Pre-1975, Pre-Production, Very Fancy McDermott Cue

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mentioned in the thread about the D Series McDermotts that I was acquainted with someone that has a very impressive early McDermott. The owner has allowed me to post pictures since it was requested.

Some of you have likely seen this cue listed on Ebay for some time. I have become acquainted with the owner via that listing and find the cue fascinating.

The owner was there, in McDermott's garage, when the cue was being made. His father had the cue made as well as another cue that was sold some years ago. I have had several long conversations with the owner of the cue and have no reason to doubt the veracity of the provenance claims. I have told him that a letter from McDermott would probably help attract serious buyers.

I am not here trying to sell this cue. It is not mine and this is the gallery. I think it's an interesting cue worthy of showing off. Personally, I would love to own it.

There are several fascinating points about this cue. For expediency I will list them.

1) Pre-1975 McDermott
2) Very "high level" fancy cue
3) Original and excellent condition

Those are the "generic" points. Here are some more interesting points:

4) It appears to be a WICO blank
5) It is a piloted steel joint and looks to be a 5/16x14 thread...brass pin
6) The shafts have stainless rings
7) It is a window cue with McDermott's name as well as the original owner's name in the window
8) Multiple diamond and dot inlays
9) Multiple pearlescent rings

To me, the cue is stunning. The owner has had it listed at various prices on Ebay for a long time, so doubtless some of you have seen it. I have never seen another Pre-75 McDermott of this level. I think it is a really fine example of this genre of cues, reminiscent of such things as some of the fanciest early Viking window cues, as well as a fine example of an early McDermott. The owner is not a "cue person" but definitely understands the historic and artistic significance of the cue. The monetary value is, of course, a more difficult matter, which I am not attempting to address here.

So, without further delay, here are some pictures:

$(KGrHqR,!g4E3u-(GPBPBN984Dk)Ow~~_12.JPG

$T2eC16V,!y0E9s2S65KZBR(v4bDF!w~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJEsFEP+okNh3BRMLUGhm5w~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16JHJIYE9qUcN,o7BRYuQpjWmg~~60_12.JPG

$T2eC16d,!yEE9s5jGLD6BR(v4M3e5!~~60_12.JPG

I would love to hear what you folks think of this. Is that indeed a WICO blank? Have you ever seen a McDermott like this? Whatever your thoughts might be.....

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is a great cue, I started a thread about it when he first offered it for sale for$25,000.00 as I recall. I have seen times where there were three different Ebay auctions running simultaneously With three different prices. After all this time, does he not understand that he may have it priced a bit high. I don't know for sure, but it seems like it's been listed for two or more years. Again,, It is a great cue, But what is it's actual market value?

Just a side note however, I watched a cue being offered in the three thousand dollar range on Ebay for at least a year, that was finally sold outside of Ebay, and is now being offered by it's current owner for probably five to ten times what it just sold for. And frankly, I think this McDermott is a more interesting cue.

I should also mention that I sent an Ebay link to this cue to McDermott cues and they acknowledged it as 100% authentic. I would personally love to have it.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a great cue, I started a thread about it when he first offered it for sale for$25,000.00 as I recall. I have seen times where there were three different Ebay auctions running simultaneously With three different prices. After all this time, does he not understand that he may have it priced a bit high. I don't know for sure, but it seems like it's been listed for two or more years. Again,, It is a great cue, But what is it's actual market value?

Just a side note however, I watched a cue being offered in the three thousand dollar range on Ebay for at least a year, that was finally sold outside of Ebay, and is now being offered by it's current owner for probably five to ten times what it just sold for. And frankly, I think this McDermott is a more interesting cue.

The cue has been listed at a variety of prices. yes...something like three years running now. I have followed it all along.

The value is of course below that 25K mark. But what is the value? I don't know.

To answer your question, yes, I think he knows he was pricing it high. To be fair, he is actually a person of experience when it comes to such matters but not specifically with cues.

