Soft tips hardening quickly

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've run into a problem I can't solve. When I install a super or very soft tip (same for a soft tip), the tip will harden with less than 20 hours of playing time. I mean so hard I have to use a dead blow hammer to remove most of the tip. I then use a sharp cutting tool to remove the rest of the tip. I burnish the tip, but just with a little spit on a slow speed. I use new blades to shape the tip (also on a slow speed). I don't see how I am generating enough heat to melt the glue. Other installers have told me some tips (not going to name names, you know who I mean), typically run one grade harder than listed. This still shouldn't account for a tip hardening THAT much. I know tips can harden over time, but less than 20 hours of play! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
all soft tips will mushroom.... some med tips will..... only a few players will mushroom a hard tip............. some brands of tips will harden ... especially if you break with them.............

Kim

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Kim for getting back with me. I should have noted that these tips are only on play sticks, never a break stick. I thought (probably wrongly) that soft tips had some elasticity and would stay soft(er) longer. If any tip manufacturer reads this, maybe they could give me some insight on how to insure a soft tip stays soft, at least longer than a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone.

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Kim for getting back with me. I should have noted that these tips are only on play sticks, never a break stick. I thought (probably wrongly) that soft tips had some elasticity and would stay soft(er) longer. If any tip manufacturer reads this, maybe they could give me some insight on how to insure a soft tip stays soft, at least longer than a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone.

Maybe not the issue, but how long have you had the tips before installing them? Leather like any organic material can dry out and become very hard over time, I have a customer who specifically requests that I not burnish the tips for him so he can apply a leather conditioner and then burnish them himself, he swears it makes his tips last longer and keeps them playing more true than with out. It maybe snake oil, heck it might even be detrimental, but for some reason it works for him and I rarely change tips on his playing cues.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Soft or Super Soft tip will harden quite quickly, that's why I tend to recomend Medium hard tips, as they are more consistent, some brands mushroom more than others, some harden faster than others. If your one of those who remove the bare minimum when shaping the tip, you will see more mushrooming. If you remove too much of the tip, it will harden very fast.
How about a picture or two of your installation?

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Kim, your comments confirm what I have long suspected. In fact, I just installed a medium UltraSkin this morning as the customer was tired of soft tips turning into hard tips so quickly. I'll take your advise and recommend med tips from now on. As for storing tips, I got a tip several years ago that really helps. I smoke cigars, so a friend recommended that I get a small humidor to keep the tips humidified just like my Cohibas. A $20 humidor is a great way to protect several hundred dollars of premium tips.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I normally put on a med tip if nothing special is requested........... I do soft tips for ladies especially if they are new to the game..... but some have listened to their friends that claim to know everything and still want soft tips........... fact is that you can get more spin on the cue ball with a harder tip.... but it requires a stroke.... I try to talk experienced pool players into a med or hard tip........ .. I also have a customer that could mushroom a tip made out of granite...... he is a real hammer mechanic
...... LOL

Kim

just as an added note............ I tell my customers to never use a tip pick........ or a tip tapper.... or one of those nasty little cubes to scuff it...these horrible tools just harden the tip or delaminate it......... just clean it with some 220 sand paper, once in a while, and you are good to go

Last edited: