Aramith Blue Logo Cue Ball

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been participating in an interesting discussion on the 14.1 thread about the best cue ball. It’s reached a point where I think we need far more input than is ever likely to be generated over there, so I’m asking a question over here.

My experience is that the Aramith blue logo cue ball is nearly impervious to chalk, meaning that it stays very clean during play, even if not cleaned for many days of use, or at all. That is in complete contrast to the Aramith red logo ball which ships with the Aramith Super Pro ball set and the Aramith measle ball. All are the same weight and size and appear to have the same finish, but the red logo and the measle ball hold chalk and get very dirty very quickly.

Does anyone have a set of relatively new Aramith Premium balls? Not Premier, the difference is important. This set should have come with an Aramith blue logo cue ball.

I’d like to hear back from people who have the Aramith Premiums as to their experience with that cue ball in this regard. Also, if you wouldn’t mind, use an object ball from that same set as a cue ball and hit it around a little and advise on how it holds or doesn’t hold chalk compared to the blue logo cue ball. The Super Pros hold chalk like the red logo ball they come with.

To complicate this further (where’s the fun in keeping things simple), newer versions of the red logo cue ball, Super Aramith Pro objet balls and Aramith Measle ball may be different from older versions of these same products and behave more like the Aramith blue logo ball, and shed chalk also.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the blue logo ball was from the centennial set by Brunswick and the one I have heard over many years to be the best ball for 14.1.....:shrug:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I thought the blue logo ball was from the centennial set by Brunswick and the one I have heard over many years to be the best ball for 14.1.....:shrug:

No, that's the blue circle cue ball in centennial sets, different animal

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed the same thing about the blue logo ball and would be interested in the results of this test. Here's the logo. It's not a circle or dot.

logo-seul.gif

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased an Aramith blue logo ball for $9.68 plus shipping, or half the price of the Aramith red logo balls and Aramith measle balls. It arrived today and I've hit it around for an hour and it looks almost like I didn't play with it.

At first I was a little concerned since the chalk from the first couple hits was showing on the cue ball, but as I used it, this dust seemed to fall off without leaving any residual scuff marks. On my measle ball and red logo ball, this is not the case, they just get dirtier and dirtier and beg to be cleaned after every session.

I have used Brillianize and Novus Plastic Clean and Shine on my Aramiths Pros, the red logo ball and the measle ball over the years (I've had them 6 years), but this problem with the cue balls was what prompted me to find a good plastic cleaner in the first place, it didn't cause the problem, nor do I think their use has worsened the problem.

I have not used anything on the blue log ball, and if it holds up like Saturated Fat's blue logo ball, I don't expect I'll need to.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the specific gram weight of the blue Aramith ball? It should match the weight of object balls.
Based upon my experience with other brand cue balls & sets, the weight should be 168 -169 grams.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No difference

Okay, I have a relatively new set of Aramith Premium balls (<6 mos. old) with the blue logo cue ball and an Aramith measles ball that is about 1 year old.

I cleaned the table, cleaned both cue balls with Aramith ball cleaner, pulled out a new cube of Masters blue chalk, and shot one rack of 9-ball with each cue ball. I found no discernible difference in the cue marks left on the two balls--there were noticeable marks on both balls.

Under these conditions, I found no difference between the two cue balls.

(I took a photo of results, if I can figure out how to post it here.)

(Forgot to mention that I chalk before each shot.)

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Is it possible the Aramith Blue Logo ball is a Duramith ball? I believe that is the same cue ball that came with my Aramith Tournament set that are Duramith balls, my set is just over 1 year old. I usually use my Red Circle cue balls but I will have to check this out.

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the specific gram weight of the blue Aramith ball? It should match the weight of object balls.
Based upon my experience with other brand cue balls & sets, the weight should be 168 -169 grams.

The Blue logo ball weighed 167 and the red logo ball weighed 168 grams.

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I have a relatively new set of Aramith Premium balls (<6 mos. old) with the blue logo cue ball and an Aramith measles ball that is about 1 year old.

I cleaned the table, cleaned both cue balls with Aramith ball cleaner, pulled out a new cube of Masters blue chalk, and shot one rack of 9-ball with each cue ball. I found no discernible difference in the cue marks left on the two balls--there were noticeable marks on both balls.

Under these conditions, I found no difference between the two cue balls.

(I took a photo of results, if I can figure out how to post it here.)

(Forgot to mention that I chalk before each shot.)

Before you take the time to learn about posting photos, can you shoot more with each ball? As I mentioned in the above post (#7) you can see the chalk after the first few hits, but it seems to fall off on the subsequent hits so that after awhile (I shot 150 balls for my 1st test) the ball still looked great. I too was chalking up normally, before every shot, ordinary Master chalk.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to do this.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New ball?

Before I do that, did you control for new vs. not new cue balls? Your blue logo ball was new, right. Did anyone try a new measles ball? When new, Aramith balls seem to resist marking/loss of sheen much longer than other balls. May have something to do with the finish when new.

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before I do that, did you control for new vs. not new cue balls? Your blue logo ball was new, right. Did anyone try a new measles ball? When new, Aramith balls seem to resist marking/loss of sheen much longer than other balls. May have something to do with the finish when new.

I did not test a new measle ball, as I did not have access to one, though I remember having the problem when I started to use my new measle ball 6 years ago. You would be smart to not put a lot of confidence in my memory, however, so I would agree that such a test is warranted.

I did test a "new" red logo ball, in that when I bought my set of Aramith Super Pro balls six years ago I bought an Aramith measle ball at the same time. When they arrived I put the red logo ball on the shelf and used the measle ball exclusively. I just started to use the red logo ball after playing with Saturated Fats' blue logo ball and agreeing with him about how much cleaner it looked and stayed than the house Aramith measle balls.

My experience with this "new" red logo ball is that it held chalk very badly immediately upon use (say a couple hundred hits). You could clean it off relatively easily with a microfiber cloth and a good plastic cleaner like Brillianize or Novus, but it looked awful before doing so. Also, while my blue logo ball hasn't yet seen much use, that is not true of Saturated Fats' ball. I know it has at least 1,000 hits from many games of 14.1 with him, but I believe he's been using it quite a while.

I would see this "new" red logo ball as the same as new since it has not been used before nor had it ever been cleaned with anything, but it did sit on a shelf for 6 years.

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible the Aramith Blue Logo ball is a Duramith ball? I believe that is the same cue ball that came with my Aramith Tournament set that are Duramith balls, my set is just over 1 year old. I usually use my Red Circle cue balls but I will have to check this out.

It is possible that the Blue Logo is made with Duramith (although the Saluc website would not suggest that, and refers to Vitrotech rather than Duramith), but I can you that my Tournament set came with a BLACK label ball, not a blue label ball.

http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10

Gideon

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may sound stupid but how do different cue balls play better on certain games?

In my experience, 14.1 and 1P usually involve more slow shots than many other games and it is on slow shots that more skids occur. If it is true as generally believed that chalk on the balls is the major culprit, then the cue balls that shed chalk most easily are thought to be the ones producing the least skids.

That's my belief anyway.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Que balls

Different cue balls may well play differently from each other. I can't tell a difference, but some players can. If you are talking about a cheap cue ball versus a quality ball then there will be obvious differences. But I would find it hard to tell any difference in the play of high quality cue balls.

If a player can identify differences so subtle that one type of ball would yield an advantage in certain games over another cue ball, then my hat is off to them! Certainly some games require different types of shots than others. For example, if you are playing bank shot pool there would be no cut shots and probably more English. So if a particular cue ball was somehow more responsive to English than another, this might result in a noticeable difference. But again, I would not be able to identify any such useful differences among high quality cue balls.

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only difference I can think of regarding cue balls is that the measle ball is more slippery than other aramith balls I've played.....when I have to play a power draw it seems to spin in place a lot longer before it grabs but that could also be due to worn cloth....so who knows lol

John Biddle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't suggesting that the blue logo ball was superior because it drew better or behaved differently from other cue balls in some useful way other than that it seems to shed chalk like no other cue ball I've seen. I see this as a good thing, though if the ball had other behaviors that differred from what we expect I wouldn't think it was a good trade off.

The most important thing I'd like to learn is do others agree that this ball is superior in this one characteristic, i.e., does it stay clean better than other high quality cue balls?

Since this ball comes with the Aramith Premium set and the red logo ball and the measle ball come packaged with the much more expensive Super Pro balls, I would have thought the blue logo ball was inferior to the red logo ball. It does not seem to be, it actually seems superior, so I'm seeking information to see whether this is true, and why.