Jumped Ball Rule.

SuHua

I was playing 8 ball with a few friends the other day. My object ball was deep in the pockets and I had straight shot at it. I hit with some force (maybe too much) and the object ball hit the back of the pocket and flew off the table.

They said that this was a ball in hand, however I disagreed. I mean it technically still contacted a rail and was a legal hit.

Can anyone tell me the specific rule on this?

Thanks!

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing 8 ball with a few friends the other day. My object ball was deep in the pockets and I had straight shot at it. I hit with some force (maybe too much) and the object ball hit the back of the pocket and flew off the table.

They said that this was a ball in hand, however I disagreed. I mean it technically still contacted a rail and was a legal hit.

Can anyone tell me the specific rule on this?

Thanks!

Any ball that comes to rest off the playing surface without dropping into a pocket is a foul. Also if any ball contacts the top of the rails, not the cushions, is an automatic foul whether the ball comes back on the table or not. So if the cue ball stops on top of the rail, without falling off it is a foul. Any ball off the table is a foul.

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any ball that comes to rest off the playing surface without dropping into a pocket is a foul. Also if any ball contacts the top of the rails, not the cushions, is an automatic foul whether the ball comes back on the table or not. So if the cue ball stops on top of the rail, without falling off it is a foul. Any ball off the table is a foul.

Under both WSR and CSI rules, close, but not quite right.

A ball that leaves the bed of the table, contacts the top of the rail, and then returns to the bed of the table without contacting anything that is not a part of the table, (e.g., a brick of chalk, the player's clothing or body, the light, etc.) is not a foul.

WSR 8.5 applies:

"A ball is considered driven off the table if it comes to rest other than on the playing surface but is not pocketed. A ball is also considered driven off the table if it would have been driven off the table except for striking an object such as a light fixture, piece of chalk or a player which causes it to return to the table.
A ball that contacts the top of the rail is not considered to have been driven off the table if it returns to the playing surface or enters a pocket."

CSI Definition of "Jumped Ball: applies:

"A ball is not a jumped ball if it leaves the bed of the table and returns there without contacting anything that is not part of the table."

Buddy