Need older Joss replaccement buttcap

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asking for a friend. He has an older Joss (I think he said 80's) which must have had the butt cap replaced at some point (it's white, but not delrin which I 'think' it should be and no logo either). I know there were a few different logos that have been used.

Who/where would be the appropriate contact to acquire a new butt cap with the correct logo for this specific cue? I'm not a Joss person myself, but I thought I remembered reading something about Bill Stroud being sick and not working on cues anymore... I may be wrong though. Who can identify this and has the correct 'stamp' to make a logo correct butt cap for the cue?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Joss, obviously. Send the cue there. You won't just buy a butt cap and slap it on.

I don't know why Bill Stroud came into the conversation at all anyway, he has not been with Joss since the early 70's..

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Joss, obviously. Send the cue there. You won't just buy a butt cap and slap it on.

I don't know why Bill Stroud came into the conversation at all anyway, he has not been with Joss since the early 70's..

This is not for me - a friend asked me to do research. It is an older cue (I think he said 80's, but might be earlier) so that is why his name came up. It is certainly not anything 'newer' with logos on the joint, serials, or anything like that. Looks more like the older JW style, but again I am not all that familiar with Joss to make an educated guess.

Is the current Joss company capable of doing the older logos for something like this?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not for me - a friend asked me to do research. It is an older cue (I think he said 80's, but might be earlier) so that is why his name came up. It is certainly not anything 'newer' with logos on the joint, serials, or anything like that. Looks more like the older JW style, but again I am not all that familiar with Joss to make an educated guess.

Is the current Joss company capable of doing the older logos for something like this?

"Current" Joss company?

Capable?

Yes.

Dan Janes started Joss with Sroud...Janes is still there, always has been, and still makes custom cues.

It's Dan Janes and his son Stephen. Dan Janes, cue maker Hall of Fame. Stephen Janes was 2017 Cue Maker of the Year. He's been working for his dad since 1979.

I wouldn't send a Joss anywhere else.

IMHO nobody is more capable nor more qualified to work on a Joss.

Are you saying if might be a JW?

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

You haven't shown any pictures, but there are a few possibilities. If it's earlier than 80s, and a Delrin buttplate, I'm not aware that Joss does those anymore. Also, if it's the earlier Implex material, it's probably not available, and I doubt Joss has it. There are suitable substitutes, and I agree with sending it back to Joss. Pictures would help though, and other cue repairmen have various materials as well.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You haven't shown any pictures, but there are a few possibilities. If it's earlier than 80s, and a Delrin buttplate, I'm not aware that Joss does those anymore. Also, if it's the earlier Lucite material, it's probably not available, and I doubt Joss has it. There are suitable substitutes, and I agree with sending it back to Joss. Pictures would help though, and other cue repairmen have various materials as well.

All the best,
WW

Yes, they still do Delrin. And they will reproduce the block letter logo if the butt cap needs replaced.

To quote Dan regarding repairing the old Joss cues: "If I did it before, I can do it again."

Dan has been in this business a long time, one might be surprised what parts and materials he has squirreled away.

I do know he has no Brunswick KU bumpers though.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes, they still do Delrin. And they will reproduce the block letter logo if the butt cap needs replaced.

To quote Dan regarding repairing the old Joss cues: "If I did it before, I can do it again."

Dan has been in this business a long time, one might be surprised what parts and materials he has squirreled away.

I do know he has no Brunswick KU bumpers though.

I"ll go along with you there, but I bet he doesn't have any Implex.

All the best,
WW

pongohops

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright then. I’ll tell him to just send it to Joss then. I’ll see if I can get a few pictures next time I see him as well to get opinions on what time it is actually from.

Like I mentioned - I don’t know much about Joss. Felt like I was getting lectured a little haha. Thanks for the info everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Implex
KU bumpers
Westinghouse Micarta
Catalin Rod
Hen's teeth

Not to mention, Cortland linen.

Reminds me of a Benny Hill line, when Benny was playing detectives. Playing Poirot, Benny said, "Not to mention, Mans Laughter. Benny playing McCloud said, "Mans Laughter!!!" Benny, as Poirot said, "I said not to mention Mans Laughter!"

(I keep removing that period/space before your end/quote...mans laughter...) :rolleyes:

All the best,
WW