105 Ball Run by Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched your complete run. Very nice.

It inspired me to uncover the 9 footer and give it a try. And I never play 14-1.

Took me a hour of trying, just to get through the first rack!! And then I finally run 29. Left the break out ball ,,perfect,, for the 30th ball and missed the dang thing,,broke em up very nice though. DOH!!!

I learned in the first hour,,not to look too hard for the next breakout ball(for next rack) This was causing me problems ,,trying to find it early in a rack.

I'll give it try again soon. I got tired. lol

Great! 14.1 is a super game to practice as well as play.

Hang in there with your play. You 're off to a running start.

Stan Shuffett

mr8ball

Great job Stan, What is the height of that table? It looks kinda low to me. We have Kim Steel tables here and they are around 29 inches at the slate. It kills my back to play on them. Great shooting again

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great job Stan, What is the height of that table? It looks kinda low to me. We have Kim Steel tables here and they are around 29 inches at the slate. It kills my back to play on them. Great shooting again

No, it's actually the prescribed height, I think.
It's right at 31 inches at the rail or slightly more at its highest point.

Thanks,

Stan Shuffett

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Great job, Stan. I'm envious. It's almost embarrassing to say that my lifetime high run is only 62. If I could find the time, I'd like to start practicing 14.1 again.

Again, great job; not only at the playing, but also at the teaching. You, and Landon, and Stevie are all credits to the pool community.

Roger

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, Ray, thanks, Are your lessons in a private location?

Also, I will always attribute my first run of 100 in part to your video run of 93 or so at a seminar somewhere in FLA.

Anyway, I have already been tossing around the idea of visiting with you.

Thank you and I am honored that You'd view my run and offer feedback.

Contact info please,

Stan Shuffett

I am living in Raleigh N.C.and i do all my teaching at the Brass Tap.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan,

Someone once observed that while there are enormous differences in the way that instructors teach any given subject, just as there are wide differences in the knowledge and abilities of instructors, one common characteristic of all good teachers is simple to summarize: They are almost always people who instinctively notice things that others might never notice.

In that vein, I thought a very interesting question that I’m almost certain you’ve given analytic thought to (and when discussed would likely be helpful to plenty of players) is this:

You’ve had a few 100-and-change Straight Pool runs (a feat relatively few players accomplish; Landon phenomenally achieved a 100-ball while only a 14 year-old, and now still very young, has run higher than 150 several times.

What essential differences or natural advantages have you observed or wondered about that might account for, say a 3 or 4 rack difference (only at the moment I should add), between what Landon and yourself presently might achieve at peak performance during long runs?

Are any -- or all -- of the following possibly attributable factors at work? -- Youthful stamina, inherited or natural superior hand/eye coordination, better vision, remarkable intuitive pattern recognition, more precise position play honed via frequent tournament play, and/or the common youthfully-already-great players’ lack of fear and total confidence dealing with any layout or any mis-positioning, (followed by rapid improvisational correcting)?

Any or all of these comparative factors that you may have observed via analysis?

Thanks for any comments if you find this to be a contributory thing to discuss.

Arnaldo

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan,

Someone once observed that while there are enormous differences in the way that instructors teach any given subject, just as there are wide differences in the knowledge and abilities of instructors, one common characteristic of all good teachers is simple to summarize: They are almost always people who instinctively notice things that others might never notice.

In that vein, I thought a very interesting question that I’m almost certain you’ve given analytic thought to (and when discussed would likely be helpful to plenty of players) is this:

You’ve had a few 100-and-change Straight Pool runs (a feat relatively few players accomplish; Landon phenomenally achieved a 100-ball while only a 14 year-old, and now still very young, has run higher than 150 several times.

What essential differences or natural advantages have you observed or wondered about that might account for, say a 3 or 4 rack difference (only at the moment I should add), between what Landon and yourself presently might achieve at peak performance during long runs?

Are any -- or all -- of the following possibly attributable factors at work? -- Youthful stamina, inherited or natural superior hand/eye coordination, better vision, remarkable intuitive pattern recognition, more precise position play honed via frequent tournament play, and/or the common youthfully-already-great players’ lack of fear and total confidence dealing with any layout or any mis-positioning, (followed by rapid improvisational correcting)?

Any or all of these comparative factors that you may have observed via analysis?

Thanks for any comments if you find this to be a contributory thing to discuss.

Arnaldo

This is fairly straight forward for me as I do not have to think much about how to answer your question.

Landon has 2 significant advantages over me:
Composure
Delivery System

Landon is able to play under stress or pressure in a superior manner compared to me and I do well in that area. Perhaps he was born with that and combine that with growing up on a table. That's a good combo.

Landon seems to always stroke his shots. If I could have any one thing about Landon's game it'd be his grip. The game is in the grip once the eyes have completed their education, IMO.

I know more but he just keeps coming with shots and that has been a major strength of his and he does it well under pressure.

Stan Shuffett

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A remarkably objective, well observed summation, Stan. It thoroughly exemplifies the sage axiom: "He who teaches, learns."

Landon unmistakably knew years ago what a prodigious talent he possessed (as did, for example -- the teenaged Mosconi) and that realization & the daily reinforcement of it, in my view has to lead to a relaxed, confident grip and the repeatedly accurate stroking you refer to, even when under intense pressure.

What a job you've done in solidly grounding his fundamentals.

And like any emerging champion in any field, there's always the powerful effect of hours of keen observation of his own game during long solo practice sessions over years of effort. That's where the kind of steady self-teaching takes place -- intuitions and leaps forward that might not have occurred otherwise. It's the same with great musicians, painters, and most other uniquely talented people.

Thanks for the rewarding discussion and your contributions to a lot of players' progress over the years.

Arnaldo