Low Deflection Shaft/Jump Cue Combo?

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While competing in a local tournament, I noticed another person using a jump cue on one of their shots. While this wouldn't normally draw my attention in any special way, something about it caught me off guard. This caused me to do a bit of a double take, upon which I noticed that they had a Venom2 low deflection shaft on it. Although I didn't get a close enough look at it, I presume that they had upgraded the tip to a phenolic (or similarly hard) tip.

This was interesting to me, due in part to the fact that I hadn't considered using a low deflection shaft on a jump cue. I have a few friends that have jump cues, along with jump/break cue combos (which I also have, and use). All of these people are using the standard shaft for their cue.

I'm trying to figure out the benefits of using a low deflection shaft on a jump cue. Would it make it more accurate?

My thoughts are this: On one hand, I suspect not, because the amount of time the tip comes into contact with the cue ball versus the forward momentum being place on the cue ball would be significantly less than what would occur during a normal forward stroke. As a result, it would seem that you would lack ample opportunity to reap the benefits of the shaft if this thought process is correct. On the other hand, considering how briefly you are contacting the cue ball, and how little opportunity you have to apply forward momentum, it would seem prudent to control as many variables in a situation like that as possible; not only to increase your odds of making contact with the object ball, but to possibly pocket it and/or gain position.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on this subject as well. A simple google search hadn't turned up any significantly relevant results. I look forward to hearing from all of you folks on this subject.

-Poodle of Doom

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not seen an LD shaft being able to jump well at all, there is something in the properties of the LD shaft that makes them bad to jump with. I mean really bad. I can't get over 1/4 of a ball with my LD shafts. I was trying to show someone the shot where you jump over a portion of the ball next to the object ball for position, tried like 6 times with my cue, then got a house cue and made it first try.

There was a discussion on here a while ago about it, and one of the OB folks chimed in and said "yep, they don't jump well, and we don't really know why exactly".

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I have not seen an LD shaft being able to jump well at all, there is something in the properties of the LD shaft that makes them bad to jump with. I mean really bad. I can't get over 1/4 of a ball with my LD shafts. I was trying to show someone the shot where you jump over a portion of the ball next to the object ball for position, tried like 6 times with my cue, then got a house cue and made it first try.

There was a discussion on here a while ago about it, and one of the OB folks chimed in and said "yep, they don't jump well, and we don't really know why exactly".

It’s the hollows as all the solid or negative loaded lds I’ve tried can and do jump.....and those are harder than normal cues as well just due to less mass of course......big hammer head vs little hammer head driving a nail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the hollows as all the solid or negative loaded lds I’ve tried can and do jump.....and those are harder than normal cues as well just due to less mass of course......big hammer head vs little hammer head driving a nail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The shafts that I use are solid maple (not spliced or hollow) and don't jump well. I'll play around a bit with that shot tonight and see what happens. I have two different Players HXT LD shafts (solid), two OB 1 a 29" and one 30"(hollow spliced) and two LD shafts from a local cuemaker also solid maple. Those two from the local maker are the ones I have been using for a while now and that is what I was using to do that shot.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The shafts that I use are solid maple (not spliced or hollow) and don't jump well. I'll play around a bit with that shot tonight and see what happens. I have two different Players HXT LD shafts (solid), two OB 1 a 29" and one 30"(hollow spliced) and two LD shafts from a local cuemaker also solid maple. Those two from the local maker are the ones I have been using for a while now and that is what I was using to do that shot.

remember i never stated they jump or can jump well.....they masse differiently thats for certain.....it would be cool for a jumping robot to compare the shafts...that would be super cool actually lol. Ill bet those players got soft soft ferrules that are filled like lucasis? does anyone know

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
remember i never stated they jump or can jump well.....they masse differiently thats for certain.....it would be cool for a jumping robot to compare the shafts...that would be super cool actually lol. Ill bet those players got soft soft ferrules that are filled like lucasis? does anyone know

Is this a thing? Could someone set up a robot, and film it to determine the outcomes and provide an analysis?

Having a lesser density makes sense. The shaft would provide a lesser downward force on the cue ball, making it harder to jump. This lends to the first half of what I stated above. Thanks for the opinions folks.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Is this a thing? Could someone set up a robot, and film it to determine the outcomes and provide an analysis?

Having a lesser density makes sense. The shaft would provide a lesser downward force on the cue ball, making it harder to jump. This lends to the first half of what I stated above. Thanks for the opinions folks.

Sure they could....wouldn’t need to be a robot necessarily just a machine and some hfr recordings should tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure they could....wouldn’t need to be a robot necessarily just a machine and some hfr recordings should tell the tale.

Would be interesting to see. The older I get, the more interested I am in the technical aspect of things. Even if you can't use what you learn for the goal you wanted, you may be able to develop skills and abilities elsewhere with said knowledge.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Would be interesting to see. The older I get, the more interested I am in the technical aspect of things. Even if you can't use what you learn for the goal you wanted, you may be able to develop skills and abilities elsewhere with said knowledge.

