Tip Steer

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Until the boss man of this site gives me the order to stop, I will post the words "no instructors please" anytime and anywhere I choose to post it.
You don't run this place, ace, and you don't give the orders either. You TAKE orders, salute, and say "yessir boss", just like I do.......from the boss man.
Deal with it.
(The ignore feature is your friend)

As a poster who reports regularly, do you think it is in your own best interest to be so combative?

Until such a time as YOU are given some stature here, why do you feel you can decide who may say what, when and where?

I would like an answer.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a poster who reports regularly, do you think it is in your own best interest to be so combative?
Until such a time as YOU are given some stature here, why do you feel you can decide who may say what, when and where?
I would like an answer.
I have absolutely no stature or authority to decide on anything here.
That is why I always defer to you and Mister Mike as the boss men of the facility.
Whatever orders you give me, I will obey and do my best to carry out to the fullest.
I snapped at that guy because he told me what to do and he is not in authority to do so.
If in this message to me, you are advising me to not be so combative, then by golly, I certainly will not be so combative.
Consider the order understood by me. I will carry it out.
Regards,
P.Lowenstein

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Until the boss man of this site gives me the order to stop, I will post the words "no instructors please" anytime and anywhere I choose to post it.
You don't run this place, ace, and you don't give the orders either. You TAKE orders, salute, and say "yessir boss", just like I do.......from the boss man.
Deal with it.
(The ignore feature is your friend)

It's a free country, but I think you may be misunderstanding. Since this is an instructor's sub-forum, along with contributions from non-instructors, when you say, "no instructors, please" it makes all the instructors WANT to post. I'm trying to explain to you how to talk to fellow humans.

It's not about how much better I am at pool than you or who "gives orders". You might as well go to a police-operated forum and say you're seeking advice from anyone but cops. It's not even logical.

Now, I'm REALLY stuck, thanks to you, because I have GREAT advice on how to use the device for you, but you won't take my advice, because I'm an instructor.

Reactions: KRJ

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Dan White...Sounds to me like your approach is pretty good. Yes, I agree that slow motion-frame by frame video is the ultimate way to diagnose and correct problems with one's stroke.
Coach's Eye is an excellent software program, as is Stroke Analyzer.
IMO these two things are better at analyzing stroke, than some other things out there.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott, I could not find "stroke analyzer" in the app store.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Ideally, we should have multiple cameras filming from front,back and side, and put the video feeds in real time on a big screen.

As the inventor of the DigiCue, I absolutely agree that you will benefit tremendously from filming yourself. If you watch yourself make a flaw in video, you can visually remember what you look like the next time the DigiCue starts buzzing at you. Your fixes tend to stick a lot better.

Even if you never buy a DigiCue, I still recommend filming yourself.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ideally, we should have multiple cameras filming from front,back and side, and put the video feeds in real time on a big screen.

I thought of doing something like that with 2 cell phones. I have 2 Android phones and I activate the camera by voice so the two cameras could be started at the exact same time from different angles. Then it would be a matter of editing the two videos together. Ultimately, though, I don't think this is really necessary. Yes, it would be nice to have, but one camera gets you what you need. When you stroke the cue repeatedly you pretty much do the exact same thing each time so you can move the camera around as you repeat the shot and still see the flaws (hopefully).

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I think the key is the real time feedback (video from multiple angles in your view field while you are doing the whole thing: setup, psr, shooting, get up) and hopefully fix any visible error at the same time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the key is the real time feedback (video from multiple angles in your view field while you are doing the whole thing: setup, psr, shooting, get up) and hopefully fix any visible error at the same time.
I think sound is better for feedback during the shot.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Sorry, what I mean is not looking at the screen during "real" executions, rather slowed down trial ones to check the alignments of all your body parts.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
I thought of doing something like that with 2 cell phones.

I tried the cell phones once, it is very hard to mount them precisely vertical/horizontal using commonly available devices. Unlike practice your stance and stroking moves towards a mirror, an uncalibrated cell phone video feed might introduce more visual distortion than you imaging.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the cell phones once, it is very hard to mount them precisely vertical/horizontal using commonly available devices. Unlike practice your stance and stroking moves towards a mirror, an uncalibrated cell phone video feed might introduce more visual distortion than you imaging.

