Shooting across the ball

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hi All,

So, I've played really amateur blackball pool for a while, but I've recently found a place that I could play some Snooker. (I'm a big fan). However, my big issue is regarding simply hitting the ball straight. Sometimes everything just flies in, but more often then not, I have a pretty easy shot to play, and attempt to play for position, I play the shot wildly to the side and miss the pot by an absolute mile! (And look pretty stupid).

Is there anything to be done, other than simply playing more? I've also noticed, that I almost always over exaggerate the cutting angle.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
shooting across the ball

Here's my perspective....I think of it as more of a ''swiping'' motion. Much like the action of a wiper blade coming across the windshield, it adds a pushing/swiping/rotation upon contact, which is quite different than the rotation put on an obj. ball by draw or follow. What Really effects this shots ''contact point'' is dirt and humidity. That's why you often see a pro miss a shot they never miss. If your not aware and ''in the moment'' during play, you won't notice changes that do occur, especially with new cloth as it goes thru days of play.

Life should be more simple than this eh :thumbup:

Hope this perspective helps.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

So, I've played really amateur blackball pool for a while, but I've recently found a place that I could play some Snooker. (I'm a big fan). However, my big issue is regarding simply hitting the ball straight. Sometimes everything just flies in, but more often then not, I have a pretty easy shot to play, and attempt to play for position, I play the shot wildly to the side and miss the pot by an absolute mile! (And look pretty stupid).

Is there anything to be done, other than simply playing more? I've also noticed, that I almost always over exaggerate the cutting angle.

It sounds like you can't play position at all, and that when you try to do so, your idea of how to get the cue ball to where you want it to be conflicts with and destroys your idea of how to get the object ball into the pocket.

It that more or less how you see it?

As for how to fix it, I would recommend a drill in which you play an easy shot with easy position. Gradually make the shot and position more difficult but not past the point where you can do both at least 50% of the time.

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hmm. I'd say that was almost spot on. I'd say I have a pretty good appreciation of what I need to do to play position, but anything more than "Don't hit it too hard", or hit it slightly harder to get the ball up the table makes me screw the pot to one side or the other.

I often see an easy pot, and put some effort on getting on the next colour, but my pot more often then not is spilled away, even if I do get position, making the shot pointless.

I'll give that a go though! I'd suggest I may have some issues with eye dominance too, as my eyes are starting to fail me in real life.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lee Vilenski...I'd suggest that you have a serious problem with moving the cuestick in a straight line through the CB. Have a video analysis done of your stroke process, from a qualified instructor. Until you correct that, your "swiping" motion will continue to play havoc with your consistency.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I'd suggest I may have some issues with eye dominance too, as my eyes are starting to fail me in real life.