8 ball end game - advice?

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this layout last week in league. I was stripes. What is your first instinct to run out from here?

I will post what I did later (This happened hill-hill and I lost my match), but wanted to get other opinions. I've set up this layout a few times on the practice table since then and I still don't see a great easy way out....

The problem is the 10 ball - it's in the jaws pretty much as displayed in the diagram. I had one shot at it before this turn and already missed it once coming off the rail, and fouled.

Attachments

• endgame.png
    endgame.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 841

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Either cut the 13 in the side and go 3 rails for pretty natural shape on the 10, or shoot the 10 in and draw straight back about 3 feet. I would say it is a case of which of those shots you feel personally feel most comfortable with. They are about equal to me and I would probably have to be at the table to know for sure what I would do here. I think I might lean towards cutting the 13 in the side.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut it into side, three rails for 8 in corner (cueball near bottom side pocket)

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Slow roll the 13 so it comes just come off the rail. The CB will stop behind the 8.
Your 10 ball blocks the corner pocket. The13 will prevent a bank off the end rail.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 ball, draw back 2 feet.

13 in upper right corner (stop shot)

8 in upper left corner (stop shot)

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Slow roll the 13 so it comes just come off the rail. The CB will stop behind the 8.
Your 10 ball blocks the corner pocket. The13 will prevent a bank off the end rail.

I like this except the way he has it in the diagram it is way too easy to sink the 8 in right behind the 10 in that same pocket. If the ten is laying a little better then the way he diagrammed it then the shot you suggested is a good one.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
DEPENDS:

how well do you and your opponent play?

bar table or big table?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can control your draw shot I make the 10 and draw straight back ideally to get to the C in "Chalky". As long as you clear the 8 and don't roll past about 3" short of where the CB is now it's an easy shot on the 13 and easy leave on the 8. Based on how deep the 10 is in the pocket this shot might not be available.

If you can't control your draw, but can draw, I'd hit the 10 on the right side and draw back (below the 8 ball) all the way to the other end of the table and play the 13 in the side. you have a huge target area and so long as you bring the CB between the 8 and the bottom side pocket you are good to go.

If you wanted to do a baby draw shot then you could hit the 8 ball a little more on the right side and just pull the CB between the 8 and the top rail and shoot the 13 in the lower right corner.

I would not take the 13 first because position from the 10 to 13 is much easier than from the 10 to the 8 with the 10 that deep in the pocket. Also, with the 10 that deep in the pocket it's really dangerous to use any kind of topspin or hit rail first as you can either miss the ball completely or have the CB get held up in the jaws.

The key in this situation is to make sure you avoid the danger. The real danger is smacking into the 8ball and ending up without any shot on the 13. So you have to pick a side of the 8 ball to go past and commit to it. Just trying to draw back will often lead to disaster in this scenario.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can control your draw shot I make the 10 and draw straight back ideally to get to the C in "Chalky". As long as you clear the 8 and don't roll past about 3" short of where the CB is now it's an easy shot on the 13 and easy leave on the 8. Based on how deep the 10 is in the pocket this shot might not be available.

I see it different...with the 10 ball so deep in the pocket, drawing straight back (to where you said) seems like the best play.........no chance of missing the 10 ball (as he did last time) and no chance of scratch if your draw is half way decent.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see it different...with the 10 ball so deep in the pocket, drawing straight back (to where you said) seems like the best play.........no chance of missing the 10 ball (as he did last time) and no chance of scratch if your draw is half way decent.

I think we're in agreement here. If you can hit the middle of the 10 without catching the corner of the pocket yes. If you'll catch a hair of that rail then maybe not so much.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would shoot the 10 ball by hitting the right tit of the pocket first and going in to the 10 ball. The natural carom of the 10 ball to the short rail, then lower long rail for shape to shoot the 13 in the upper right corner. Use a little left English.

Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Had this layout last week in league. I was stripes. What is your first instinct to run out from here?

I will post what I did later (This happened hill-hill and I lost my match), but wanted to get other opinions. I've set up this layout a few times on the practice table since then and I still don't see a great easy way out....

The problem is the 10 ball - it's in the jaws pretty much as displayed in the diagram. I had one shot at it before this turn and already missed it once coming off the rail, and fouled.

I would shoot the 10 with draw since it is so very deep in the jaws. Draw back for the other two balls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
13 in side, 10. Even if you mess up a bit on the shape on the 8 ball off the 10, you would have had to hit it pretty bad to have bellow a high % shot on the 8, either in the upper corner, opposite corner of if you hit harder to draw behind it, in the same pocket as the 10. I would not shoot the 10 first, you then have to play good shape to make the 13 and then get a shot on the 8, where the shot on the 10 is in no matter what and you have greater chance of an easier shot on the 8 after.

The only issue is possibly hitting the 8 ball going around the table after making the 13 in the side, the angle looks like it's going close to it.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a hanger runnout, cmon. Cut the ball in. Remember this, it's one of the most important things in pool (and believe me had the players I know don't follow this)... you actually have to make good shots to win at pool. You can't just bunt safeties all day and win, you actually have to knock balls in the hole with confidence on occasion, so get down and do it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A ball in the jaws is a very difficult position shot....
...that's why 14.1 players get rid of the as soon as they can..with lots of balls left.

So in this layout, I'm playing the 13, whitey three rails to the middle of the table.
...now when you shoot the ten full, you got six pockets for the eight-ball.

If it's a deep shelf table, position off the ten is even more brutal.