CTE Visual Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurritoBandido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you sir for sharing these videos, your description and for your breakdown. I had a massive epiphany with CTE after reading/watching this info. I’m currently 4/4 one handed about 20mins into trying, it still feels a little awkward when sliding into the stance but man can I feel a difference on my stroke right away! I can only imagine after some serious work. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, have a great day!

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you sir for sharing these videos, your description and for your breakdown. I had a massive epiphany with CTE after reading/watching this info. I’m currently 4/4 one handed about 20mins into trying, it still feels a little awkward when sliding into the stance but man can I feel a difference on my stroke right away! I can only imagine after some serious work. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, have a great day!
Your journey is only going to get better. (you may have some stumbling blocks in the road along the way, but that's just the way life is).
Keep your eyes zeroed in on the goal and you're going to be astonished at how your game changes for the better. Determination and work will win the race for you.
Be glad that you don't have 60 years of mis-information about aiming to clean out from your brain like I did. There were many nights when I wanted to throw those DVD discs against the wall and forget about it...but I kept on punching.
I'm proud for you. Keep on punching.
:thumbup:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your journey is only going to get better. (you may have some stumbling blocks in the road along the way, but that's just the way life is).
Keep your eyes zeroed in on the goal and you're going to be astonished at how your game changes for the better. Determination and work will win the race for you.
Be glad that you don't have 60 years of mis-information about aiming to clean out from your brain like I did. There were many nights when I wanted to throw those DVD discs against the wall and forget about it...but I kept on punching.
I'm proud for you. Keep on punching.

Not trying to start a fight here, but you originally said you took to CTE right away and learned it in a week or two. You couldn't figure out why people had so much trouble with it and you took everybody's money after learning it. I'd try to quote you but you deleted many of your early posts and it isn't worth the trouble to sift through all that.

The reason I bring this up is that people new to pool who might want to try CTE should know the facts about the people who are recommending it.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Burrito: Did you give up on pool for the last 18 months? It sounded like you were well on your way back in 2016. What can you tell other CTE students about your journey with CTE?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5753422&postcount=55

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to start a fight here, but you originally said you took to CTE right away and learned it in a week or two. You couldn't figure out why people had so much trouble with it and you took everybody's money after learning it. I'd try to quote you but you deleted many of your early posts and it isn't worth the trouble to sift through all that.

The reason I bring this up is that people new to pool who might want to try CTE should know the facts about the people who are recommending it.

I would say that some people grasp the basic concept right away but for most it takes some time. Either way plenty of work has to be put in to fully grasp CTE in all it's glory. And the end result is A Beautiful Thing.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member

You are 1 post away from a very, very long ban.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that some people grasp the basic concept right away but for most it takes some time. Either way plenty of work has to be put in to fully grasp CTE in all it's glory. And the end result is A Beautiful Thing.

BurritoBandido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Burrito: Did you give up on pool for the last 18 months? It sounded like you were well on your way back in 2016. What can you tell other CTE students about your journey with CTE?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5753422&postcount=55

I had a back injury sideline me in July of 2017, herniated a few discs which led to lower back and leg issues, had to go thru sever months of rehab and getting myself back on my feet. I only just recently started playing again, also I have a family of 6 with two older kiddos in college and one still in grade school so even when I do play it's maybe an hour or two a week, if that.

