Texas Express

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a bystander to a game of 9 ball last night using Texas Express rules.

When the person broke, he failed to hit the one ball. The 9 ball went into the side pocket. The person breaking said he didn't hit the one ball and it was a foul. Then there was some conversation on what to do. It was decided that there should be a rerack and the person who broke gets to break again.

I questioned the call in my own mind, but said nothing. I figured I'd get the answer on the correct rule by asking in this forum. Thanks in advance.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I think this is one of those weird league rule gray areas where you have to hit the 1 first and 4 balls have to hit a rail for the game to have started. I don't remember exactly how it's worded but I know there is something like that with the leagues. Maybe it is a bylaw thing.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what 'Texas Express' is.....
But I would think the sensible solution would be 'CueBall in hand' (because the lowest numbered ball was not contacted first) and 9 ball respotted.

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I googled Texas Express rules.

The one does have to be hit first and 4 balls need to hit a rail.

If not a legal break then the incoming player racks and breaks again.

So, it looks like they did everything right.

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cue ball crosses the head string on any attempted stroke of the cue on the opening break and breaker does not hit the one ball first or cause four balls to contact
a rail (made balls count as a rail contacted), then the other player racks and breaks.

This new break is now considered the start of the game and the first breaker is
NOT on a foul.