Break tip suggestions

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I just installed a Madman break/jump tip a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. I don't jump so I cannot comment on that end, but it feels and breaks like phenolic to me and I haven't miscued yet. It seems to grip the cueball well and hasn't gotten shiny yet like phenolic does. I used to use phenolic, then went to samsara, and didn't care for it. This seems to provide the hit of phenolic but the control of a hard leather tip.
Dave

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like Dave I am all over the Madman BreakJump. I like to Jump

QUOTE=Dave38;5177029]I just installed a Madman break/jump tip a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. I don't jump so I cannot comment on that end, but it feels and breaks like phenolic to me and I haven't miscued yet. It seems to grip the cueball well and hasn't gotten shiny yet like phenolic does. I used to use phenolic, then went to samsara, and didn't care for it. This seems to provide the hit of phenolic but the control of a hard leather tip.
Dave[/QUOTE]

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was actually in a similar situation last fall. I too also have a BK3 and was contemplating on which tip to buy as I didn't like the feel of the phenolic tip. After some extensive research, I've read many, many positive reviews about Samsara tips as a replacement to the phenolic and I went with that. It was a huge difference and my breaks were significantly stronger and way more controlled. It holds chalk very well and provides good grip. Breaking with a phenolic tip was like a slap to the ball, whereas the hard leather tip by Samsara felt like a good solid punch.

I've been having nothing but positive experiences with this tip and was very satisfied with my purchase.

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had the Taom on a Mezz Power Break + Pro R shaft for about a month, the newer version sourced from Mika. So far, I'm enjoying it very much, and have very little negative to say about it.

Prior to this, I ripped off the stock Mezz Sonic tip to try out an Outsville Solid break tip. I'm a fan of their Ki-tech soft and medium tips, but this Solid tip played extremely soft, feeling only slightly harder than a typical layered soft tip, and definitely not a satisfying amount of energy transfer into the ball.

The Taom doesn't feel too hard like phenolic. It has a sort of elasticity to it that feels like it's bouncing energy into the cue ball upon contact. I'd been using a BK2 before picking up the Mezz, and in a side by side comparison of the setups, I'm happier using the Taom + Mezz for ~80% power breaks, and the BK2 for breaks harder than that. My break style attempts to mimic Ko Pin Yi (who does use a BK2 it appears), and for this style, I'm quite pleased with the Taom. I wasn't so big on jumping with the BK2, I never felt comfortable jumping the distance that I could clear a full ball with using that shaft; perhaps the low deflection properties of the shaft don't make it as practical a jumper for my abilities than the much stiffer Mezz Pro R shaft. With the Taom on the Mezz, I can clear a full ball about a foot away with confidence.

Here's a video of a few breaks I recorded with the Taom-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aeo3_phuLGU

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a white diamond on a McDermott Stinger. Not sure how it would fare on the BK but I have to say it is 1000% better than the stock phenolic tip in terms of break quality and no miscues.