As for my journey, it's been worthwhile honestly the first few times I did not understand a lot of what the DVD's where trying to show me and I had some serious growing pains. That being said IMHO.....CTE is not magic it takes dedication, practice and hard work to grasp an understanding of the system. I must give props To Stan Shuffet as he has been available to speak to on the phone and thru email/social media to answer any questions. Now thanks to this wonderful forum some things that I struggled with were brought to light thru different explanations I have found. Example, some cut shots I was struggling with....were due to me using the wrong perception....I found a thread where a Gerald Williams from Canada
(I think) showed a pic in regards to perceptions and something just clicked and I started making more cut shots. Shout out to whomever he is....LOL, and my response in this thread was to the Bert Kinister videos that were posted by One Pocket John those videos along with his explanation set off another epiphany which had me rifling balls one handed yesterday . Bert stated inthe video that it would take around 6hours to pocket 10 balls one handed, I went 9/10 twice within an hour of trying with CTE so I am happy for that shared info. Every breakthrough I review the DVD and understand the system that much more. For me the investment financially, physically and mentally have been extremely worth my time. I do not believe in skill levels however for reference I am an SL7 in 8ball and an SL8 in 9ball, now-a-days I would be lucky to play in 5 local tournaments in a year, meaning I would be facing all my local top dogs who play daily while I may only play once a month, and I promise I do not sweat them as much as they sweat me. This system gives me the confidence to find my shot line, align myself accordingly and deliver a high percentage shot at all times and the feedback for adjustments should I miss. I think it is worth all the time I have put into it and I know I am making certain shots with ease that I would not have attempted before. I hope that somewhat answered your question. TBH I would never be able to understand why so many people want to discredit what the DVD does LOL, I mean there is a three rail bank tip in the DVD,that info ALONE is worth the price of admission IMHO. Hope that helps, thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a back injury sideline me in July of 2017, herniated a few discs which led to lower back and leg issues, had to go thru sever months of rehab and getting myself back on my feet. I only just recently started playing again, also I have a family of 6 with two older kiddos in college and one still in grade school so even when I do play it's maybe an hour or two a week, if that.

As for my journey, it's been worthwhile honestly the first few times I did not understand a lot of what the DVD's where trying to show me and I had some serious growing pains. That being said IMHO.....CTE is not magic it takes dedication, practice and hard work to grasp an understanding of the system. I must give props To Stan Shuffet as he has been available to speak to on the phone and thru email/social media to answer any questions. Now thanks to this wonderful forum some things that I struggled with were brought to light thru different explanations I have found. Example, some cut shots I was struggling with....were due to me using the wrong perception....I found a thread where a Gerald Williams from Canada
(I think) showed a pic in regards to perceptions and something just clicked and I started making more cut shots. Shout out to whomever he is....LOL, and my response in this thread was to the Bert Kinister videos that were posted by One Pocket John those videos along with his explanation set off another epiphany which had me rifling balls one handed yesterday . Bert stated inthe video that it would take around 6hours to pocket 10 balls one handed, I went 9/10 twice within an hour of trying with CTE so I am happy for that shared info. Every breakthrough I review the DVD and understand the system that much more. For me the investment financially, physically and mentally have been extremely worth my time. I do not believe in skill levels however for reference I am an SL7 in 8ball and an SL8 in 9ball, now-a-days I would be lucky to play in 5 local tournaments in a year, meaning I would be facing all my local top dogs who play daily while I may only play once a month, and I promise I do not sweat them as much as they sweat me. This system gives me the confidence to find my shot line, align myself accordingly and deliver a high percentage shot at all times and the feedback for adjustments should I miss. I think it is worth all the time I have put into it and I know I am making certain shots with ease that I would not have attempted before. I hope that somewhat answered your question. TBH I would never be able to understand why so many people want to discredit what the DVD does LOL, I mean there is a three rail bank tip in the DVD,that info ALONE is worth the price of admission IMHO. Hope that helps, thanks for asking.
You got a 'tiger by the tail', as old Buck Owens used to say..........and you're taming that tiger. Good for you.
That practice drill of Kinister's with the one hand shooting and the way to get dead on the shot line over and over... really, really, works. (As you have found out.)
Being a natural born skeptic, I wasn't too sure about that business, but I did what he said and put in the hours with it. Now, it's quite simple to get on the shot line with the feet in the right place in just a second or two. His illustrative discussion concerning how our skeletons are all different in some way makes it very clear why the stuff in the books about "stand like this" or "stand like that" don't always work.
Taking that knowledge and melding it with CTE.....and the results are very very nice.
(to the chagrin of my 'customers').
In my opinion, Stan Shuffett and Bert Kinister are the two greatest instructors of our time.
Keep on punching and good wishes to you.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Followup for Mr. Burrito

You will find (as I have) that one of the great important aspects of using CTE is in being able to eliminate guesswork when in a pressure situation.
For example: You're on the money ball, and as it always seems, the other guy has pooched it and left you way down there almost wedged in the corner pocket and you've got a backward cut up at the other end for the cheese.
As you're looking at the shot, you can say..."well it isn't a 45, it isn't a zero, so that only leaves a 15 or a 30. The way I'm looking at this sucker it's a 30 and that's the way I'm firing at it". That's high percentage gambling, in my opinion.
Assuming you have a straight stroke (that has to be a given), you line up on that shot with all the confidence in the world that if you do miss it, it won't be due to any guesswork or old outdated ideas about aiming.
I recall Stevie Moore posting on this stuff once and saying that..."if you got a true stroke and you align yourself properly with CTE you can look up at the ceiling and be sure the cueball is travelling to the right spot to pocket the ball"
I'm not in his league by any means...but it does work that way. Look at that cueball last and fire away......especially on those long miserable 45's off the rail.
Keep on punching, pardner, and quietly take their money.
Do like Efren....."I just got lucky man, you're a lot better than me". That diffuses any violence, most of the time, and practically guarantees the guy will come back for more. Mike Siegel learned the hard way about messing with old Effren in that IPT thing. Mike tried every trick in the book, using the 'rough hustle' and Efrren just sat there smiling and took all his money
My hero, as a kid, in another sport, was Joe Louis. After he'd dispatched another bum into la-la land his favorite lines on the radio interview were..."Hello mom, it was just another one of those lucky nights". Yea, surrrrrrrre it was.:wink:
Go get 'em!
:thumbup2:

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CTEP: CenterToEdgePunctuation. Dude, that's ONE long sentence. ;)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Certainly, at some time during your education, you've had an epiphany when a different instructor has explained the same concept you couldn't grasp when taught by another instructor. Even more likely is the case of a fellow student explaining during a study group how they came to comprehend something and all of a sudden a light bulb goes off for you. That concept of learning and understating by listening to different takes on the same theme is at the core of why I asked for video. Just because I don't believe in CTE doesn't mean I don't want to further my understanding of how it works for others. And if I don't "get it" from the way the teacher explains it, maybe I'll "get it" when it's explained by a student.

Lou Figueroa

Well said, and so very true.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hardest thing about CTE for me is not aligning the visuals (e.g. CTE/ETA, etc.), nor an accurate visual sweep. I miss more shots because I have chosen the WRONG visual and/or sweep when the shot is close to the transition between 15->30 or 30->45. I know what a visual sweep direction does ... thick or thins the shot. Frustrating.

Still .... I won my Monday night match 11-3.

Cpreacher3

Registered
Sac man I have the same trouble as you a lot of times. I started learning cte after the DVD’s were all sold out so what I have learned has just been from Stan’s free YouTube videos. Sometimes I get on here to catch a little tip or something but everyone is always arguing and i get tired of reading it. I knows y’alls mom taught y’all if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything all. It’s so petty.

1st off I’m no expert I’m still learning just like everyone else. Here’s some things that help me .

Once I started understanding cte I put up a curtain so that I couldn’t “cheat” by seeing the pocket. You can hang one at home easy with fishing line and a couple hooks :). This helped a lot with my confidence and knowing that I’m getting he perceptions and Helping me believe that it actually works.

Another thing that helps me when you can’t decide which visual to use like you said. Since the 30 outside is the same as the 15 inside you could eliminate the 15 inside and just use the 30 inside and outside. It’s easier for me to line up the 30 as my starting point and from Past exp. I can look at the shot and see if it needs to be a little thinner or a little thicker.

Another tip on lining up for me is when I get behind the cue ball I like to look back and forth between the center to edge line and the edge to a line. I kind look at them back and forth several times in a few seconds and it kinda triangulates me into the fixed cue ball.

I’ve also noticed that when I’m standing behind the cue ball and have my perception, I can see that the ball is gonna miss thick or thin. I think about the pivot or sweep and then execute it. But once I’m in stroke and playing good and can eyeball the perception from standing and tell it’s has to be thickend or thinned but once I address the cue ball, my body has already adjusted for the slight pivot and I’m dead on the shot. It happens naturally after I’m warmed up. I suspect a lot of players here have the same thing happen but don’t realize this is what it is. Get in stroke 1st and then hang a curtain and many will see that they are already connected to the table whether they know cte or not. cte is just. the words to explain what many are already doing. I hope some of this can help someone. Good luck fellas

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the reply ...

Sac man I have the same trouble as you a lot of times. I started learning cte after the DVD’s were all sold out so what I have learned has just been from Stan’s free YouTube videos. Sometimes I get on here to catch a little tip or something but everyone is always arguing and i get tired of reading it. I knows y’alls mom taught y’all if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything all. It’s so petty.

Right! I became sick of the arguing. Instead of ignoring the trolls they take the bait, ignore the original poster's questions and begin another line of arguing.

1st off I’m no expert I’m still learning just like everyone else. Here’s some things that help me.

Once I started understanding cte I put up a curtain so that I couldn’t “cheat” by seeing the pocket. You can hang one at home easy with fishing line and a couple hooks :). This helped a lot with my confidence and knowing that I’m getting he perceptions and Helping me believe that it actually works.

I'd do this but I only play at a pool hall (and many hours).

Another thing that helps me when you can’t decide which visual to use like you said. Since the 30 outside is the same as the 15 inside you could eliminate the 15 inside and just use the 30 inside and outside. It’s easier for me to line up the 30 as my starting point and from Past exp. I can look at the shot and see if it needs to be a little thinner or a little thicker.

Sometimes I prefer the 15/I and sometimes I prefer the 30/O because, as a left-handed player, I prefer a left visual sweep. It requires simply stepping forward into the correct shot line with my natural cue angle. This natural angle comes from my preferred line of vision coming from a slightly dominate right eye (left-hander with dominate right-eye makes for a challenge).

Another tip on lining up for me is when I get behind the cue ball I like to look back and forth between the center to edge line and the edge to a line. I kind look at them back and forth several times in a few seconds and it kinda triangulates me into the fixed cue ball.

I always look at the aim line first (A/B/C or 1/8) and then tweek it with a CTE visual. I believe I'm not quite on A or B when I miss or I've chosen the wrong sweep direction - as a challenge for me is to accurately see the line having a severe astigmatism.

I’ve also noticed that when I’m standing behind the cue ball and have my perception, I can see that the ball is gonna miss thick or thin. I think about the pivot or sweep and then execute it. But once I’m in stroke and playing good and can eyeball the perception from standing and tell it’s has to be thickend or thinned but once I address the cue ball, my body has already adjusted for the slight pivot and I’m dead on the shot. It happens naturally after I’m warmed up. I suspect a lot of players here have the same thing happen but don’t realize this is what it is. Get in stroke 1st and then hang a curtain and many will see that they are already connected to the table whether they know cte or not. cte is just. the words to explain what many are already doing. I hope some of this can help someone. Good luck fellas

My stroke is pretty much dead-on as many times - if I choose the correct visual and sweep direction - I can pocket a long shot on a 9-foot table. It's the progression of the visuals that I'm having difficulty choosing. I.e. - those almost 15, almost 30 ... or almost 30, almost 45 shots, etc.

But - Stan said that CTE is a professional aiming system and it will take some time to really get good at it (he says he hits 500 shots/day) and repetition is the key. It didn't take long for the basics to click in my mind but not having my own table is a disadvantage that I have to live with. I set up the shots from his DVD and his video. That has been very helpful. Now it is just a matter of gaining the experience (increasing my visual knowledge).