In fact it is hard to find people that are licensed appraisers that really know anything about cues. Licensed appraisers can give you an insurance value...but is that of any use in pricing such a cue for sale? It certainly is a unique cue.

The pricing of this cue is a difficult matter, and obviously he has been in no hurry to sell it or we wouldn't have seen the up-an-down pricing and sky-high pricing on the cue.

You are in fact one of the people I had hoped would comment. I think your knowledge on the 70's era cues is pretty strong. I proposed to the owner that this may be a WICO blank. He had never heard that, didn't know what it meant. What do you think? Could that be a WICO? Sure looks like it to me.

It makes me think of the Viking cues you have posted recently. It fits that genre and is very much a representation of the period I think.

The value is a bit of a touchy matter I think. I am more interested in the other aspects of the cue at this point. It certainly is interesting. It certainly is unique. The owner refers to it as "museum quality" which I said I thought was a bit hokey, but when you boil it down I guess he's right actually.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I should also mention that I sent an Ebay link to this cue to McDermott cues and they acknowledged it as 100% authentic. I would personally love to have it.

I feel the same way. And I am glad you agree it is authentic and checked it out. I think some would be suspicious but I have no reason to believe it is not exactly what he says it is.

I would love the cue. Right now it is out of my reach to even make an offer. I know he has had offers, but none that hit the mark yet.

With such a unique offering, and not in a hurry to sell, I can understand just holding out and keeping it out there.

Such a cue requires the right buyer. If I had the disposable income, it would be mine I think.

It would be a crowning jewel for a McDermott collection for sure, and a prominent cue in any collection in fact.

Last edited:

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes that is a WICO blank. That among other things had me wondering if in fact Jim McDermott had actually made this cue. It is so far off of the mark from his known or "typical" style that I decided to check it out. I personally think the McDermott Cue Company should have this cue on display at the factory. But wouldn't it look nice next to my other fancy window cues in a smooth black Fellini case!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes that is a WICO blank. That among other things had me wondering if in fact Jim McDermott had actually made this cue. It is so far off of the mark from his known or "typical" style that I decided to check it out. I personally think the McDermott Cue Company should have this cue on display at the factory. But wouldn't it look nice next to my other fancy window cues in a smooth black Fellini case!

It would definitely look nice next to your other window cues.

Somehow I think it would look nicer next to my cues though....call me biased. :D

I am glad you feel it is WICO, I am pretty good with my info and IDs but you are better. It certainly adds something special to this cue. I never saw a WICO McDermott before...but it fits the era...

EDIT: Yes, it definitely deserves a smooth black Fellini. The case in the pictures is original to the cue and was purchased from Mr McDermott with the cue. Obviously a re-lined box case of the generic variety I think. The case is mildly interesting because it is original to the cue and probably re-lined by McDermott himself....but that cue deserves to rest in a Fellini.

Last edited:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Having been involved with the McDermott family before there was a Mcd line of cues, only Jim or his son Jess could actually verify the cues authenticity. I also have been following this cue for months now and am beginning to think it was a Viking that maybe they did some work on....that being said, I will try to contact the family and see what they have to say.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to know what Jim McDermott has to say about the cue.

That it could have originally been a Viking is an interesting notion. I did recognize it as what I thought to be a WICO splice, and the WICO splices were used by Gordon Hart of Viking fame and were used in many Viking cues of the era.

WICO blank? Viking blank? Viking conversion? Modified/customized Viking? There are several notions that come to mind. I don't think any of them really detract from the cue though. In the end, identifying it as a WICO vinyl veneer blank says that McDermott most likely did not build the splice in any case. It truly ends up the same really. After all, Balabushka himself never built a splice and used various blanks and nobody detracts from his work based on that fact.

I don't think any McDermott splices are identified until well after this cue so I don't think anybody is saying that McDermott built the splice.

But regardless, if any details can be uncovered by Jim McDermott or indeed Jess it would certainly be extremely interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting joint with the stainless rings on the collars. That's something I've also seen on some early National/Ricco/CP cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting joint with the stainless rings on the collars. That's something I've also seen on some early National/Ricco/CP cues.

There were indeed a few in that time period that used it.

I think Viking still offers it as an option in fact.

I have one old cue that has it and is still unidentified. I once thought it was an early Viking, then a Cervantes cue...now I just don't know.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like a WICO blank to me, it is a cool cur for sure, i think $25K is WAAAAY to heavy. For 25 you could probably buy a complete A,B,C,D series or close to it. I think 3-5K is the number, then again thats just a guess, I cant see more that $5K for that cue, unless the buyer owned a A,B,C,D series and the rest of the McD's ever built-to that person, if there is that person then it might fetch more than $5,000. Very narrow market.

Having said all that, great cue and thanks for the pic's history etc:thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having said all that, great cue and thanks for the pic's history etc:thumbup:

Thanks for your comments. :thumbup:

Your take on the value etc is bang on with what I have said to the owner.

The cue indeed is looking for the right buyer, a narrow market as you say. If the buyer really needed to sell I am confident the cue would have moved a long time ago for a couple grand...but he apparently does not need to be in a hurry and can wait for the right buyer.

We often are in the habit of picking on Ebay ads around here. I was in that mode when I saw the pricing on this cue but after long conversations with the owner I understand what he is doing. He's just looking for the right buyer and isn't going to entertain lowball offers. The high pricing may attract criticism, but it might also keep the riff-raff away....maybe....I dunno.

The first kind of person as a potential buyer that comes to mind would be a McDermott collector. But the cue fits well in other sort of collections as well. It certainly is a treasure IMHO.

Anyway, I am not really intending to discuss the sale/value so much as the relative merits of the cue as a work of art, as a historic piece, and specifically as a very unique McDermott with some very interesting features.

I really do appreciate your comments. I have frequently read your posts with great interests. :)

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
That McD cue would go very nicely in a collection next to this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 317

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your comments. :thumbup:

Your take on the value etc is bang on with what I have said to the owner.

The cue indeed is looking for the right buyer, a narrow market as you say. If the buyer really needed to sell I am confident the cue would have moved a long time ago for a couple grand...but he apparently does not need to be in a hurry and can wait for the right buyer.

We often are in the habit of picking on Ebay ads around here. I was in that mode when I saw the pricing on this cue but after long conversations with the owner I understand what he is doing. He's just looking for the right buyer and isn't going to entertain lowball offers. The high pricing may attract criticism, but it might also keep the riff-raff away....maybe....I dunno.

The first kind of person as a potential buyer that comes to mind would be a McDermott collector. But the cue fits well in other sort of collections as well. It certainly is a treasure IMHO.

Anyway, I am not really intending to discuss the sale/value so much as the relative merits of the cue as a work of art, as a historic piece, and specifically as a very unique McDermott with some very interesting features.

I really do appreciate your comments. I have frequently read your posts with great interests. :)

thanks for the kind words, i do my best to draw on my experience and stay positive, while keeping it real as well.

i have a small collection of McD cues mostly D series, someday i might go on a mission and build a complete collection of them, I have a very close friend who has a few old D series as well, they were the "Cue" when we started playing(for production cues), so i have a soft soft in my heart for them.

Having said that, I asked myself "What is this cue worth to me today?" If I was buying cues i'd say $3,000 on the high, based on what old palmers bring and cues from that era(production). So I figure if I'm $3K buyer there has to be someone with 100 MINT McD's or 150 of them and that guy would want that cue real real bad, with a LOA from Jim $25K would be a stretch but isn't completely off the air. $50,000 would be off the air.

thats the $$$ end of the story, more interesting is the hstory of the cue, and what Jim has to say.

take care
eric:)

Last edited:

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Goog looking Mc doc, I love that old school McDermott's. That's one I would hold on to for sure.. Wrong post sorry...

Last edited: