joshua filler

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

not writing here because i m a fellow country man- sure not. I am a pool lover.
Filler reached the No1 in the world because of what he did. And in his age it s just an amazing fact (imo). Also scary what he can and will still learn in the future.

What is a bit amusing in my opinion, how "strictly and rigid" some people pointing with their fingers at Joshua Filler. that he would have a bad character, bad manners- just to name two variations.

I didn t play on a world class level (except dreamin or for 30 minutes in practice, lol)-- but ve played for sure some "little bit bigger" finals-- and i never had a plan, what i would do first after makin the last winning ball. So after makin a winnig shot- under that pressure in front of such a big crowd..... - if then someone NEEDS to let out his emotions.. for me very understandable. AND entertaining as well. Period.

Furthermore there are introvert humans and extrovert humans. In my opinion some people should think just about a situation, where this unbelievable pressure is falling from your shoulder.....and reach something you wanted REAL bad! -

and then he/she can explain me in detail, how well thought, methodically his reaction will be ( and always the same, without any exception...?) after sth like that?

I am not the Ethic World Police! I prefer the human who shows me his emotions- how this person shows me seriously how he s feeling. And maybe not jsut this 21 years old young man will learn in the future (what he will for sure!)- maybe some of the old farts here should also start again with learning a bit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What is a bit amusing in my opinion, how "strictly and rigid" some people pointing with their fingers at Joshua Filler. that he would have a bad character, bad manners- just to name two variations.

It is your right to be amused but with Filler's greatness comes great scrutiny.

Calling a pro pool player proud, cocky, or imperfect in the social graces is not saying he is of bad character, and that hasn't been the general sentiment in this thread. We've had an orderly discourse about his mannerisms and style, and some approve and others don't. I am among those who approve, but I respect the views of others. Nobody has bashed Filler's character or questioned his credentials as a player.

It is because Filler has reached a mind-blowing level of excellence and put together such an amazing competitive resume by the age of 21 that he is under the microscope. None of us have ever seen such success in a player so young and we are all forced to consider the possibility that he'll be the face of pool (at very least, he'll be one of them) for quite a while.

If he's to be the face (or one of the faces) of our sport, Filler will likely be held to a higher standard than the less prominent pool pros. He will remain under the microscope and there will always be a few that will find something wrong with him, especially as our sport has always struggled with its public image. Most of the greats in every sport must deal with this level of scrutiny. Fair or unfair, it comes with success.

The plain truth is, however, that most of us are absolutely captivated by this young phenom who appears to be the standard bearer for pool excellence in the next generation of our sport.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm seeing the World 9-Ball championship scheduled for Dec 10-17 this year on the WPA calendar (https://wpapool.com/calendar/action~month/exact_date~1575151200/request_format~json/). Am I missing something? Is there talk of it being cancelled?

Hmm. And if you click on the calendar item, the additional information says "Created 7 days ago by Administrator." So maybe the event is back on; I've seen no news release about it.

Edit -- as of a few weeks ago, it wasn't on the calendar, and garczar did some sleuthing:

Just got email from WPA. NO date has been set for World 9ball. This is direct from Gre Leenders, General Sec. of WPA.

So ................ it's a go, now?

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is your right to be amused but with Filler's greatness comes great scrutiny.

Calling a pro pool player proud, cocky, or imperfect in the social graces is not saying he is of bad character, and that hasn't been the general sentiment in this thread. We've had an orderly discourse about his mannerisms and style, and some approve and others don't. I am among those who approve, but I respect the views of others. Nobody has bashed Filler's character or questioned his credentials as a player.

It is because Filler has reached a mind-blowing level of excellence and put together such an amazing competitive resume by the age of 21 that he is under the microscope. None of us have ever seen such success in a player so young and we are all forced to consider the possibility that he'll be the face of pool (at very least, he'll be one of them) for quite a while.

If he's to be the face (or one of the faces) of our sport, Filler will likely be held to a higher standard than the less prominent pool pros. He will remain under the microscope and there will always be a few that will find something wrong with him, especially as our sport has always struggled with its public image. Most of the greats in every sport must deal with this level of scrutiny. Fair or unfair, it comes with success.

The plain truth is, however, that most of us are absolutely captivated by this young phenom who appears to be the standard bearer for pool excellence in the next generation of our sport.

This was really well stated.
If we just take a minute and stand back to ponder just what Joshua Filler level of success by age 21 means....
Think of any sport/game...any one...then think of that sport’s greatest player....none of them were playing at that great level against the best in the world at the age of 21 like Filler is currently doing in pool.

One of my favorite players to follow, Niels Feijen, has stated his elusive goal is a US Open trophy....Filler has one.
The greatest current USA player, Shane— his struggles with trying to climb the wool world championship has been well talked about here on AZ....Filler did that too.

Make the winning 9-ball to take down a Mosconi Cup? Filler has done it as well.

Battle through long gambling matches against the best in the world at the Derby? Filler did it.