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right! I became sick of the arguing. Instead of ignoring the trolls they take the bait, ignore the original poster's questions and begin another line of arguing.

But - Stan said that CTE is a professional aiming system and it will take some time to really get good at it (he says he hits 500 shots/day) and repetition is the key. It didn't take long for the basics to click in my mind but not having my own table is a disadvantage that I have to live with. I set up the shots from his DVD and his video. That has been very helpful. Now it is just a matter of gaining the experience (increasing my visual knowledge).[/COLOR]
Not having a table at your home makes it tougher for you. You can't do drills when you want to, you have to do 'em when you can. And it costs you money at a poolroom.
Nevertheless, Stan is right about the sweat equity you must invest in this thing.
I put in 4-5 hours a day of darn hard WORK.....no jacking around with easy stupid shots that any goofus can make. I WORK those patterns, over and over and over and over.
When it starts clicking though....all the misery of training pays off. It becomes ingrained.
Fighters train with roadwork before others even have breakfast. Baseball players spend hours laying down bunts so the ball will land on a jacket just inside the foul line. The better hitters will work like crazy at hitting the low and away. Outfielders used to train by playing the caroms off the signs in the outfield back when they had signs. Golfers hit balls until their hands are blistered and bleeding. Show dancers do the same thing until their feet bleed. Training is darn hard work. First class pool shooting requires the same work ethic. (I just happen to be one of those 'nutcases' who LIKES to train. I like to come away from the training table soaked in sweat and covered in chalk)
But when that other guy is trying to win the money and you keep him in the chair....well, that's when all the training pays off.
Keep on punching....you'll reap the rewards.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not having a table at your home makes it tougher for you. You can't do drills when you want to, you have to do 'em when you can. And it costs you money at a poolroom.
Nevertheless, Stan is right about the sweat equity you must invest in this thing.
I put in 4-5 hours a day of darn hard WORK.....no jacking around with easy stupid shots that any goofus can make. I WORK those patterns, over and over and over and over.
When it starts clicking though....all the misery of training pays off. It becomes ingrained.
Fighters train with roadwork before others even have breakfast. Baseball players spend hours laying down bunts so the ball will land on a jacket just inside the foul line. The better hitters will work like crazy at hitting the low and away. Outfielders used to train by playing the caroms off the signs in the outfield back when they had signs. Golfers hit balls until their hands are blistered and bleeding. Show dancers do the same thing until their feet bleed. Training is darn hard work. First class pool shooting requires the same work ethic. (I just happen to be one of those 'nutcases' who LIKES to train. I like to come away from the training table soaked in sweat and covered in chalk)
But when that other guy is trying to win the money and you keep him in the chair....well, that's when all the training pays off.
Keep on punching....you'll reap the rewards.

You agreed with me about my Bruce Lee comment and I thought hell had frozen over. Now you make a post that I agree with 100% along the same lines. Wow! Of course you realize that you are pretty much describing the HAMB method... ;)

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More for Sacman

But - Stan said that CTE is a professional aiming system and it will take some time to really get good at it (he says he hits 500 shots/day) and repetition is the key. It didn't take long for the basics to click in my mind but not having my own table is a disadvantage that I have to live with. I set up the shots from his DVD and his video. That has been very helpful. Now it is just a matter of gaining the experience (increasing my visual knowledge).
[/COLOR]___________________________________________________________________

Sacman.
I had a quick chat with Stan last night about something I had come up with for long miserable rail shots. (I refuse to mention the exact thing here because of the howling and controversy that would surely follow.)
He said...."I've never heard of that, but if it helps you make the shot, then go for it"
I heard Ray Martin tell a guy that once when he was asked about shortening up the grip on the stick when the cueball is frozen on the rail. Ray said...."if it helps you make the shot, then do it".
The point being that I consider Stan to be a killer instructor/coach/player and when he says something like that about shooting 500 shots a day, well pardner I sit up and take notice.
Keep on punching!

Status
Not open for further replies.