I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
$865 for a 15.75" turning square

giphy.gif

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a simple question for the OP.

Have you ever been on AZBilliards before? Yes or no.

If no, why not? With so much experience in wood and such a great looking website, why not?

If yes, under what name?

Thanks.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She sent me a follow up email yesterday with updated pricing.

Apparently there was an error in her spreadsheet that was causing the pricing to be calculated incorrectly. It's still pricey, but not as high as first posted.

I'm sure this pricing may be subject to change, and you'd probably want to contact her directly to confirm prior to ordering, but this is what I was sent...

HRB Pricing.JPG

Reactions: JC

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Apparently there was an error in her spreadsheet that was causing the pricing to be calculated incorrectly. It's still pricey, but not as high as first posted.

I'm sure this pricing may be subject to change, and you'd probably want to contact her directly to confirm prior to ordering, but this is what I was sent...

View attachment 494110

Ok, that's a heck of a lot more reasonable

Still high, but primo wood costs money

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member

View attachment 494110

sounds much better ,imo

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I buy lots of wood, often impulse buys. But having to ask for prices on something advertised as existing product flat turns me off. If the price is posted a person can make a quick snap judgement about how long it is likely to remain on the market or whether to spend on that piece of candy at the moment. Having to call or email just takes all the initiative out of it unless the product is really cheap. Make me work to buy your product and i already have an attitude less favorable to you and your inventory.

I'm brand new here so no particular weight to my opinion. :D However, the rules on several other boards appeal to me: If price, specs, and contact info are not included in first post, you don't post. Simple for everyone & avoids annoying the natives.

smt

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling

If an item is for sale on here you would think it has to have a price for all to see. No price with call me, text me, leads me to believe the price is outrageous and you are fishing for suckers or you are charging according to the individual which contacts you, different price for different folks.

I like for a consensus on boycotting these ads.

Although this will appear on this thread is not directly about this particular item but rather a general comment on the sales approach.

Mario (whom can help but add more than two cents at times)

JC

Coos Cues
If an item is for sale on here you would think it has to have a price for all to see. No price with call me, text me, leads me to believe the price is outrageous and you are fishing for suckers or you are charging according to the individual which contacts you, different price for different folks.

I like for a consensus on boycotting these ads.

Although this will appear on this thread is not directly about this particular item but rather a general comment on the sales approach.

Mario (whom can help but add more than two cents at times)

There is a long time seller here who seems well respected and operates exactly like this and I haven't seen anyone busting his balls.

JC

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
There is a long time seller here who seems well respected and operates exactly like this and I haven't seen anyone busting his balls.

JC

Maybe they should. With all the ridiculous rules on this forum, a rule for posting price seems like a reasonable one.

Reactions: JC

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Maybe they should. With all the ridiculous rules on this forum, a rule for posting price seems like a reasonable one.

Exactly, why people get all bent out of shape over jp stud sources posted but not veneer sources is one i dont get myself

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Honduran Rosewood Burl.......

Maybe this thread wasn't presented in a way that some may like. Regardless, there's a price now listed and everyone should be happy. This wood is obviously not for everyone. If the selling point of your cues won't produce a profit by adding a beautiful piece like this into one then it's probably not for you.
For those guys may I suggest....if you adore woods as such being listed, you better snatch a piece and build a cue for yourself. Great marketing tool and certainly will draw some attention to you and your craft. Put a price on it and if it sells fine. If it doesn't, you play with it for years to come and turn it into a family heirloom. The value should only increase.

Where else are going to find this wood? I personally know only know of 2 maybe 3 sources that won't waste my time when I do buy. When it's gone, it's gone. There is no replenishment going to happen. And believe me, it will disappear in the near future.
I've told the story many times to my close friends and have always suggested that if you are going to use unique exotic woods for your craft you had better invest in as much as your wallet will allow right now.
Look around at what's happened in just the last 2-5 years with "exotic" woods. When I started on the journey of collecting woods over 30 years ago I could walk into numerous wood selling outlets and readily purchase sticks of Brazilian Tulip and Kingwood and several other exotic woods for the ridiculous price of 12-14$ a stick. Where's that wood today? And if you do find it...how much is it?
When Surinam snakewood came on the scene...25-45$ a stick for the highly figured stuff! Where is it today?
When I first came across amboyna burl... 45-65$ a stick for the highly figured stuff. Last I looked 200-400$ a stick depending on the seller.
Not to mention the pressure from the International trade association wanting to put some kind of ban on just about every wood we covet for our craft.
If you want to complain about price, have at it. IMO you were probably not a buyer anyway and just wanted something to b!tch about. :cool:

JC

Coos Cues
Maybe this thread wasn't presented in a way that some may like. Regardless, there's a price now listed and everyone should be happy. This wood is obviously not for everyone. If the selling point of your cues won't produce a profit by adding a beautiful piece like this into one then it's probably not for you.
For those guys may I suggest....if you adore woods as such being listed, you better snatch a piece and build a cue for yourself. Great marketing tool and certainly will draw some attention to you and your craft. Put a price on it and if it sells fine. If it doesn't, you play with it for years to come and turn it into a family heirloom. The value should only increase.