Hell I been like that for 33 years....drives me mad and saves me same time lol

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell I been like that for 33 years....drives me mad and saves me same time lol

Guess I know what I have to look forward to now. Nothing wrong with that really, as long as one remembers to keep their curiosity in check. :)

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Guess I know what I have to look forward to now. Nothing wrong with that really, as long as one remembers to keep their curiosity in check. :)

That’s why books are great they can’t blow you up or eat you or beat you up lol.

“You like married women? Nah read about that once....rick flair is the only one who gets away with it all the time everytime....I read about noodling too”

Lol

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I'll second that - any off-the-wall house cue jumps 100% better than my very-low-squirt shaft. I assume it has something to do with the low end mass, but I don't know.

pj
chgo

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I'll second that - any off-the-wall house cue jumps 100% better than my very-low-squirt shaft. I assume it has something to do with the low end mass, but I don't know.

pj

chgo

Put a basketball on top a tennis ball drop it...now put the basketball under the tennis ball

Ahhhh you like huh lol

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member

Few weeks ago we made carbon break shaft. 14mm diameter low deflection shaft with samsara tip on top.
It jumps really well (6inch apart full ball jump with full cue) and deflection is similar to pred 314/3
ad96ce305adfca33528bff7044f4c70d.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Few weeks ago we made carbon break shaft. 14mm diameter low deflection shaft with samsara tip on top.
It jumps really well (6inch apart full ball jump with full cue) and deflection is similar to pred 314/3
ad96ce305adfca33528bff7044f4c70d.jpg

Now, does the cue perform better than others as a result of the carbon fiber? Or are there some other design elements to take into account? Why do you think there is a difference in performance compared to other low deflection cues?

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the tip

Poison makes jump cues and jump/break cues. They perform well. The shafts on these are the same as their playing shaft, just with a phenolic tip. Poison's shafts are all solid maple with the front end cored with a lighter wood.

That being said, most any shaft with a phenolic tip will be able to perform jump shots, even hollowed out shafts like predators. I used to have a BK2 cue that I could perform jumps with easily.

Its mostly the tip that makes a jump cue jump.

While competing in a local tournament, I noticed another person using a jump cue on one of their shots. While this wouldn't normally draw my attention in any special way, something about it caught me off guard. This caused me to do a bit of a double take, upon which I noticed that they had a Venom2 low deflection shaft on it. Although I didn't get a close enough look at it, I presume that they had upgraded the tip to a phenolic (or similarly hard) tip.

This was interesting to me, due in part to the fact that I hadn't considered using a low deflection shaft on a jump cue. I have a few friends that have jump cues, along with jump/break cue combos (which I also have, and use). All of these people are using the standard shaft for their cue.

I'm trying to figure out the benefits of using a low deflection shaft on a jump cue. Would it make it more accurate?

My thoughts are this: On one hand, I suspect not, because the amount of time the tip comes into contact with the cue ball versus the forward momentum being place on the cue ball would be significantly less than what would occur during a normal forward stroke. As a result, it would seem that you would lack ample opportunity to reap the benefits of the shaft if this thought process is correct. On the other hand, considering how briefly you are contacting the cue ball, and how little opportunity you have to apply forward momentum, it would seem prudent to control as many variables in a situation like that as possible; not only to increase your odds of making contact with the object ball, but to possibly pocket it and/or gain position.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on this subject as well. A simple google search hadn't turned up any significantly relevant results. I look forward to hearing from all of you folks on this subject.

-Poodle of Doom

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Poison makes jump cues and jump/break cues. They perform well. The shafts on these are the same as their playing shaft, just with a phenolic tip. Poison's shafts are all solid maple with the front end cored with a lighter wood.

That being said, most any shaft with a phenolic tip will be able to perform jump shots, even hollowed out shafts like predators. I used to have a BK2 cue that I could perform jumps with easily.

My j/b jumps 10x better (easier) than poison. They are not close to even compare

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it had a phenolic ferrule/tip combo, this would be okay with me. However, it appeared to have a standard ferrule. The reason I point this out is that a harder ferrule could absorb more shock from the stroke, and distribute it around the inner, less dense, material. Thusly, it would negate part of the low deflection issue here. But, I digress. I'm not sure if they upgraded that either.

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Now, does the cue perform better than others as a result of the carbon fiber? Or are there some other design elements to take into account? Why do you think there is a difference in performance compared to other low deflection cues?
High energy transfer, low deflection compared to standard break shaft (pivot point is ~ 1 diamond length) so very accurate for breaking with side.

Amazing for jump even vith leather tip (samsara)

I raise my average break speed almost 2 mp/h with this shaft

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is my J-100 jump cue. Made from one of my carbon shafts , but with our jump tip material , not a playing tip. The cue weighs 100 grams. All my carbon shafts are LD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJDM04rE-5g&ab_channel=DavidLihou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wue83sHQUok&t=5s&ab_channel=DavidLihou

Neil