Joint Material

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody have or know where I can acquire some joint material similar to what is on my Pool Cue (pictured). Please advise

Cheers,
Tony

DSC03945.jpg

Kingpin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that stuff is mahogany phenolic. Tough to find but Im sure someone is sitting on a stash somewhere. lol

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think that stuff is mahogany phenolic. Tough to find but Im sure someone is sitting on a stash somewhere. lol

Looks like paper phenolic...at least I can’t see any weave in picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That photo is not really clear enough to tell, but i think i perceive a bit of weave on the "end grain".

My guess would be common linen phenolic (not canvas, e.g.)
It comes more or less the color you show, but varies with mfg'r and a little with age. Also, some finishes will darken it a bit, say if it had any oil finish on it.

The stuff comes from a light red/orange, through a deep cordovan color, and again, much of the final color depends on finish.

How big L x diameter do you need?
Does it need to be cored rod, or can you work with a chunck from a rectangular block?

https://www.cuecomponents.com/naphjobu.html

https://www.cuecomponents.com/brownphenolic.html

PS - I have received emails that i did not pay attention to that Cue Components is trying to go out of business.
I have had good experiences and less than satisfactory experiences with them over a 10 yr period; including a phenolic rod that took a while to get shipped (forget what color, probably white).
Point being, this is an example of one possible source. It is not a blanket recommendation, and i do not know what current availability of any specific product, if any, is.

smt

Last edited:

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stuff comes from a light red/orange, through a deep cordovan color, and again, much of the final color depends on finish.

I believe you have helped me locate exactly what I am looking for. I have included a better picture of my joints and a picture of my newly purchased Joint material. Thank you for your time and information~!!!

Cheers,
Tony

DSC03971.jpg

Joint Material.jpg

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some pieces of the brown phenolic pictured that was purchased in early 2016 from cue components and never use it and probably never will. I will be happy to make you a good deal on it and I do ship fast. If interested let me know and I will post pictures and exact dimensions of what I have on hand.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member

I believe you have helped me locate exactly what I am looking for. I have included a better picture of my joints and a picture of my newly purchased Joint material. Thank you for your time and information~!!!

Cheers,
Tony

View attachment 497571

View attachment 497572

Ok... I'll bite.. You posted this morning at 5:02am looking for this stuff... Approximately 14 hours later, you have bought some. WHERE DID YOU GET IT SO QUICKLY? lol

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok... I'll bite.. You posted this morning at 5:02am looking for this stuff... Approximately 14 hours later, you have bought some. WHERE DID YOU GET IT SO QUICKLY? lol

That photo is not really clear enough to tell, but i think i perceive a bit of weave on the "end grain".

It comes more or less the color you show, but varies with mfg'r and a little with age. Also, some finishes will darken it a bit, say if it had any oil finish on it.

Does it need to be cored rod, or can you work with a chunck from a rectangular block?

PS - I have received emails that i did not pay attention to that Cue Components is trying to go out of business.
I have had good experiences and less than satisfactory experiences with them over a 10 yr period; including a phenolic rod that took a while to get shipped (forget what color, probably white).
Point being, this is an example of one possible source. It is not a blanket recommendation, and i do not know what current availability of any specific product, if any, is.

smt

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some pieces of the brown phenolic pictured that was purchased in early 2016 from cue components and never use it and probably never will. I will be happy to make you a good deal on it and I do ship fast. If interested let me know and I will post pictures and exact dimensions of what I have on hand.

I may be interested as I have a couple of projects where I may use it. PM me

Cheers,
Tony

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are pics. 9” of 1.125 and 9” of 1.375 I also have a few inches of pieces cut into rings that will be included. $25 shipped

Attachments

• 2D489ABA-E0D6-4B1E-8489-9A5D6AA586CD.jpg
    2D489ABA-E0D6-4B1E-8489-9A5D6AA586CD.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 505
  • 71600118-9FF5-4D6F-A109-07133AEAAF87.jpg
    71600118-9FF5-4D6F-A109-07133AEAAF87.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 511

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

smt

Some of they old linen types in tan will age to a red tone just sitting there. Takes less time than one might think too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JC

Coos Cues

smt

I have some brown and some black that I bought from cue components and it's not good. Not even a little bit.

JC

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong color?
Wrong weave?
Or was the material defective?

I might have steered you wrong by saying linen not canvas.
Looking at a joint on one of mine, and it is similar, maybe slightly redder to your photo, but does not show the weave much under finish.
But the original photo, the weave just does not look as coarse as canvas.

Can't think off hand where to get canvas in tubes. I have some in blocks; but that will not show the circular weave.

Apologies for your inconvenience.

smt

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a bother at all. I may very well use the material on other projects, but not the intended one. The cue in question deserves to have duplicate material. They discontinued making the material I'm looking for, 30 years ago.