Where else are going to find this wood? I personally know only know of 2 maybe 3 sources that won't waste my time when I do buy. When it's gone, it's gone. There is no replenishment going to happen. And believe me, it will disappear in the near future.
I've told the story many times to my close friends and have always suggested that if you are going to use unique exotic woods for your craft you had better invest in as much as your wallet will allow right now.
Look around at what's happened in just the last 2-5 years with "exotic" woods. When I started on the journey of collecting woods over 30 years ago I could walk into numerous wood selling outlets and readily purchase sticks of Brazilian Tulip and Kingwood and several other exotic woods for the ridiculous price of 12-14$ a stick. Where's that wood today? And if you do find it...how much is it?
When Surinam snakewood came on the scene...25-45$ a stick for the highly figured stuff! Where is it today?
When I first came across amboyna burl... 45-65$ a stick for the highly figured stuff. Last I looked 200-400$ a stick depending on the seller.
Not to mention the pressure from the International trade association wanting to put some kind of ban on just about every wood we covet for our craft.
If you want to complain about price, have at it. IMO you were probably not a buyer anyway and just wanted something to b!tch about. :cool:

Exactly right. If someone will pay the asking price it's at least right or maybe even too low. That's not for others to decide. The market always sorts this out.

I agree with saying how much you want for something though. It's been a pet peeve since I was young be it wood, a car or a house. Just show the price on the for sale sign so my and your time wont be wasted if it's not for me. Don't understand the thinking of the other side although I've seen many a heated debate about the subject and they somehow in their minds find a logic tree to justify not listing a price. Weird if you ask me. I simply don't inquire, not my kind of commerce.

JC

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

My gripe wasn't about the price, but rather the lack thereof. Fixed so a moot point, and much appreciated.

Aside from that, you bring up some valid points. When's the last time you were even able to buy kamphi, cochen, or palisander? For that matter, when is the last time you were able to find good quality hard curly maple, let alone get it affordably? How about real East Indian rose from the jungle, not that windbreak weed they call sonokeling? I bet many makers of my era and newer don't even know what EI rose really is. It hasn't been available as long as I've been making cues. Camatillo was gone for a long time until the last couple years. I had heard of it before but never had an opportunity to buy any until it suddenly popped up a few years ago again. Heck, I'd like to find a few nice pieces of pau rosa but even that has become elusive. Never mind some good figured bubinga or sapele. Point being, get the good wood when it's available and get as much as you can because it won't be there next time.

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honduran Rosewood

Both Dave & Eric have correctly identified what is and will continue to be happening with desirable exotic woods.

Someone once asked me if I planned on making cues, a day, a week, or the rest of my life - once I determined that cuemaking was not going to be a hobby I began to make the investment in those things that would directly contribute to my success . . . the very best high quality exotic woods were at the top of the list.

Enough said.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Forum Pricing....

It probably is best on this particular forum to just post a price along with the wares you have to peddle. But not posting a price really doesn't bother me so much. If I'm looking at a Porsche I already know I'm not going to buy it. If I'm house shopping and driving around a hood that has what appear to be 1.5 or 2M looking houses, I already know I'm in the wrong neighborhood.
Point is....you already know your limits as to what you're going to spend on a certain item before you even going "shopping". I already know if I'm looking at HRB like what is in the pictures shown that it could very well put a dent in my bankers wallet. I don't need a price listed. IF the pictures interest me I'm all about engaging in a conversation that could very well lead to the results I'm trying to achieve.
Sure we'd all like get in on buying this beautiful species for 75$ a stick but your alarm clock is still 5 minutes from going off! ;)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you are just starting your river of woods now, you have my sympathy.
But, it could be worse.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It probably is best on this particular forum to just post a price along with the wares you have to peddle.

This was the only point i intended to make in my earlier post.

However:
But not posting a price really doesn't bother me so much. If I'm looking at a Porsche I already know I'm not going to buy it. If I'm house shopping and driving around a hood that has what appear to be 1.5 or 2M looking houses, I already know I'm in the wrong neighborhood.

To extend your analogy, it kind of depends what neighborhood you started in. We can all agree that "rare" lumber is getting rarer and more expensive. But if a person is used to buying lumber including exotics for millwork projects and skimming off a few interesting boards, or asking the sales guy on a large native lumber order "say, do you guys keep any exotics on hand - i might be interested in a board or 2". That is a somewhat different world & perspective than the world where you look for exotic wood at exotic wood jobbers and buy a few sticks or turning squares at a time.

That said, the burls that have been advertised recently did not strike me as bad pricing, I'd buy in a heartbeat for a defined furniture project. But i know 2 things: 1.) i'll see similar or better again. 2.) for cues, I'm a hobbyist, my name means squat, so I couldn't put $500 in total materials into one.include the labor equivalent to respect those materials, and make any profit. :grin:

Having a price out front saves time and potential embarrassment for everyone.

smt