The more or less Aiming system

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This aiming system is an improvement on the HAMB method. It changes it from a million to 950,000 balls to be a pro. lol.

I thought of it as a joke but then I tried it once when practicing and it really, really locked me in. It's a great thing to do when warming up or practicing shots you have trouble with or have missed recently.

Basically you just look at a shot and aim to undercut it - or overcut it. Then if you think you are not cutting the shot enough you say 'more' and if you think you are overcutting it you say 'less.' Out loud.

When you can't tell if you are overcutting or undercutting then you shoot.

It helps your mind make the connection and come at seeing the shot from a different perspective.

Try it. I think you'll be very happy with how quickly you get locked in and also how much easier it is to start from a known wrong aim line to bring it in to focus.

You can do this either standing behind the ball or when you are down on the shot, depending on your pre-shot routine.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent! At the rate I'm playing I just might hit 950,000 by the time I'm 80. I'm pumped about this!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This aiming system is an improvement on the HAMB method. It changes it from a million to 950,000 balls to be a pro. lol.

I thought of it as a joke but then I tried it once when practicing and it really, really locked me in. It's a great thing to do when warming up or practicing shots you have trouble with or have missed recently.

Basically you just look at a shot and aim to undercut it - or overcut it. Then if you think you are not cutting the shot enough you say 'more' and if you think you are overcutting it you say 'less.' Out loud.

It helps your mind make the connection and come at seeing the shot from a different perspective.

Try it. I think you'll be very happy with how quickly you get locked in and also how much easier it is to start from a known wrong aim line to bring it in to focus.

You can do this either standing behind the ball or when you are down on the shot, depending on your pre-shot routine.
I like it, especially as a trigger for focusing. It could also be a handy way to weird out your opponent during a match.

I also like the name, more or less.

pj
chgo

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it, especially as a trigger for focusing. It could also be a handy way to weird out your opponent during a match.

I also like the name, more or less.

pj
chgo

It's actually useful. Like I said I thought of it as a spoof on aiming systems but I tried it and it does seem to lock you in faster.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
without calling out loud i use it sometimes for back cuts
while standing back
to zone in on the contact point/ "hit " needed to make the ball
i tend to overcut these so i start out too fat (thick )

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice, now try this with CTE PRO ONE!

Instead of starting with "some" wrong aimline, choose the correct CTE perception, and instead of "more or less" do an outside sweep/pivot for less and inside sweep/pivot for more, I think you would do a lot better since both are stricktly defined as opposed to your recommendation.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds very reasonable to me.
However, many pool players are walking microcosms of the sheer contrariness of what human nature can produce.
They will go all 'around the barn' to avoid studying something they do not agree with or think is insane. They will even invent other things and in the process will invest hours of mental energy in questionable efforts that could be otherwise devoted to proven concepts. Some will write books about how to play the game better and then turn right around and admit they don't even do the things they've touted in their book.
Few sportsmen, who know the game of baseball well, would argue against the idea of teaching budding players the importance of training to hit the low and away pitch as an invaluable aid to progressing as a hitter. The training to become better at that is defined and well planned....been around for decades,
Yet, some of those same sportsmen, due to prejudices or simply being hard headed will argue up one side and down the other about the idea of a defined, well planned, approach to aiming a cue ball at an object ball in the game of pool.
Interesting people, pool players. I am in Spartanburg, SC now at the pool tournament and I see people, (supposedly sharp gamblers) making bets they have an absolute terrible chance of winning. Yet, they bet thousands of dollars as if money was water in a stream. It's almost as if the levels of achievement and accomplishment are defined by how much money they lose as opposed to how much they win. Except for a few, of course.
Some are even using aiming systems too. :wink:

Ref the statement in bold above....

I can't imagine anyone saying they don't utilize the info in their own book. Sounds like fake news, pot-stirring tactics. Can't see any other reason why someone would post such a statement, besides simply being misinformed, and gullible if they actually believe it.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

I've taught the same method without the need to purposely undercut to begin. I prefer they stroke softly and go for a thick hit (a lot of amateurs overcut constantly).

The player, however, is also to slow everything down a bit so they don't take the cue ball far off line of their aim and gain awareness.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Very nice, now try this with CTE PRO ONE!

Instead of starting with "some" wrong aimline, choose the correct CTE perception, and instead of "more or less" do an outside sweep/pivot for less and inside sweep/pivot for more, I think you would do a lot better since both are stricktly defined as opposed to your recommendation.
You might do better with this technique, but not because the sweep/pivot is “strictly defined” - if it was you could only make one cut angle per “perception”. I think the sweep/pivot is a way of “scanning” across a small range of cut angles until you get to the one your subconscious tells you is correct for the shot - like every other sweep/pivot method.

For instance, you could try fractions, or 90-90, or shishkebab, or just start slightly thick or thin and then sweep/pivot without naming it.

pj
chgo

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might do better with this technique, but not because the sweep/pivot is “strictly defined” - if it was you could only make one cut angle per “perception”. I think the sweep/pivot is a way of “scanning” across a small range of cut angles until you get to the one your subconscious tells you is correct for the shot - like every other sweep/pivot method.

For instance, you could try fractions, or 90-90, or shishkebab, or just start slightly thick or thin and then sweep/pivot without naming it.

pj
chgo

That isn't correct because one perception is not one angle, 15° perception is not a 15° angle, it can be 10° or 20° or whatever, it depends on the position of the CB and OB on the table, but you still align to the same perception lines, same aim line and same sight line, but for some reason which I haven't yet grasped why, it positions you differently physicaly to the CB and OB, different overlap, even thought it is the same perception and lines, that is why the same sweep/pivot gives different results for different angles and same perception, which usually ends up in the direct pocket or as a bank.

Again, I don't yet understand why is it like that, but if I ever find out I'll surely let you know.

This has been written thousand times and yet you, Lou, Dan and others still repeat the same things over and over, there I wrote it for thousand and a first time and I promise that I won't write it again and won't answer any more of your questions or comments regarding this topic because I don't have them at this moment, I just have the results and I am very satisfied with them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...one perception is not one angle, 15° perception is not a 15° angle, it can be 10° or 20° or whatever, it depends on the position of the CB and OB on the table, but you still align to the same perception lines, same aim line and same sight line, but for some reason which I haven't yet grasped why, it positions you differently physicaly to the CB and OB...

...I don't yet understand why is it like that....

This has been written thousand times
Yeah, especially that part in blue.

I just have the results and I am very satisfied with them.
That's great (I mean it). Someday you might even be interested to learn how it works.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, especially that part in blue .

That's great (I mean it). And since you're not interested in learning anything new about the part you "haven't yet grasped" and "don't yet understand", maybe you should stick with the results and avoid unnecessary conflict.

pj
chgo

You are the one who should avoid the conflict since you are the one usually starting it and for which you've been banned several times and warned again just a few days ago.

I am interested in learning the part in blue, but that part has nothing to do with you and I really don't need your help with it since I am graduate electrical engineer and a very good matematician and physicist.

If you want to continue with this I promise you that I won't give up and let you have the last word, where will that get you, its anybodys guess, so just keep at it.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seemed like a good time to bump this one back up again. :)

I started playing again after a 2 year covid layoff. This is one that seems to knock the rust out pretty quick.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A similar system is what I would call the Goldilocks System. Aim clearly too full, then too thin, then pick somewhere in between. Luther Lassiter is said to have done this.

I think it mostly works for the same reason the More or Less System works: you pay attention to the angle. Lots of systems work simply by forcing the shooter to do that.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A similar system is what I would call the Goldilocks System. Aim clearly too full, then too thin, then pick somewhere in between. Luther Lassiter is said to have done this.

I think it mostly works for the same reason the More of Less System works: you pay attention to the angle. Lots of systems work simply by forcing the shooter to do that.
Or this (from a 2012 post):

I agree about forcing focus...

Here's the illustration of the method from that post - it's about the same as described by sixpack and Bob.

pj
chgo

halves.jpg

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve been doing something similar. I am aiming by not trying to pinpoint a finite contact point on the object ball. in other words there is a margin of error where you can make the ball (2.25” ball in a 4.25“ to 4.5“ pocket). I’m contacting the object ball with what appears and feels like ’more‘ surface contact, not pinpoint contact. It’s not easy to explain. I think I’m playing more with my subconscious.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I’ve been doing something similar. I am aiming by not trying to pinpoint a finite contact point on the object ball. in other words there is a margin of error where you can make the ball (2.25” ball in a 4.25“ to 4.5“ pocket). I’m contacting the object ball with what appears and feels like more contact. It’s not easy to explain. I think I’m playing more with my subconsciou.
Sounds good, I've heard this called "a contact patch" as there is a margin of error and no need for anxious fine-tuning on many of the cut shots we face.