An idiosyncratic chronology

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It truly would have been amazing if De Oro had won a championship at snooker, 9 ball or one pocket, since the first snooker tournament was played when he was 64 and he had been dead for at least 13 years when the first 9 ball and one pocket tournaments were played.
There's no doubt Worst was an awesome player, and if he had lived longer , might have been even more outstanding.
Th fact remains that DeOro accomplished more than any other player in history at billiards.
Not only at carom billiards, but also pocket billiards and he even beat John Roberts at English billiards albeit Roberts was past his prime. {Nobody else could beat him though}.
For a stretch of 20 years almost no one beat De Oro , the only reason other peoples names are listed as champions was because they stripped him of his pocket billiard title every time he won the 3 cushion championship and the same when he won the pocket billiards championship, they took away his 3 cushion title.
The only person who was anywhere close to him was Walter Lindrum, who I am sure, could have been a snooker champion, or 3 cushion, or any other game he wanted to play, with pool balls and a stick, but he didn't, so number 1 is Alfredo De Oro by leaps and bounds in my opinion.
Thanks for posting all the great material Bob.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Thanks for posting all the great material Bob.
Although it has been pointed out to me that not all of the listing is perfectly accurate.

It's too bad we don't have something similar that is thoroughly footnoted and authenticated.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That’s quite the road trip.
This is the second time read upon the history where four-ball has its place,
although in a different format than where I’m at but still cool, very cool.
I was glancing through the back story on this Burch fellow that put all of this together,
could be a work in progress, your link I didn’t see on their site map. Being what it is,
could look for updates over time with his poet work concluding that page.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although it has been pointed out to me that not all of the listing is perfectly accurate.

It's too bad we don't have something similar that is thoroughly footnoted and authenticated.

Agreed.

I'm trying Bob!