Schon cue tips

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried posting this in sub-forums but figured more people would read this here-

I am searching for someone that either has, or knows where I can find original Schon tips that come with their new cues/shafts.

I went to local cue shop, asked for original Schon tip, and what I got was far from it - it mushroomed immediately, did not play the same as the original, and as most are aware, the original Schon tips are extremely hard.

I was then told by a forum member that they were 'WB' tips. So I bought some of those and had one installed; again it is not the same, I feel a 'thud' when hitting the ball, not a crisp sound/feel of the original tip.

I have tried contacting Schon directly about this and have not received a response either. I have also contacted a few dealers and they say Schon is not very forthcoming about what tips they use (?!)

I don't know why this is such a mystery, but I have become accustomed to playing with this tip and don't want to switch.

If I do have to switch, would something like a Kamui Black Hard be a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I've heard that it is a "proprietary" tip, but they remind me of a double pressed Lepro

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried posting this in sub-forums but figured more people would read this here-

I am searching for someone that either has, or knows where I can find original Schon tips that come with their new cues/shafts.

I went to local cue shop, asked for original Schon tip, and what I got was far from it - it mushroomed immediately, did not play the same as the original, and as most are aware, the original Schon tips are extremely hard.

I was then told by a forum member that they were 'WB' tips. So I bought some of those and had one installed; again it is not the same, I feel a 'thud' when hitting the ball, not a crisp sound/feel of the original tip.

I have tried contacting Schon directly about this and have not received a response either. I have also contacted a few dealers and they say Schon is not very forthcoming about what tips they use (?!)

I don't know why this is such a mystery, but I have become accustomed to playing with this tip and don't want to switch.

If I do have to switch, would something like a Kamui Black Hard be a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
http://www.schoncues.com/#!services3/c1kja

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that and tried a WB tip. It is not the same as the original (I even have an extra original shaft here to compare it to).

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try milk duds. They have been the closest I've found. Pooldawg8 makes some great ones.

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you get your tip replaced by Schon?

No. Maybe I'm missing something but why would that matter? Are you suggesting I would have to ship my shaft to them and have them replace it, that they do something special to it?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You might like Tiger Onyx
They are a crisp hitting medium-hard tip.
Kind of expensive but I really like them.
Also I would try a Kamikaze brown medium and hard, and start with the medium.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Maybe I'm missing something but why would that matter? Are you suggesting I would have to ship my shaft to them and have them replace it, that they do something special to it?

I didn't suggest it, I asked if you had.

It seems that if you can't match it, and they aren't forthcoming , then yes...they do something "special". Likely a proprietary tip.

Just a suspicion.

Seems like several people suggest tips to try that they feel are "close". You might have to try 2 or 3 or more to find what you want. All of a sudden in the face of that sending the shaft to Schon for a tip does not seem completely unreasonable.

Just a thought.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SEYBERTS SELLS THE AUTHENTIC SCHON CUE TIPS-
SPECIAL MADE FOR SCHON-
WATER BUFFALO TIPS:wink:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not me but I've had them done at a discount price. $20. I play at Romine's. I put them on my Viking cue with a Z2 shaft. No complaints here. Would I bother to ship, no. Just have a water buffalo tip installed if you like a hard tip. They last a long time. P.M. me if you want the scoop. Lots of hard tips out there.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SEYBERTS SELLS THE AUTHENTIC SCHON CUE TIPS-
SPECIAL MADE FOR SCHON-
WATER BUFFALO TIPS:wink:

Seberts hasn't had them listed for a while. But Mr. Clarke told me face to face that they used a WB w/a pad. Brian.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST-
HE WAS ASKING ABOUT SCHON CUE TIPS :confused:

I believe the smiley face was meant that he was being sarcastic/facetious/funny. Bad thing about printed text, you can not read tone. Brian.

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that a while back.

I contacted Seyberts about them as I no longer saw them listed on their web site. This was their response:

"Hello, we do not have any in stock at this time... Schon has limited production on there tips. thanks"

Sounds like it might be worth it for me just to ship my shaft to Schon and have them do it. I could spend a fortune in tip installs otherwise.

Are there different brands of Water buffalo tips? I used "WB" brand at someone's suggestion, but it is definitely not the same tip as Schon's.