How To Play This Shot?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this shot after the break in a 9B rack yesterday and wasn't sure how to play it. The key is to get the right angle on the 3B to be able to come down for the 4B. This is a much more difficult shot/position play than it looks. I tried to hit it with a little low and semi-firm and come down past the side pocket but I missed the shot.

So, how would you posters play this shot? A touch of left English? Low left and slow? Hard and across, trying to avoid the scratch in the side pocket?

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/8922f.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I tried to hit it with a little low and semi-firm and come down past the side pocket but I missed the shot.

So, how would you posters play this shot? A touch of left English? Low left and slow? Hard and across, trying to avoid the scratch in the side pocket?
The discussions will be easier if you include a screen capture of the shot at an appropriate size, such as:

CropperCapture[145].png

The easiest way is to play it softly with left follow and bounce out to the dot on the "i". There is no point in playing this with draw since on most tables the cue ball will have no draw when it gets to the 2 ball. The problem is that you have to contend with curve and throw.

I think the surest way is to play with just follow and hit long-long to the middle of the table. As long as I'm anywhere near the "S" there is no problem getting to the 4.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a borderline shot for me between rolling it with top spin and shooting it with a kill stroke.

My preference is always the kill stroke whenever possible, so I might choose this option:

Kill stroke with a tip of left if needed. The kill stroke allows you to hit the ball firmly with enough control to keep it from running away. The goal for me would be to bring the cb back between the side pockets past the center of the table to allow for enough angle on the 3 to to be able to shoot the 3 with low or center left (depending on the angle I get) , to bring the cb off the side rail and back up the table for and angle on the 4. After that, you're home free.

Last edited:

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CropperCapture[145].png

I would roll it in the top left corner with high center ball, it would roll around 2 rails for shape on the next ball