Wood only.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
20.2/3/4 oz. The forearm or the handle has the tenon..
You're looking at 16+ oz butt . Even with a 1.5oz joint screw, tough to do without any weight add-on unless the woods are really heavy.
And that would include a non-maple handle.

Why are you worried about the added weight ?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
An ebony butt is 20oz by itself, I have some exceptional long pieces if you need one

JC

Coos Cues
There are plenty of nice woods heavy enough to accomplish what you desire coupled with a solid heavy shaft.

Here is one I"m finishing up with ebony and stabilized spalted tamarind that is full cored with maple. It weighs in at 19.6 without the finish on yet. Front weighted with a balance point at 19.5 inches. It could easily have been made heavier with a heavier core wood. I used maple to hold the weight down. The only metal is the stainless pin.

_DSC3604 copy [800x600].jpg

JC

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are plenty of nice woods heavy enough to accomplish what you desire coupled with a solid heavy shaft.

Here is one I"m finishing up with ebony and stabilized spalted tamarind that is full cored with maple. It weighs in at 19.6 without the finish on yet. Front weighted with a balance point at 19.5 inches. It could easily have been made heavier with a heavier core wood. I used maple to hold the weight down. The only metal is the stainless pin.

View attachment 500757

JC

That's beautiful. Good work sir.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure you can make a cue with only wood (some sort of metal or G10 joint pin I guess?)
a 20oz butt kinda limits your wood choices somewhat, but Ebony is far from the only dense wood you can use. Katalox, purpleheart, desert ironwood, quite a few of the Dalbergia species, snakewood and massaranduba to name a few.
The dimensions plays a big part, obviously a 30" butt will be heavier than a 29" butt given the same dimensions.
If you want to use a lighter wood, I guess you could core with a heavy wood like ebony or katalox.
If I took on a project like that I would have to weigh the actual pieces and try to find the ones that would work best with your weight, dimension and balance point.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not that difficult to build a cue with a weight you mentioned using only woods and a pin. As it was mentioned above there are plenty of woods much heavier and denser than ebony. I've built my full spliced butt using two hard woods ABW and Pau Rosa and in length 31" I've got the weight approximately 18 oz so I had to drill out some wood to get it under 17 oz. Besides of ABW which is so far the heaviest wood I have (1340 kg/m3 +/-) there are three more species above 1200 kg/m3 in my collection: Pau Santo one of the stiffest woods and it is very rare, Leadwood, Mopane.
The trick is to know which wood to have for a particular part of the cue in order to get the desired balance and hit. That is the real artistry.

Last edited: