"what is your favorite drill"
responded
its the YOYO
does anyone know this drill?
thanks in advance

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha. Just read the same thing and looking for the answer too and Google brought me here.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe set up stop shots of varying distances, but each time draw the CB back to its original location.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
maybe set up stop shots of varying distances, but each time draw the CB back to its original location.

Then it wouldn't be a stop shot, but rather a draw shot? :rolleyes:

A good drill none the less. :grin:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
in this months billiards digest
makhael parris reigning world junior champ
responding to a question
"what is your favorite drill"
responded
its the YOYO
does anyone know this drill?
thanks in advance

Maybe he has a FacePlant page and someone could ask him directly.

mrgolfer03

Registered
Yoyo

Yo-yo drill is
1. Place a ball just off the rail on the 2nd diamond of the long tail.
2. Place one on the opposite long rail so they are across from each other.
3. Ball in hand behind the side pocket
4. Make the object ball, bring the cue ball back above the side pocket.
5. Shoot the other ball and then replace both and keep going back side to side.

Hope this helps

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yo-yo

Funny! I’ve been doing this for years. Came up with it on my own because it’s such a critical shot. Sometimes you come one rail, sometimes two. Softer speed can be tricky to maintain your slide and you can decelerate, firmer speed reduces the margin of error on the pocket. I practice this on the 3rd diamond for a while, then eventually the 3rd diamond shooting shortside shape shooting them past the side while going back and forth.

Very good practice. One of a handful of rail drills I strongly recommend.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yo-yo drill is

Hope this helps
Darren Appleton does a variation of this where he pockets a ball in corner, comes back up by the side and shoots next one i opposite corner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgEZpg2swKI&list=PLCb6gwMWaVLAu_INNKNS7ksiU05qMk6EF Seen him do this both following and drawing. Great drill. Found another one: https://www.facebook.com/darrendynamiteappleton/videos/378425989774703/

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yo-yo drill is

Hope this helps

thanks.......:thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy walks past the table while you are playing and you say "yo". You bet with someone whether the guy replies "yo".

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I hope Johan doesn't get angry at me for giving out some of his golden knowledge that turns top players into champions :grin-square:

YoYo_by_Johan.jpg

That's the initial setup. Two object balls are frozen against that diamond. Cue ball is in hand to start with, and you can make it little harder for yourself placing it closer to the headstring (or even behind it), or, vice versa, closer to the balls. The only thing is you shouldn't cross the dashed line on initial placement.

You start with any of those balls, left or right corner, doesn't matter. The goal is playing position on the other object ball. And you do it only by bringing the cue ball back - with a shot which is kind of a stun - to the darkened ara of the table, crossing the dashed line. The best way to achieve this is driving the cue ball to hit the rail between the side pocket and the first diamond to it.

After you make a ball you spot another one at the same place.

Basically this drill is a series of crossovers, rail and out for position, same stun shot every time.

[ If you fall too close to the rail you cannot stun the cue ball any longer, so that way your next shot is tougher because you must go back to the head rail and out with a deep draw.
If you fall too far from the rail you cannot hold the cue ball travel and might end up with another tough shot, so any significant error builds up pretty rapidly ]

I recall Fedor Gorst made something like 24 or 28 once. And the record holder, as per Johan on his FB page I think, must be Sky Woodward with 35 or 36, something like that. Those are balls pocketed in a row without a miss and with following the requirement - crossing the dashed line on every shot. How sick is that!

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I hope Johan doesn't get angry at me for giving out some of his golden knowledge that turns top players into champions :grin-square:

View attachment 530595

That's the initial setup. Two object balls are frozen against that diamond. Cue ball is in hand to start with, and you can make it little harder for yourself placing it closer to the headstring (or even behind it), or, vice versa, closer to the balls. The only thing is you shouldn't cross the dashed line on initial placement.

You start with any of those balls, left or right corner, doesn't matter. The goal is playing position on the other object ball. And you do it only by bringing the cue ball back - with a shot which is kind of a stun - to the darkened ara of the table, crossing the dashed line. The best way to achieve this is driving the cue ball to hit the rail between the side pocket and the first diamond to it.

Basically this drill is a series of crossovers, rail and out for position, same stun shot every time.

[ If you fall too close to the rail you cannot stun the cue ball any longer, so that way your next shot is tougher because you must go back to the head rail and out with a deep draw.
If you fall too far from the rail you cannot hold the cue ball travel and might end up with another tough shot, so any significant error builds up pretty rapidly ]

I recall Fedor Gorst made something like 24 or 28 once. And the record holder, as per Johan on his FB page I think, must be Sky Woodward with 35 or 36, something like that. Those are balls pocketed in a row without a miss and with following the requirement - crossing the dashed line on every shot. How sick is that!

Wow Mike its good to see you post! I was wondering how you have been? Thanks for the drill and info:cool:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 530595

Stun?? Looks like you have to draw it back. Right?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have to bring it back or can you go forward as well? I'm doin' this tomorrow. Looks like a great practice routine.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Do you have to bring it back or can you go forward as well? I'm doin' this tomorrow. Looks like a great practice routine.

No way, going forward is not an option. That ruins all the idea behind the Yo-Yo. Only backwards.
As for the stroke, you will see that a pure draw shot drives you too far from the balls. And also if rebounds off a cushion could give you an unpleasant cut angle.

Great thing about this drill is amateur players rarely realize that only a tad below center on the cue ball drives it all the way back already. And to perform good doing this drill, ideally you want only one type of stroke. Like I mentioned, your target on the second rail for cue ball travel should be one diamond from the side pocket (as soon as the whitey crosses the dashed line). Oh, and try to keep that cue ball for good cut angle, like 1 foot distance from the side rail and no more.

Wow Mike its good to see you post!
Yeah, I had to take quite a while off the forums being extremely busy with everything. And actually I still am (wish it all paid off though :eek:), but due to recent Kremlin Cup and the DreamChallenge I just couldn't resist :thumbup: Hope to be posting more in future. AZB is a love forever. Happy it still goes on in this time of social media (which kinda killed most forums)...

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 530595

thanks for the details and diagram....:thumbup: