14.1 straight pool on 7' table

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Who plays straight pool on 7' tables?
I play on a tight pocket 7 footer and it's a tough game because of space restrictions.
A 7' table has 36% less playing surface than a 9', the bottom row of balls is 5" closer to the foot cushion and 5 inches less on each side.
My 7' high run is 45, 101+ is my goal.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play on a tight pocket 7 footer and it's a tough game because of space restrictions.
A 7' table has 36% less playing surface than a 9', the bottom row of balls is 5" closer to the foot cushion and 5 inches less on each side.
I bet J. Schmidt would run at LEAST 1,026 on it. ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
At Super Billiards Expo about six or seven years ago, they had a straight pool event contested on seven foot tables. The runs were more or less comparable, perhaps slightly higher, than one would have expected on a nine footer. The congestion after the break shots posed a problem but the shots were easier. It's quite a bit easier to run balls on an eight footer than a seven footer because the ball pocketing is relatively easy and the table is big enough that the table congestion is only marginally greater than on a nine footer.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That's not a bad run at all.

Considering the chance for a scratch on the break out after the 1st rack.
Good job!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bar box

I've voted on this before but will again. 14.1 on a bar box is far, far easier than on a 9'.

I've played many times to keep hitting balls while in between matches. I practically have to try to not post up a run of 50. On a 9' table there are so many shots that can hang up, rattle out, etc, and it's hard to shoot the break and secondary break shots with confidence sometimes because it can be hard to just pocket the ball. Put my on a 7' where everything looks like a hanger and it takes a heck of a bad roll to stop me. Plus there are more balls that can be dead combos in the rack which totally solve the frame. Granted a triple tight diamond box isn't quite the same, but I've played those too and they are a world easier than a 9'.

My best testimonial is I played scotch doubles straight pool with a buddy on a valley, we played one inning and ran 216. I scratched up table off a weird secondary break shot but he did leave me a gaffy angle.

Then again, my cue ball is my strength, maybe if I was a free wheeling hot shot I'd feel differently.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that is all you have available, then a 7' table is okay for anything you want to attempt.
But it will unintentionally sabotage your overall pool game when you switch to a 9' table.
It's really why I stopped playing on the littlest pool table a long time ago & never returned.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've voted on this before but will again. 14.1 on a bar box is far, far easier than on a 9'.

I've played many times to keep hitting balls while in between matches. I practically have to try to not post up a run of 50. On a 9' table there are so many shots that can hang up, rattle out, etc, and it's hard to shoot the break and secondary break shots with confidence sometimes because it can be hard to just pocket the ball. Put my on a 7' where everything looks like a hanger and it takes a heck of a bad roll to stop me. Plus there are more balls that can be dead combos in the rack which totally solve the frame. Granted a triple tight diamond box isn't quite the same, but I've played those too and they are a world easier than a 9'.

My best testimonial is I played scotch doubles straight pool with a buddy on a valley, we played one inning and ran 216. I scratched up table off a weird secondary break shot but he did leave me a gaffy angle.

Then again, my cue ball is my strength, maybe if I was a free wheeling hot shot I'd feel differently.

^^^^^^^^^^ sums up my thoughts and my experiences as well.

There's a reason bar owners chose to put 7' tables in their establishments. 7' tables are easier on all levels, bar none..so to speak.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Interesting. I've never tried straight pool on a barbox, and have sweated exactly one straight pool event on the small tables. Thanks for sharing your experience. Scotch doubles run of 216 is impressive on any equipment. Well played.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What's your high run on a 9'?