If you are a little bit clever you can make it work. I put an old bunson burner stand on the table and rest the phone just above ball height on that. If you turn the grid lines on your phone to "on" you can align the cb to the ob precisely. As long as the grid line is perpendicular to the table you will get a good, square image of your stroke right at the camera.

Practicing in slow motion without a cue ball and without aiming at an object ball has little in common with what your stroke is actually doing during a real shot. This might be good for beginners but then again all you'd need for them is a soda bottle to stroke into. If your stroke is advanced enough to require a more high tech approach then you better be aiming at an ob while you work on the stroke or else, IMO, you're kidding yourself. Things happen when you hit a cb that you cannot emulate by just stroking into thin air.

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
If I can get hold of a bunson burner stand, I would be very happy. What I have is something like http://a.co/d/eSXLO76 . A serious tripod + a phone holding clamp would be even nicer.

You are absolutely right about stroking into empty air in front of a mirror offer very little help. I was talking about placing a mirror near the pool table. I think realtime
visual feedback is the next best thing after an instructor on your side.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I was talking about placing a mirror near the pool table. I think realtime visual feedback is the next best thing after an instructor on your side.
I think a camera and a monitor placed where you can see it would be better than a mirror for real time feedback. That would allow you to see from the back and sides and other angles that the mirror cannot show if placed directly ahead in your normal line of vision.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan White...This isn't necessarily correct information. MUCH can be learned and gained from just swinging the cue, with no OB...especially if you have a physical beginning and end to your stroke! You train your stroke (using your template and mantra)...verbally, mentally and physically. Slow motion is how we learn to swing the cue with a relaxed cradle! The soda bottle drill encourages elbow drop if you finish your stroke into the neck of the bottle...poor drill imo. Your last sentence is also incorrect. When the brain understands that the swing is a static motion, with the same beginning and end, the brain trains the tricep to slow backswing, and biceps to accelerate through the CB at any speed (we teach 10). The brain can also train the cradle hand to not tighten up on the cue...even on the break! The cuestick is plenty capable of creating a lot of kinetic energy...without force!

Scott Lee

Practicing in slow motion without a cue ball and without aiming at an object ball has little in common with what your stroke is actually doing during a real shot. This might be good for beginners but then again all you'd need for them is a soda bottle to stroke into. If your stroke is advanced enough to require a more high tech approach then you better be aiming at an ob while you work on the stroke or else, IMO, you're kidding yourself. Things happen when you hit a cb that you cannot emulate by just stroking into thin air.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan White...This isn't necessarily correct information. MUCH can be learned and gained from just swinging the cue, with no OB...especially if you have a physical beginning and end to your stroke! You train your stroke (using your template and mantra)...verbally, mentally and physically. Slow motion is how we learn to swing the cue with a relaxed cradle! The soda bottle drill encourages elbow drop if you finish your stroke into the neck of the bottle...poor drill imo. Your last sentence is also incorrect. When the brain understands that the swing is a static motion, with the same beginning and end, the brain trains the tricep to slow backswing, and biceps to accelerate through the CB at any speed (we teach 10). The brain can also train the cradle hand to not tighten up on the cue...even on the break! The cuestick is plenty capable of creating a lot of kinetic energy...without force!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowedge.com

I actually stroke with a fixed elbow for the most part, so I think you would "approve of" my stroke in general. Let me refine what I am saying. If you stroke into air while you are looking at the tip of the cue or at a spot on the cloth where your tip will approach, this is not the same as stroking the cue while looking at an object ball with the intention of pocketing it. You can find stroke errors by practicing into air but that does not mean you won't find others when you are actually hitting the ball. You can stroke into air 100 times perfectly but when you put a cue ball into the shot, I bet most people would find that their follow through is not straight. This can happen for several reasons, including a slightly off-center hit, gripping of the cue at the point of contact, stroking with the cue in a slight arc, etc. These imperfections are not always visible until you have feedback like contacting a cue ball to show the cue going off line and illuminating a problem.

I think the act of shooting at an object ball changes things as well, and may cause swoops or other problems not experienced by stroking into air when your attention is not being occupied by the need to pocket the ball.

I'm not an instructor, but I know what I've seen over the last decade of recording my stroke and looking at details like this in slow motion. IMO, stroking into the air might be enough for beginners but it won't show the full extent of stroke problems. Let's put it this way... Hitting the cue ball and also aiming at an object ball is another way of bringing out hidden stroke problems.

Also, for Scott Lee, there is a typo in your signature. Your link is missing the "l" in knowledge, FYI.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A personal attack is not answering the question. Don't say "no instructors, please," on an instructors' forum.

Note he didn't say "no instructors, please,". He said for no one to just dismiss him by saying "see an instructor". He appears to be looking for advice from instructors vs. a generic referral to go see one.

It is like explaining your symptoms on a medical forum and having everyone tell you to go see a doctor. :)

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Note he didn't say "no instructors, please,". He said for no one to just dismiss him by saying "see an instructor". He appears to be looking for advice from instructors vs. a generic referral to go see one.

It is like explaining your symptoms on a medical forum and having everyone tell you to go see a doctor. :)

Ever go to a legal forum for help? I had a simple question about how to process certain paperwork properly and all I got was "Well this isn't a DIY" and "go see a professional" yadda yadda. They kept trying to turn my question into something it wasn't. Frustrating. Why bother having a forum?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan White...We'll just have to agree to disagree for the time being. Here is an excerpt from one of our articles about "effective learners", called When do Students Impress Us?:

"The students that impress us have no problem working on body positions WITHOUT hitting cue balls! It is very unusual to find a student working on one fundamental for more than just a few minutes...the "EFFECTIVE LEARNERS" tend to focus on the weak fundamentals and give themselves plenty of time to get better...many times WITHOUT hitting cue balls."

Dan, this is just one of 9 different ways we look at students to determine whether or not they are 'effective learners'. Another quote from Randyg:

"Realize...we have taught literally thousands of eager students. After the years of teaching, there is no question, we see common characteristics in those who show rapid improvement - we call 'effective learners'!"

I'd love an opportunity to sit down and discuss this with you at greater length sometime! Didn't you say you are around the Baltimore area?

Scott Lee

PS...Thanks for the heads-up on the missing "L"! :thumbup:

I actually stroke with a fixed elbow for the most part, so I think you would "approve of" my stroke in general. Let me refine what I am saying. If you stroke into air while you are looking at the tip of the cue or at a spot on the cloth where your tip will approach, this is not the same as stroking the cue while looking at an object ball with the intention of pocketing it. You can find stroke errors by practicing into air but that does not mean you won't find others when you are actually hitting the ball. You can stroke into air 100 times perfectly but when you put a cue ball into the shot, I bet most people would find that their follow through is not straight. This can happen for several reasons, including a slightly off-center hit, gripping of the cue at the point of contact, stroking with the cue in a slight arc, etc. These imperfections are not always visible until you have feedback like contacting a cue ball to show the cue going off line and illuminating a problem.

I think the act of shooting at an object ball changes things as well, and may cause swoops or other problems not experienced by stroking into air when your attention is not being occupied by the need to pocket the ball.

I'm not an instructor, but I know what I've seen over the last decade of recording my stroke and looking at details like this in slow motion. IMO, stroking into the air might be enough for beginners but it won't show the full extent of stroke problems. Let's put it this way... Hitting the cue ball and also aiming at an object ball is another way of bringing out hidden stroke problems.

Also, for Scott Lee, there is a typo in your signature. Your link is missing the "l" in knowledge, FYI.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The students that impress us have no problem working on body positions WITHOUT hitting cue balls! It is very unusual to find a student working on one fundamental for more than just a few minutes...the "EFFECTIVE LEARNERS" tend to focus on the weak fundamentals and give themselves plenty of time to get better...many times WITHOUT hitting cue balls."

I'm sure those kinds of drills are effective, just not the whole picture. For instance, if there is no cue ball and no object ball, how do you know the student has his cue aligned to the shot line properly? I've learned that vision is a funny thing and while you may think the cue is lined up it may well be way off. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say you also need to look at some stroke drills where the balls are on the table.

I'd love an opportunity to sit down and discuss this with you at greater length sometime! Didn't you say you are around the Baltimore area?

Well, if by "Baltimore area" you mean New Jersey, then yes! :smile: