8 Ball Rule for Hitting Wrong Ball

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
What happens if you shoot the wrong ball, but your opponent doesn't tell you?

I've heard a few different rules, and I am not sure which to follow. I'm talking for ACS and BCAPL tourneys, not APA.

I've heard several things, including:

*if the opponent doesn't call the foul, they could call it right before the 8 ball,
*if foul not called, the player becomes that group.

etc...

If I could get the correct rule, this would really help.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only rule I have seen on this, if the foul is not called after the first shot, the player continues to shoot the other group as his.

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are serious about your pool game, you need to learn all the trick shots, as well as the skill and the artistic shots. You'll never go wrong by learning the rules of the game and then studying those who have greater skill than your own.

mike.wasyliw

The rule has been changed for ACS. If you shoot the wrong group, and the opponent does not call a foul prior to you shooting your next shot, the game will be replayed with the original breaker breaking.

The foul must be called prior to the next shot.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
The rule has been changed for ACS. If you shoot the wrong group, and the opponent does not call a foul prior to you shooting your next shot, the game will be replayed with the original breaker breaking.

The foul must be called prior to the next shot.

Mike.. Let's say that you pocket a ball of the wrong group.
Your opponent does not call a foul prior to your next shot.
What if you run out to the 8 before the opponent speaks?

Are you saying the game will 'restart' from the beginning?

Last edited:

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct rule is...

As long as the error is discovered before the game is over, the game is re-racked with the original player breaking.

For BCAPL/CSI play, CSI rule 2-6-3 applies:

"Once they are established, groups can never change for the remainder of that game. If a player shoots the wrong group and no foul is called before the next shot and the player continues to shoot at that group, or if at any time during the game it is discovered by either player or a referee that the players are shooting the wrong groups, the game will be replayed with the player who broke the game breaking again. If a game has ended and then the players realize they shot the wrong groups, the game is not replayed and the result stands."

For ACS play, if WSR are follwed, Regulation 10 applies:

"If the groups have been determined and the player mistakenly shoots at and pockets a ball of the opponent’s group, the foul must be called before he takes his next shot. Upon recognition by either player or the referee that the groups have been reversed, the rack will be halted and will be replayed with the original player executing the break shot."

WSR is not as specific about the end of the game being a critical timing point.

Buddy