Install disaster yesterday...I want to give up

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Gold Crown IV was installed yesterday and it can't be played on it until I repair the poor work done on it. I thought I was going to have my brother over tonight and play some pool. I don't have the desire to fix this right now. I've spent a lot of money to have a great playing pool table. Here's the story...

I think I do everything right. I buy a very nice GC IV that has never seen commercial use. I've got to take it apart and get it out of this guys basement. I dismantle the table and find all but 2 of the the slate frame bolts have been cross threaded. I buy all new hardware and retap the captured nuts in the frame. I reinforce the frame to prevent corner sag. I send the rails to Mark Gregory for new Superspeeds and pro cut pockets. I get the correct ball box, ball return track, and gully boots to convert it from drop pockets. I purchase a Centennial ball set and Delta 13 rack. I think I'm ready to go. I'm not using the guy that installed the table originally. I'm hesitant about him after I see what he did to the frame bolts. I've got an install guy based on a strong recommendation from a room owner. I should have talked to the original guy and voiced my concerns.

Now to the install. I'll preface that i can be a perfectionist and typically I do nice work. I talked to the guy and specifically told him what I had. The guy and his helper shows up. I tell him there's a well stocked hardware store less than a half mile away in case he needs anything. I have already built and placed the base. The slate frame is already built. The rails are ready to go and covered by Mark. I have everything neatly placed and orderly. This guy can clearly see this isn't some $999 homeowner special from the local game store. One guy works on the slate and cloth. The other assembles the rails, corner castings and blinds. I notice the rails clearly marked F for foot seem to be opposite of where they should be. They say iy doesn't matter. They at least have the rails assemble as numbered by Mark. When the cloth is going on I question in my head if it's going on correctly and think the guy's a little sloppy with his cuts at the pocket openings. The cloth is on and now they're installing the ball return track. The guy refuses to go to the hardware store and uses any miscellaneous hardware he has. I think in my head wtf and wouldn't it be better to get the rails and boots set first? Now they place the rails and install the gully boots. They clearly don't look right due to the rail extensions.The guy is fine with it and looks easily corrected with some trimming with a razor knife. I mean I already had a large portion of the table assembled for them. I decide I should do this because I'm afraid of what the boots will look like after they do it. they attach the boots and leave them as is. Now it's time to put the ball box in. More whatever hardware they can find and relocation of the hidden brackets. Claims all of them are don this way. They're really hard to assemble where they are at. Now it's time to try out the table. Ball return doesn't work.The balls are getting caught under the side pocket gully boots. I'm done with these guys at this point. I tell them I'll fix it, pay them and they leave. I'm ****ing aggravated but I have to go to the eye doctor and then out with my wife. I don't have time to really look at the table.

I return home for the evening and first thing I notice is a smudge of what looks like grease or maybe chocolate. The table hasn't even had a rack played on it and it's stained. There's no way you would have not known you did that. Then the pocket openings aren't centered on the side pockets(I might be overly critical, maybe not). Then they leave a mess. I cant really use the table until I fix the return and get the box installed a little better. I'm about to give up on my pool table dream. Seems nearly impossible to find someone who takes pride in what they do.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's some pictures.
DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1007 (2).jpg

DSCN1009.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1017.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
those are not even the right gully return boots for that table. they look to be from a 3 or earlier. I would be pissed that they did not tell you that either.

You will get it right! If you need any advice I am always around to chat during regular business hours. Good luck

Trent

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
those are not even the right gully return boots for that table. they look to be from a 3 or earlier. I would be pissed that they did not tell you that either.

You will get it right! If you need any advice I am always around to chat during regular business hours. Good luck

Trent

Thanks! The guy thought that they might be wrong when the ball was getting caught on them. Not with the fitment at the rail. I didn't know what to think after watching his handy work. He also never heard of 4's having any corner sagging problem. Unfortunately the money is getting pretty tight. I'm besides myself right now. I truly love the game but bailing on this project is starting to seem like the best idea. It's just over and over problems with people in this industry. I know there are some decent people out there though.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sucks when you pay for something and do not get exactly what you want / expect. I kinda feel though you might be being a little over dramatic. " Suck it up Buttercup comes to mind ", and here is why : You are the paying customer so essentially that makes YOU THE BOSS. In your post when you say " I say to myself in my head.....", well you SHOULD have been saying it ro them, not yourself. Once more - your the boss. As to the hardware, you should have made them use whatever hardware that you wanted to use, period. Then to top ot off you admitted you jist paid them and sent them on their way. Well, for one you should not have sent them of you were unhappy and they certain should never had been paid till you WERE HAPPY. Maybe you were just shy, or were intimidated or something but I can tell you anytime I sub any kind of work or a job out that sub WILL either do the job right OR do it exactly how I WANT it done lol - either is fine but for sure no $$$$ till that happens. Sorry about your new table bro, it does suck. One good thing though is ot sounds as if you know what you're doing and will be able to correct ot yourself ( even though you should not have to ) and will have it up and running in no time. Happy Mew Year!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that's an interesting way to use a shim. Never though of using one edge on. You have to give him credit for creativity.

About that smudge. I notice you have tournament blue cloth, which I have as well. Are you sure the dark smudge isn't just chalk? I thought my installers left grease on the cloth because they put a few screws on the table. Turned out later is was just the chalk.

I had my GC5 installed by two different installers, both of which are supposed to be top notch. One of them is well known in my area. Several years down the road and I'm still having problems.

Keep your head up, you'll get there soon enough!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to see this. Most installers are first class hackers at best. They are good for a dive bar installation. It seems we have to learn by poor experience. You did nothing wrong. You expected a professional job. And they talked a good game. I’ve been through it. No pun but chalk it up.... it’ll get worked out somehow.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck and hope it all works out, I had an Olhausen home table installed once and it was a very similar experience to yours, at the time i knew little about table installation and he just did a terrible job and it was never right- I ended up going back to drop pockets with a better installer. My GC4 was a much better install, I sure miss having a home billiard room. Table mechanics are really hit and miss, i learned that you need to get only the best- it is worth it!

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sucks when you pay for something and do not get exactly what you want / expect. I kinda feel though you might be being a little over dramatic. " Suck it up Buttercup comes to mind ", and here is why : You are the paying customer so essentially that makes YOU THE BOSS. In your post when you say " I say to myself in my head.....", well you SHOULD have been saying it ro them, not yourself. Once more - your the boss. As to the hardware, you should have made them use whatever hardware that you wanted to use, period. Then to top ot off you admitted you jist paid them and sent them on their way. Well, for one you should not have sent them of you were unhappy and they certain should never had been paid till you WERE HAPPY. Maybe you were just shy, or were intimidated or something but I can tell you anytime I sub any kind of work or a job out that sub WILL either do the job right OR do it exactly how I WANT it done lol - either is fine but for sure no $$$$ till that happens. Sorry about your new table bro, it does suck. One good thing though is ot sounds as if you know what you're doing and will be able to correct ot yourself ( even though you should not have to ) and will have it up and running in no time. Happy Mew Year!

Sorry to hear about the table but I agree with this post. I agree confrontation is tough, but you let them do a bunch of stuff that didn't make you happy and then paid them.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are correct I am the customer. I shouldn't have paid them. They did do something though. Considering that they're ok with that type of work I'm not sure I want much more out of them.I don't know exactly how the cloth should have been done and I was unaware that those were the wrong boots. They should have known though. I don't think they were capable of doing what I wanted. My experience with trying to get something corrected is that at usually ends up worse then when they started. I'm really not too shy. It was probably better that I sent them on their way. I can become a little unruly. I'm not going to give up but I'd like to. This has just been one problem after the other. It's getting harder and harder to find pride taken in any type of work. It seems most people don't even know any better.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about the table but I agree with this post. I agree confrontation is tough, but you let them do a bunch of stuff that didn't make you happy and then paid them.

When I observe work done like this I don't think they're going to make me happy with any attempt at doing better. I know if I don't do it it's not going to be done right. At least with the ball return system and gully boots. I'm not exactly sure how the cloth should be installed and I've never taken notice of the side pockets and the centering of the slate. It's been a learning experience for sure. Next time I'll speak up a little more but like I said when I know I'm going to do a nicer job.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent

Trent thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've now put the drop pockets in and can easily tell the return gully boots I have are wrong. The guy insisted that the didn't fit properly because the rails were extended. Claimed to have 27 years of experience. He should have known by looking at them that they were the wrong boots.

I removed the ball box also. I can see exactly how it's supposed to be attached, This guy is an effing idiot. He put the brackets on the outside of the box claiming they're all done like this. Inside brackets bolt to the pre-drilled holes in the panel that holds the balls. now the ball box has holes in it on the outside.

Hardly rocket science to put the ball return in and do a nice job. I would have done a better job at 12 years old probably even younger than that. I'll pick up the right boots.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear you had such problems with a table mechanic. But unfortunately, you are not alone as I have heard many stories like this. I had similar issues when I wanted my table set up the supposedly the "best" table mechanic in the country.... turned out to be a circus side show. Good luck in getting it all sorted out and Happy New Year.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you post up some name's, who knows, you might just make a difference with someone else's experience in the future.

Well... if we are naming names... my bad experience was with you.

Maybe is just might make a difference with someone else's experience in the future.