10 commandments of one pocket.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Count your opponents balls and the balls on the table. Be sure no balls are stuck in the ball return or in another pockets. Know the score!!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you’re 3 or 4 balls up and now you’re fighting for the next ball....
...start moving the balls up table...he needs them more than you do.
...take away a big run.

Never thought of that one.
Makes sense.
Thanks,

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thou shalt have patience throughout the entire rack.

Thou shalt learn to hit the long deep cut shot softly while controlling the cue ball.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Though shall protecteth thy lead..

Always know the score...

Eliminate the THREAT

TAKE the shot when you can MAKE the shot..

Always look for dead ones and caroms..

Don't let your opponent sleep a ball owed..

Practice the break, control the break..

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thou shalt have patience throughout the entire rack.

Thou shalt learn to hit the long deep cut shot softly while controlling the cue ball.

Thou shall play GoldCrown 1P once in while at BlueGrass or Markley. Thou shall have GC buy lunch at Pudges once in a while.

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Learn to learn

My advice would be to pull up one pocket matches on YouTube and watch them with the Sound off... Try to predict what shot you think is correct Vs the shot taken... This will speed up the learning curve... Then once you think you have a pretty good understanding of shot selection...compile your list of "Ten Commandments "
And watch the videos again and see if the shots were inline with them... You should start to see a pattern of what is right and wrong with shot selection....

Good luck... One pocket is the best game ever to humble the big stroke player....
Gary

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Thou shalt not let your opponent see the ball closest to your pocket.

It took me a long time to understand why people said this, and when I didn't understand it I way underestimated its importance.

It isn't because you want that ball to stay close to your hole. You do want that, but it's less important than the real reason, and thinking this way is bad for your tactical game.

It's because that's the ball your opponent can hurt you the most by playing off of. It's generally 2 or 3 times easier to put your opponent in a vicious trap by playing off the ball closest to his pocket than it is by playing off any other ball. You let a skilled and experienced opponent see that ball and you won't like your next shot. You follow this commandment and one pocket will involve a lot less suffering.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I DO know this: kicking balls on the end-rail towards your wicket WILL get you beat. They look so easy but 80% of the time you give up a gimme bank.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I DO know this: kicking balls on the end-rail towards your wicket WILL get you beat. They look so easy but 80% of the time you give up a gimme bank.

"Never kick in 1 pocket unless you're mad at your money." ( Or your horse's money... )

Danny DiLiberto