how are ya'll doing in league ?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story. I was on a conference call for work all day. Told my boss I needed a one hour break. Ran to pool league. Played my match, I am an SL6 and played another strong 6...great guy. Told him i was in a hurry...lol! He jumped out to a lead, but i fought back to lead 24-23. Won 46-31.

Finished in 35 minutes!!!! back in time to shower before getting back on the conf call.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story. I was on a conference call for work all day. Told my boss I needed a one hour break. Ran to pool league. Played my match, I am an SL6 and played another strong 6...great guy. Told him i was in a hurry...lol! He jumped out to a lead, but i fought back to lead 24-23. Won 46-31.

Finished in 35 minutes!!!! back in time to shower before getting back on the conf call.

Now this here is a dedicated league player fellas .:thumbup: And congrats on the win.

I posted some of last weekends results in my thread whining about my weekend usapl national qualifier. I gotta tell you it was the most nerve racking drama filled qualifier I have ever been in and most of it was caused by my team mates failure to show up and some not even notify me .

I won 2 out of 3 in 8 ball and the team finished in third ...i think lol.

I also won 2 out of 3 in 9 ball and we lost in the finals. Not bad for a team made up of mostly low level players. My 352....320 ... And 234 played their hearts out and even played above their level a couple times.

My 234 had to have been our MVP of the tournament. Twice she played the last match and pulled off wins to move us on to the next round. One was an unbelievable win against a 488. A damn good long table bank on the 9 and a shot on the 9 that would make efren proud sealed the win for her in that round.

bobprobst

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got bumped up to a 6 in 8ball 2 weeks ago after a long year of hearing players complain about my handicap. The extra game isn't so bad. When I'm on, I play solid position and solid defense and can kick well. Tonight, I got my second win against a 7 this season. I struggle when playing strong 5s - especially when they can bank everything (my bank game needs a lot of work!)

My 9 ball game has been on point (I've been an APA 6 for a couple years) and have run undefeated this season. I really get in stroke when I just have one ball + position to worry about. Bar box 8 ball needs much more precise position than 9, especially when you have clusters to break and defense can get very squirrelly when your opponent has so many balls on the table.

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to everyone on their playoff wins and good showings.

9-ball (SL6) - We just played our first 9-ball match of the session. This is my first time every playing in a 9-ball league. Since I'm an SL8 (which is bogus) in 8-ball they started me as a SL6 (they agreed I'm not really an SL8). My first match was against a SL3 after our captain made a stupid matchup and got her butt kicked (she's an SL3 and played a strong SL5.) In this league your rank determines how many balls you have to make before you're on the 9 and it is a race to 5 for everyone. This was a bit of a struggle for me because I was constantly wondering when he was going to be able to shoot the 9 and how I needed to plan in order to make it harder for him.

I shot pretty good, but not great, and managed to win. 9-ball on 9-footers definitely results in a lot more long shots than 8-ball does. I'm going to have to work hard on that. I played some good defense and made the shots I needed to. I think I won 5-3.

8-ball (SL8) - We've played 2 weeks of 8-ball since my last post.

Week 1
I got matched up against a guy I didn't know. He is an SL6. We played really tight matches, and I think I made it to the 8-ball in every game. We had a few defensive battles where we each played 2-3 safeties in a row and the other got a good hit. He scratched a few times, but I don't think either of us missed a ball to give the other BIH. The innings were a little high, if I had to guess (we don't keep track), but I was impressed with how I played. All that being said, I lost 4-1 and the one I won he made the 8 and scratched, 3-rails in the side. I was okay with losing because I think I played as well as I can expect. While talking to people afterwards I found out the man I played is definitely better than a SL6, but hasn't played in this league for awhile. Everyone says he will be an SL8 very soon. This made me feel even better about my playing.

Week 2
In week 1 our captain had signed up too many players for our team. We have 5 teams in the league. One of our better players decided she was going to try to get a 6th team together. Hate to see her go, but it is great that she was able to get a 6th team because we now don't have any byes and the cash pot will be bigger at the end of the year. Not only did she leave (SL5), but she took a new kid from the team (good friend of hers and an SL6) who is better than me and would have been our strongest player. This kind of hurt. I show up for week 2 and my wife is sick as hell, another lady can't afford to play that night, and our captain can't play that week. That leaves just 5 of us.
My wife dominated her opponent to win in a great showing from her. Two of our new players squeaked out victories. We then decided to throw me on an SL4 and let our SL2 play their SL8. I got destroyed. This guys break was terrible (for me) and I never had a shot to get started. He was about 50/50 on making a ball, but if he didn't I was screwed. By the 2nd/3rd ball of every game I was already playing defense with at least one cluster on the table and his balls spread beautifully. Most games I had to try 3-4 defenses in a row because I never had a good offensive shot. I'd make 2-3 okay defenses and then miss one, giving him an out. I was not shooting very well and my speed control was terrible. The one time I had a good chance to get out I blew it. He beat me 3-0 in a 3-7 race. I don't know if it was the rushing around before the matches, not getting much practice because there was only one practice table, or what. I was way off and paid for it. I'm not 0-2 for this session, but our team has gotten 5 out of 10 points, so I won't complain.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night I was tired and did not play my best.
But 4 out of my 5 opponents found a way to beat them selves allowing me to score a 47 out of a possible 50.
Got to love it when the other guys dog it.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost both my matches Monday night in spectacular fashion...missed several of the easiest shots I have ever missed. I was excited to play because I had bought and installed my first kamui tip... a kamui hard original, what a friggin mistake. At first I thought I was just having an off night, so last night I went back to the hall to see if I had just digressed back to beginner status and crapped out all of the ability I had gained of the last 30 years. First hour I shot with the cue that has the new tip on it.. same result. Screwed together the old mcdermott with the Lepro tip on it and couldn't miss for two hours. Live and learn I suppose...gonna tear that 20 dollar tip off and go back to the tried and true.. only wish I had done so before my matches Monday night!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We started our apa.9 ball cities tonight. It started out rough but we managed to pull it off.

First match my 5 loses to a 5 by 13-7

Second match my 4 loses to a 5 by 19-1. This guy rolled over my player in 6 innings. Just wow ! he shouldn't be a 5 tomorrow after that match.

I faced another 5 and won 17-3. I had a lil help from my opponent. He was obviously nervous and missed some shots I think he should not have and I took advantage of it.

4th match my 4 won 15-5 vs another 4.

So we are tied 40-40 going into the last match.

My 3 vs a 4 and she wins 25-28. This is the 234 on my usapl team that kept pulling off wins in the last match every time in our national qualifier last weekend. I am proud od her on how she is getting pretty receptive on mw callin timeouts on her.

Hope we do as good tomorrow night

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We started our apa.9 ball cities tonight. It started out rough but we managed to pull it off.

First match my 5 loses to a 5 by 13-7

Second match my 4 loses to a 5 by 19-1. This guy rolled over my player in 6 innings. Just wow ! he shouldn't be a 5 tomorrow after that match.

I faced another 5 and won 17-3. I had a lil help from my opponent. He was obviously nervous and missed some shots I think he should not have and I took advantage of it.

4th match my 4 won 15-5 vs another 4.

So we are tied 40-40 going into the last match.

My 3 vs a 4 and she wins 25-28. This is the 234 on my usapl team that kept pulling off wins in the last match every time in our national qualifier last weekend. I am proud od her on how she is getting pretty receptive on mw callin timeouts on her.

Hope we do as good tomorrow night

Very cool! Bring it home...

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a 2 man league at Romines where I'm from. I love this league, great group of regular players, a lot that have been playing there since they've opened. They have 3 seasons they play, all 8 ball and 9 ball twice a week. Then they have a One Pocket League on Mondays that I can only assume is caters to old retired guys since it's in the morning.

With that said, I single-handedly got us in first place for spring 8 ball, then played the 2nd place team for the 2 final weeks and I was all out of stroke. I shot so bad I single-handedly brought us out of 1st and into 3rd.

Summer 9 ball just started last Tuesday and you play 12 games each player. I won 8.

So far so good!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we wound up in the losers bracket tonight in apa 9 ball cities. My other 4 lost 19-1 to a 5 tonight just like the other one last night. This time we could not overcome that big of a point deficit. I did have my second 17-3 win over another 5 though.

Try again tomorrow. :smile:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well like I.have been saying for the last few years. always next year to try fir Vegas. Just got put out. Our team his could not get it together this weekend.

And today was my turn to play like shit. I am not the only reason we got put out today but my match didn't help any.

After winning my last to matches ...against 5's by a score of 17-3 in both I lost 17-3 ...vs a 3 no less. He won the lag and broke and run 6 balls before missing. Much of the red of the match went the same as the first rack. Downright embarrassing.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After winning my last to matches ...against 5's by a score of 17-3 in both I lost 17-3 ...vs a 3 no less. He won the lag and broke and run 6 balls before missing. Much of the red of the match went the same as the first rack. Downright embarrassing.

We all have those nights pal. Sorry.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Well like I.have been saying for the last few years. always next year to try fir Vegas. Just got put out. Our team his could not get it together this weekend.

And today was my turn to play like shit. I am not the only reason we got put out today but my match didn't help any.

Yeah, that sucks.... Been there myself.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played really well this evening. I put away the cue with the Kamui hard tip on it and broke out the Mcdermott...have a new Sniper tip coming for the J Pechauer...til it arrives it is retired...anyway on to the matches.

8 ball I played the best 6 (former 7) in the league. Got off to a quick start as I got up 2-0. He crept back in and tied it 2-2, but I took the last few racks and ended up winning 4-2. I had 35 completions 3 safeties and 4 misses in this match.

9 ball, same guy 6-6 race, same deal...got off to a 4-1 lead, he started playing more safeties and tied it up 4-4. I buckled down and got the last 2...to win 6-4.

It is amazing the difference a tip you are used to playing with and a week makes.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it's been a mixed bag this summer, we have two small local leagues, an 8 ball and a 9 ball. Been doing real good in the 8 ball and so so in the 9 ball. Actually tonight will be my last night since we are relocating to AZ on Monday. The leagues are not bad, really pretty much trouble free. Players range from decent to new players. Glad to see that since it means more people are trying pool.
Won't be any leagues for me in AZ just a lot of 1P.

Cueball13

Registered
It’s been ehh so far. I have been second guessing myself which has costed me a few games. Just haven’t been able to seal the deal to win one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night I had the most embarrassing loss I can ever recall having.

I like to say I dont have excuses for losing....only reasons. ;)

I had to run a jackhammer all day at work and let me tell you...its murder on my disabled shooting hand. I text and said I was not going to league last night because I was wore out and my hand was hurting.

Well come to find out we were going to be short handed. One players father in law died..... One had a rough day at the dentist....one had car trouble....etc...etc.. So I went.

As luck would have it they threw a 9 on me. It was bad enough that this dude was shooting like efren but I had to help him out also I guess. Scratched twice and missed with bih once trying to get shape. :eek:

Glad when it was all over . Oh yea... The score ? How about 75-4 ? Damn !

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like bad matches are going around.
I played our big Vegas qualifier this weekend. Got there early and played a bunch of games on the practice tables and played well. Once the actual tournament started for us, I felt confident going into my match, and was matched up against a 3 (I'm a 5). I won the lag, broke and sank a few, then we took turns until I was on the 8. I fought off a couple defenses, and finally got a look at the 8, but left it hanging. She ran out from there. Second game I got out in front early, had a makeable back cut on the 8 in the side, but the cue went 3 rails and scratched. Match over, have a nice day. Gave away three team points too with that. Frustrated does not begin to describe it. We went on to lose as a team too.
UGH!!!!!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like bad matches are going around.
I played our big Vegas qualifier this weekend. Got there early and played a bunch of games on the practice tables and played well. Once the actual tournament started for us, I felt confident going into my match, and was matched up against a 3 (I'm a 5). I won the lag, broke and sank a few, then we took turns until I was on the 8. I fought off a couple defenses, and finally got a look at the 8, but left it hanging. She ran out from there. Second game I got out in front early, had a makeable back cut on the 8 in the side, but the cue went 3 rails and scratched. Match over, have a nice day. Gave away three team points too with that. Frustrated does not begin to describe it. We went on to lose as a team too.
UGH!!!!!

Been there done that. I am a 5 and would rather play a 7 than a 3.

Well quite a bit to report here myself after a very busy weekend.

Friday night I played another 5 in both 8 and 9. Won both of them without too much to describe other then we both shot good but I came out on top.

Saturday I played in a new format for a Vegas qualifier. Wrote about it in its own thread on here. I won 12 out of 15 racks but we came in second...closest I have come to qualifying in a while. Really hate second place cause its the last loser.

Last night I was shooting real good . Maybe it was being in stroke from playing so much over the last few days. I won 4-0 vs a 4 in 8 ball with a break and run in there.

9 ball vs a 5 was a disaster. I played the room owner and it was hard to keep my head in the game waiting darn near 10 minutes it was time for him to shoot. He kept taking time to do whatever tending the room patrons while playing. I once waited quite a while for him to take paper to the men's room. I still managed t keep it close losing 38 to 31. I missed shots I never should .