CSI Presents...The 2015 Tiger Challenge: Shane Van Boening vs Mike Dechaine

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Riddles

1) What is the attraction and value of pitting the top 2 American guys who have played each other countless times? Last year's theme was USA v Taiwan Typhoon , what is this year's theme? There is Corey v Jayson in other match and this Tiger Challenge could have been a USA v Euro like SVB v Niels or SVB v Thorsten
It could rally the Mosconi Cup groupies

2) You mean in whole of Vegas, we cannot beg, borrow or steal a 9 footer for 2 pro guys to play on?

:D

tumblr_inline_niybvqLwMg1sdnmt2.gif

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Contrary to public opinion there's a whole lot of skill required to play good pool on a bar table, especially a Diamond. The balls are more congested and position play can get dicey. The table speed is harder to judge as well. Take a look at who excels in bar table tourneys. It's still the best players who are winning. It's a gross misnomer to think that lesser players have an advantage on a smaller table.

That is quite contrary to what most people who are against bar boxes are saying.

Yes bar boxes add clusters, yes they can cause issues with that, but professional level players on bar boxes are very rarely challenged by potting balls on a bar box and generally shoot at everything and make all but the most brutally tough shots the box can offer. This is why bar box matches normally degrade into break and run shootouts and the luck of the break with regards to making a ball and keeping control of the table and not getting those "clusters" to deal with becomes the primary factors in who manages to win at the end. We are not talking about SVB against Joe League player, we are talking about pros playing pros and the pro players are not challenged by the potting on the box "NEARLY" enough. Unless they get hooked they are normally out.

Potting should "never" be a forgone conclusion in pro pool. On the box it pretty much is and that is terrible for the sport.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is what it is! There have been great bar table events in pool for decades now, as long as I've been around. And bar table pool has been a mainstay of our game in this country for just as long, with legendary match-ups for big money down through the years. The best bar table players are also legends, names like David Matlock, Keith McCready, Wade Crane and yes even Buddy Hall! Not shortstops by any means.

It bothers me not one iota that we have two more great tournaments put on by CSI that are being contested on Diamond seven footers, which just happen to be the best bar tables ever made by a long shot. CSI also produces the very successful U.S. Bar Table Championships held every year in Reno. These are great events that attract large fields of players who compete for some decent prize money. What's not to like about that? It may be true that lesser players like me have a chance to win matches and get in the money, but at the end of the day it's the champions who win the big money.

I don't really care to debate the merits of playing on a big table versus playing on a small table. It's all pool in my book and I'm glad we still have some good tournaments in the USA. I will enjoy this event just as much as I enjoy the Bigfoot tourney we do at DCC every year. I like to see good pool in all its various forms. And it will take some damn good pool to win the upcoming U.S. Open Ten Ball and Eight Ball tourneys. There will be myriad thrills and spills along the way and some of us will get to see it in person or on the stream and others (who don't like these kind of events) won't.

And that sir is the bottom line here. No one makes you watch it or not watch it! To that degree this is still a free country. :thumbup:

P.S. When you see great players like Shane, Dennis O., Warren, Dechaine, Bergman, Woodward, J. Hall, Frost and many others coming then you know there's going to be some great pool on display. It's just a little different test of their skills.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... You mean in whole of Vegas, we cannot beg, borrow or steal a 9 footer for 2 pro guys to play on? ...

Actually, 9-footer(s) will be on site for the American Rotation national championship.

But these two challenge matches are lead-ins to the two US Opens being played on 7-footers. So it is natural for CSI to want to use 7-footers.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, 9-footer(s) will be on site for the American Rotation national championship.

But these two challenge matches are lead-ins to the two US Opens being played on 7-footers. So it is natural for CSI to want to use 7-footers.

Do we know for sure that these one-on-one matches will be on 7-footers? It doesn't say either way in the announcement. It stands to reason, since they're pushing 7-footers otherwise, but I think it would be funny if we all had this big hissy fit and they actually end up using 9-footers.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Point

Contrary to public opinion there's a whole lot of skill required to play good pool on a bar table, especially a Diamond. The balls are more congested and position play can get dicey. The table speed is harder to judge as well. Take a look at who excels in bar table tourneys. It's still the best players who are winning. It's a gross misnomer to think that lesser players have an advantage on a smaller table.

Mike Page, and his Fargo Ratings, back your statement.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I will pass on watching this short race on a bar table, does nothing for me. Getting a 9 foot table for them to play on shouldn't be that difficult one would think.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will pass on watching this short race on a bar table, does nothing for me. Getting a 9 foot table for them to play on shouldn't be that difficult one would think.

I really think you should do that Lenny in your next tournament. :grin-square:

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder why 7 footers? Are there more audience in US for 7 footers compared to norm? Or is it to promote bar boxes?

Farhan

RSPECT
Wonder why 7 footers? Are there more audience in US for 7 footers compared to norm? Or is it to promote bar boxes?

Money.

Event promoters save money by having league nationals and the Open event played on the same tables as opposed to moving in and setting up two sets of tables.

Diamond makes money by promoting a more reasonable home table. Where people would be reluctant or unable to pull the trigger on a 9ft table for financial reasons or space constraints, the 7fter becomes a viable option.

To tell it like it's about anything other than $$$ is a lie.

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money argument might make sense for bar box tournaments. But in this instance how difficult if can be to find ONE 9 footer?

Farhan

RSPECT
Money argument might make sense for bar box tournaments. But in this instance how difficult if can be to find ONE 9 footer?

As other posters pointed out earlier, bringing in the 9fter would undermine CSI's edict that '7fters are the future of pool' :rolleyes:

goldball

Registered
Its on the 7 foot table to get the female audience interested, but we all know 6 foot is the future of pool. :wink:

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
I won't even watch a free YouTube match if its on a bar box.

Looks like a kiddy table on the stream.

Given the size of MD's head... I bet when he breaks, you won't even be able to see the table :wink:

2strong4u

Banned
Its on the 7 foot table to get the female audience interested, but we all know 6 foot is the future of pool. :wink:

I was thinking those 18 by 9 inch desktop tables with spring loaded cues. This game is getting weaker everyday...it's a shame.