Set the high-run 14.1 record at the Derby? Filler has been there and done it.

He is a special player for sure, and to think he will only get better with age and experience will lead to even more scrutiny, accolades, and trophies.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we just take a minute and stand back to ponder just what Joshua Filler level of success by age 21 means....
Think of any sport/game...any one...then think of that sport’s greatest player....none of them were playing at that great level against the best in the world at the age of 21 like Filler is currently doing in pool.

Ummm. Tiger Woods anyone? Wins 3 PGA tournaments, then wins the Masters by 12 strokes and is #1 in the world by age 21.

And a whole bunch of women tennis players. Like Steffi Graf, who won three Grand Slams in each of 1988 and 1989, when she was 19 and 20 years old.

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ummm. Tiger Woods anyone? Wins 3 PGA tournaments, then wins the Masters by 12 strokes and is #1 in the world by age 21.

And a whole bunch of women tennis players. Like Steffi Graf, who won three Grand Slams in each of 1988 and 1989, when she was 19 and 20 years old.

Never heard of the Tiger Woods guy you are referring to :), but Wu won the World 9 ball and 8 ball Championship when he was 16.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Yes, it happens in other sports. Tiger Woods was a superstar almost upon arrival in pro golf. LeBron James was an NBA superstar at 18.

As you've noted, tennis players gain proficiency earlier than pool players and win majors in their teens. An even more extreme example is the women gymnasts, some of whom become the best in the world by the age of 14.

… but it just doesn't happen in men's pro pool. Wu had isolated, but not sustained success as a teen player. It did happen once, though, on the women's side. Many moons ago, Loree Jon Jones won a world 14.1 title at 15 years old and she went on to one of the great careers in the history of women's pool.

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, it happens in other sports. Tiger Woods was a superstar almost upon arrival in pro golf. LeBron James was an NBA superstar at 18.

As you've noted, tennis players gain proficiency earlier than pool players and win majors in their teens. An even more extreme example is the women gymnasts, some of whom become the best in the world by the age of 14.

… but it just doesn't happen in men's pro pool. It did happen once, though, on the women's side. Many moons ago, Loree Jon Jones won a world 14.1 title at 15 years old.

There have also been some pretty good swimmers by the age of 21 or younger....Michael Phelps for example.

I also think Usain Bolt was the fastest person in the world when he was 21.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There have also been some pretty good swimmers by the age of 21 or younger....Michael Phelps for example.

I was the fastest on my block at age 15!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

And gymnasts, skaters, boxers and a slew of other olympic gold medalists.

Freddie <~~~ gold medalist

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ummm. Tiger Woods anyone? Wins 3 PGA tournaments, then wins the Masters by 12 strokes and is #1 in the world by age 21. ...

And Tiger's first 2 PGA wins were at age 20.

[But quite a few players, most of them many years ago, won at a younger age (up to 21 months younger) than Tiger.]

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Simone Biles has been the best female gymnast in the world since at least the age of 16.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler started to play billiards at the age of seven, competing at a national level by 2007 (age 10). In 2017, Filler made his debut at the Mosconi Cup, representing Europe. He became the youngest player to do so in history, at 20 years of age, beating Ronnie O'Sullivan's record (21 years of age).The following year, he would win the China Open 9-ball tournament, and the ten-ball European Pool Championships.

Later, in 2018, Filler would win his first world championship. Filler would defeat the defending champion Carlo Biado in the final of the 2018 WPA World Nine-ball Championship to win the event. Filler had also won a bronze medal at the European Pool Championships earlier that season.

2017 China Open 9-Ball Championships
European Pool Championship - Ten-ball Winner (2018)
WPA World Nine-ball Championship - Winner (2018)
Euro Tour
2019 Leende Open
2019 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championships - Winner

Filler became WPA and Euro Tour world number 1 in 2019, and later reached the final of the 2019 WPA World Ten-ball Championship before losing 10-7 to Ko Ping-chung

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Filler

By 2017, Filler already had 10 years experience playing professional men in pool. This is unprecedented. I'll stand corrected on tiger woods, I thought Filler had him by a year when reaching #1 ranking but both reached#1 at age 21....Filler (born in Oct 97) #1 may 2019...Tiger (born Dec 1975) reached #1 in June 1997. Serena beat them both by reaching her #1 ranking at age 20 in june 2002. Unlike Filler, serena and tiger had to wait to turn pro because of age restrictions in their respective sports.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
By 2017, Filler already had 10 years experience playing professional men in pool. This is unprecedented.

Compared to Jean Balukas, Josh Filler was a late bloomer.

I believe Jean was already playing at the age of four. She had already appeared in public and on TV playing pool by the age of six. By the age of nine, she had a fifth place finish in the World 14.1 Championships. By the age of fifteen, Jean was dominating women's pro pool.

On the men's side, Mosconi played Greenleaf at the age of six, losing narrowly, after which Greenleaf proclaimed him a future world champion.

Last edited: