Tip Sizes Compared

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Tip size is a hot AzB topic - we seem to think it matters. Here's a scale drawing (zoomed in to ~twice actual size) showing the relative differences in the normal range of sizes - 11 to 13 mm + a 10 mm snooker tip for comparison. I imagined bigger differences, maybe because of all the discussion about it...

pj
chgo

10-11-12-13 mm tips.jpg

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep getting invalid attachment errors when clicking the link.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, the page refresh fixed the image for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually use about 13mm on my shafts- most of my shafts have about a 12 inch pro taper- all are straight maple shafts- I found that even an 11.5mm tip is OK for pocket billiards for me IF the shaft has more of a conical taper than a pro taper- such as using an 11.5 mm tipped carom cue -
I don't think I would play with anything less than 12.5 with a pro taper maple shaft.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like smaller tip sizes around 12 - 12.5MM because I have small hands and it makes closed bridges easier for me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like smaller tip sizes around 12 - 12.5MM because I have small hands and it makes closed bridges easier for me.
I like 12.75-13 for opposite reasons. I have long fingers and smaller shafts feel like a straw when i use them. I couldn't make a ball with a Z Pred shaft and sold it two days after i got it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
16- 17” pro taper &12.75 - 13mm tips seems ideal; shaft weight needs lto be >3.75 ozs. and < 4.3 ozs.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The difference between an 11.75mm and a 13mm tip may not seem like much of a difference, but it is certainly noticeable when placed against a 2 1/4" ball, especially, say, a tip below center.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I use a 10 mm tip with a conical taper, like a snooker cue for pool (I added it to the pic in the first post for comparison). The straight taper stiffens the hit while the small tip encourages precision by showing me a little more precisely where I'm hitting the CB (and reduces squirt, especially since it's hollow).

pj
chgo

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yech, you stepped into spin!

The big deal about tip size is that the vast majority of players aim with the center of their shaft regardless of what part of the tip they are hitting with using spin.

When you consider both the tip and the cue ball dropping away from the aim point those seemingly tiny differences in tip size make a big difference. Add the popular hard tip and where most people are aiming never makes contact.

When it comes to aiming the advantage of a smaller shaft is simple. It reduces the error created by aiming with the center of the shaft and hitting with the edge of the tip.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The big deal about tip size is that the vast majority of players aim with the center of their shaft regardless of what part of the tip they are hitting with using spin.
Tip size doesn’t affect where the tip contacts the CB - tip curvature does (but only a tiny bit). I think most people confuse the two.

pj
chgo

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
easy to put to the test

Tip size doesn’t affect where the tip contacts the CB - tip curvature does (but only a tiny bit). I think most people confuse the two.

pj
chgo

The smaller tip hits further out on the cue ball than a bigger tip when you aim with center shaft. As soon as you quit playing with rigid two dimensional drawings this is obvious. What you are saying about curvature would only be true if the edge of the tip didn't come into play. It does when using a lot of spin.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The smaller tip hits further out on the cue ball than a bigger tip when you aim with center shaft. As soon as you quit playing with rigid two dimensional drawings this is obvious.
Rigid two dimensional drawings sometimes show that what you think is obvious is really wrong. Here's one that shows how different size tips with the same curvature contact the CB on the same point:

tips.jpg

What you are saying about curvature would only be true if the edge of the tip didn't come into play. It does when using a lot of spin.
And here's one that shows how even the smallest tip (10mm) with a flatter curvature (nickel shape) doesn't hit on the tip's edge until you apply maximum side spin - in other words tip size doesn't change tip/ball contact even at the extreme:

Tip Size vs Curvature.jpg

And finally, here's one that shows even tip curvature doesn't matter much:

Tip Curvature and Contact Points.jpg

pj
chgo

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
try looking at chalk marks on a cue ball

Try looking at chalk marks on a cue ball with markings or using another ball that lets you see how far out you hit the ball and the shape of the chalk mark. Get out near the miscue limit.

Post some pictures of that.

Hu

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Try looking at chalk marks on a cue ball with markings or using another ball that lets you see how far out you hit the ball and the shape of the chalk mark. Get out near the miscue limit.

Post some pictures of that.

Hu
Here's a pic I have on hand of a near maximum spin hit (maximum would be about on the stripe's edge) made with my 10mm tip. What does it tell you?

pj
chgo

max spin.jpg

Last edited: