Different Materials for a 3/8ths x 10 Joint Pin?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will I be able to find other material for replacement of a 3/8x10 steel pin?

Old standard. Stainless, brass and aluminum. I don't recommend aluminum. Bends to easy.
Newer flat bottom available in G10, aluminum, brass, titanium, brass and stainless. I think I also saw copper on one of the sites.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's the ticket. Isn't the G10 carbon fiber?
wait a minute, that isn't a 10 thread, it's an 11 , is that right?

G10 is glass/epoxy, not carbon fiber. G10 pins are available in 3/8-11, 3/8-10, 3/8-10 Modified, Radial and even American Ball thread.

Last edited:

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G10 is glass/epoxy, not carbon fiber. G10 pins are available in 3/8-11, 3/8-10, 3/8-10 Modified, Radial and even American Ball thread.

I thought that radial and American ball thread were the same thread. One was just made by a particular company and the other is the generic name for it. (Like Advil vs Ibuprofen). Is that not correct?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought that radial and American ball thread were the same thread. One was just made by a particular company and the other is the generic name for it. (Like Advil vs Ibuprofen). Is that not correct?

That's what I was told. To protect name rights. The one's made by Tom were just called Ball screw.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The "Radial" name is trademarked and has a specific pitch. The type of thread is called a "ball screw" thread. That is where similarities begin and end. There are many "knock offs". Some are made to fit and might, some are not compatible.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same, same, but different is my experience. I've used American Ball pins that fits perfect with a stock Radial thread, but I have also ran into pins that had a slightly bigger minor, about .315" instead of the Radial spec .312"
Usually it's not a problem, but it sucks to run into stuff like that if I' m making a shaft or rethreading a shaft for a customer and don't have the actual cue the shaft is for in my hand. This has happened a few times and it's been a Jacoby every time.