Moving Pool Table Slates

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have to move a disassembled table before I can get a mover to do the job.

How do you move the slates? There are three, from a 9' Gold Crown. I'm told they are in the 250lb. neighborhood each.

I'm getting too old for this stuff! Is there a special dolly one can rent or borrow to make this job manageable with two people?

Thanks,

jv

poolhound

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easiest was for me was putting bars through the bolt holes in the slates and having at 3 or 4 guys carry them.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm starting to rethink this - I think I'll just hire a mover. I'm north of 60, and could probably only get one of my kids, 30, to help. I think we stand a chance of getting injured, or breaking something.

I'm guessing in the $300 to $500 neighborhood for an already-disassembled GC V, 40 miles, 1st floor set-up? Using existing cloth (it's "new" according to the seller).

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have to move a disassembled table before I can get a mover to do the job.

How do you move the slates? There are three, from a 9' Gold Crown. I'm told they are in the 250lb. neighborhood each.

I'm getting too old for this stuff! Is there a special dolly one can rent or borrow to make this job manageable with two people?

Thanks,

jv
1-inch thick 9-foot 3-piece slates are +/- 200 pounds apiece. For a relatively short carry, 2 strong guys can manage it, or a standard dolly will work as long as you have a wide enough door opening. A rolling floor dolly can also work for rolling across a relatively flat surface by setting the slates on their edge centered on the dolly. Any way you do it, you will still need 2 men.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm starting to rethink this - I think I'll just hire a mover. I'm north of 60, and could probably only get one of my kids, 30, to help. I think we stand a chance of getting injured, or breaking something.

Good move. If get hurt your deductible will exceed the professional moving costs. Buy once cry one... Do it right the first time.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

I'm guessing in the $300 to $500 neighborhood for an already-disassembled GC V, 40 miles, 1st floor set-up? Using existing cloth (it's "new" according to the seller).

Your guess is light, even though it is not together, anyone who knows what they are doing will charge at least $500 to move and set it back up. Not moving it yourself is a smart move. You are buying one of the best pool tables out there!

My advice: If you need to move it immediately Find the best "movers" you can to move the table to its new home, then I would call Jay Spielberg. A-1 Billiards Service 603-765-6160. I have worked with him, anyone who knows anything knows that he is absolutely the best in the area, one of the best ever and he may cost more than the rest, but, it is worth it. Have him put brand spankin new Simonis when he sets it up.

That is my best advice, take it or leave it.

As my friend Frank(Gold Crown) said, "Do it right the first time.
TODAY 08:54 AM"

Trent from Toledo

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also vote for hiring this out.

To me there is nothing in the world that is worse than moving a pool table. The people that do this professionally are in reasonable shape, have the right tools, and have enough experience at it to minimize the amount of load bearing time. Well worth every penny.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Yep, pay to do it right.

You probably scored on the table, definitely scored on the chairs, so don't blow it now. Hire a pro.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

jv

You absolutely don't want to take a chance on breaking a slate! One small drop and that's it. Been there, done that. You MUST use care in moving slate! True, they are heavy, and they are also fragile. That would be a costly fix and it's not so easy to match a new slate to the other two you still have. Believe it or not (Glen and Trent can attest to this), some Gold Crowns had thicker slate than others and some had dowel fittings and some did not.

Last edited:

bigchase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moving the slate isn't too difficult if you have the right tools. They're not light by any means and you don't want to crack the slate. Check out the OTLVise it's made for moving slate. Makes it easy enough for a couple of kids to do it. Or you can do it by yourself

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPm5prkh-o

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Moving the slate isn't too difficult if you have the right tools. They're not light by any means and you don't want to crack the slate. Check out the OTLVise it's made for moving slate. Makes it easy enough for a couple of kids to do it. Or you can do it by yourself

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPm5prkh-o

I doubt he has one, access to one or wants to buy one for a one time use...

Trent from Toledo

bigchase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt he has one, access to one or wants to buy one for a one time use...

Trent from Toledo
I read somewhere that you could rent them for like $50, got to be some kind of deposit I'm sure. Hell you might want to check the rental centers in Ohio

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I read somewhere that you could rent them for like $50, got to be some kind of deposit I'm sure. Hell you might want to check the rental centers in Ohio

I HIGHLY doubt that. I cant even get in touch with John that makes them to buy one....
I have only seen 2 in 6.5 years. Jay from A-1 and Diamond. In comparison to the tools, it would be the most expensive for a table mechanic to have.

I gave my best advice. Its a Gold Crown 5, treat it like one and hire the best you can find to install one of the best pool tables made. Jay S. from A-1 Billiard Service!

Trent from Toledo

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your guess is light, even though it is not together, anyone who knows what they are doing will charge at least $500 to move and set it back up. Not moving it yourself is a smart move. You are buying one of the best pool tables out there!

My advice: If you need to move it immediately Find the best "movers" you can to move the table to its new home, then I would call Jay Spielberg. A-1 Billiards Service 603-765-6160. I have worked with him, anyone who knows anything knows that he is absolutely the best in the area, one of the best ever and he may cost more than the rest, but, it is worth it. Have him put brand spankin new Simonis when he sets it up.

That is my best advice, take it or leave it.

As my friend Frank(Gold Crown) said, "Do it right the first time.
TODAY 08:54 AM"

Trent from Toledo

The only thing I question about this is why do you recommend getting "movers" to touch the table at all? When I've moved I had my pool table mechanic take my table apart and move it and install it - I wouldn't let a "mover" touch it. Wouldn't someone like Jay who you recommend do that?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The only thing I question about this is why do you recommend getting "movers" to touch the table at all? When I've moved I had my pool table mechanic take my table apart and move it and install it - I wouldn't let a "mover" touch it. Wouldn't someone like Jay who you recommend do that?

IMO, it was implied that time is of the essence.

bigchase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can even move one piece Diamond slate with it
954b6cc04c6ffd75cb3ee2801938361b.jpg

bigchase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I HIGHLY doubt that. I cant even get in touch with John that makes them to buy one....

I have only seen 2 in 6.5 years. Jay from A-1 and Diamond. In comparison to the tools, it would be the most expensive for a table mechanic to have.

I gave my best advice. Its a Gold Crown 5, treat it like one and hire the best you can find to install one of the best pool tables made. Jay S. from A-1 Billiard Service!

Trent from Toledo
There's more than 2 out there. Trent you want some help getting in touch with John? I could probably help you there I know he's been busy with the latest production run. In box me your number I'll reach out to him for you.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Mainly because he is most likely busy, yeah, guys like him are usually not able to come at the exact moment most people would like. If you read carefully, he said he needed it done most likely before he could get someone else to do it.

There is nothing wrong with hiring a "legit" mover to move the slates, most companies who are reputable have moved many, many pool tables with no problem. THEY ALSO CARRY INSURANCE :) If they don't, then I side with you on not letting them touch it.

In a perfect situation, the mechanic would do it all if the timing works out right. Sounds like the table has to go and he needs to get it out.

Not sure why you are "questioning" anything I said. I have plenty of experience and my advice is solid. I hope I cleared that up for you and have yourself a nice evening :)

Trent from Toledo:dance:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional movers are experienced with moving things a whole lot more valuable, more fragile and even a lot heavier than pool tables. I would recommend getting a mechanic to break it down for the movers, label and box up all the parts, and to individually crate the slates. It's not like you're asking the movers to set it back up for you. Pool table mechanics are not likely to want to do the entire job including the disassemble, move and reassemble, unless both locations are within an hour or so of where the installer resides. In the case of a GC5, I'm guessing the price quote on that from a reputable mechanic would be approaching 4 figures.

Last edited: