What I learned from Donny Mills vs Shane Van Boening

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attended both halves of TAR-17, the Donny Mills vs Shane Van Boening race to 100. I have put up a post on my blog summarizing what I learned while I enjoyed 16 hours of great pool.

This is not a news type recap of the match, nor is it another discussion of the relative merits of the soft break or pattern racking.

As a student of the game I'm trying to learn from those who know so much more about it than I do. This piece summarizes what I think I learned. I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

http://www.poolstudent.com/2009/11/09/donny-mills-shane-van-boening-match/

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Great blog John.. Some great insight to a very educational pool match.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think you perhaps have got some kind of virus on your computer.

If not, what are all these?

Sorry, I left my computer on the funny pic thread and then left and then came back to make a post -- forgetting I switched threads at the last min

Sorry to bust up the thread--- but hey, at least I bumped it a few times

Glendale

Banned
Oh, just one thing, though. Just my opinion...9-ball isn't a good game. Maybe I'm just bitter because my break is awful, but I like to get the same opportunity as my opponent. 10-ball is much better...still a bit of luck, but much much better :grin:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
John,
I enjoy visting your blog. It is almost always without exception that I find something of special interest to me when I visit.

Your accounting of the match between Mills and Van Boening was exceptional but I also viewed your post on 12 Tips for Staying Down. You mentioned again in your post about their match how critical it is to keep your body and especially your head from moving during the shot and how well those two do it.

I hope to get back to your blog to read some of your other EXCELLENT subjects.

Thanks again for your fine writing skills and astute observations.

JoeyA

ginsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff

John - very insightfull observations and should help all who read your post. Thanks

ps: For those who might be exceptional players, this is the stuff that will get you out of those slumps much faster - back to the basics, works most times.