Are Adams' Balabushka's Worth The Cost?

PoolHawk21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been contemplating stepping in to an Adams Balabushka cue but have heard great variations in opinion of the quality of these cues. Some say that they may be the finest cues made (outside of the authentic Balabushkas) while others say that the construction and finish are not up to par for the price range. I can't actually shoot with one, as this is one cue I have never come across - so I am looking for opinions/reviews/experiences from you all to help with the decision. Thanks!!!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been contemplating stepping in to an Adams Balabushka cue but have heard great variations in opinion of the quality of these cues. Some say that they may be the finest cues made (outside of the authentic Balabushkas) while others say that the construction and finish are not up to par for the price range. I can't actually shoot with one, as this is one cue I have never come across - so I am looking for opinions/reviews/experiences from you all to help with the decision. Thanks!!!

I would say they are not. And, they definitely are not anywhere near the top of production cues, let alone the finest ever made.
They are usually ok, as Adam cues have been, for a good many years. As to being worth the money, it's a matter of opinion and you have mine.
I would suggest a Pechauer or a Joss, maybe even a Lucasi as being a better production line cue.

PoolHawk21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the opinion, Pushout. Since they are now almost impossible to find, as Adams is no longer making them, I might just stop pulling my hair out trying to find one.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the opinion, Pushout. Since they are now almost impossible to find, as Adams is no longer making them, I might just stop pulling my hair out trying to find one.

Many, many years ago, Adam was on par with any other production cue company at that time. I hit a bunch that I would have bought in a heartbeat if they had been for sale {they weren't}. I think their quality has dropped quite a bit in recent years.
You're welcom1

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
My Recommendation

Pick out a Balabushka style you like and have Jerry Rauenzahn make you a Balabushka tribute cue.

Here is a Balabushka Tribute he recently made for me: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=235854

Last edited:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I had one of these cues back in 1988/1989. I would say it hit fairly well. The reason I sold it after about 6 months....I was more into gambling back then. It was a little too fancy, when I pulled it out of the case....sometimes my opponent would unscrew or the wager would be lowered..:frown:
I want to say I payed $345 for ir bran new back then.
After selling the Adams, I purchased a Tim Scruggs (sneaky), won more money with that cue than all other cues combined. :smile:

Six Shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really Like Mine

I actually have one of them.

Overall, I love the forward weight in it and really don't have to pound the CB to get it to work. (makes mental note to self to not pound CB)

Considering what I've previously had, I get relatively low deflection.

I knew the moment I put one in my hand that it was the right one for me as it just felt right.

We all have our own opinions as to what works for each of us and it's all about our own personal feel and what we like.

However; if you decide you want to try one, I'd recommend one of the older models as opposed to what is being stocked now.

Good luck in your quest.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adams Balabushka Cues

I have the following comments:

A) I think it depends on your budget and what you will be happy playing with. Some worry about the looks of a nicer cue and risk of it getting stolen.

B) Adams cues are mass produced and will not bring back the same money of some custom cues if you ever sell.

C) Denali cues has some current cues for sell on the forum that are a bargain for the price and quality received. Search the wanted/for sale section for newest cues.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=196170&highlight=denali

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=194717&highlight=denali

I recall Denali was the winner of the blind AZ cue maker build off.

D) I bought a cue from AZer Rackem that is the model 4140 cue for less than $100.00 USD. These were hand picked best cues made by KaoKao that did not cost much - but worked well.
I shot over 24 balls in 14.1 the first time I screwed one of these cue together.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=175192&highlight=4140

Note that some of his Radial joints were not inter changeable with come common thread types.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=210512

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Pick out a Balabushka style you like and have Jerry Rauenzahn make you a Balabushka tribute cue.

Here is a Balabushka Tribute he recently made for me: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=235854

I was wondering who got that cue. I'm on his e-mail list so he sent me progress pics as he was going along. I really like this design and he did a great job on the cue..

Jerry did another Buska tribute a short while ago of an original cue one of our members owned - but i don't know who got that.

Chris

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Someone actually told you that they were one of the finest cues made??? Well that's someone who has zero knowledge of the current group of excellent cue makers in this country today. I used to play with an Adams cue when I was in my 20's. It was a good entry level cue in those days. Today, I doubt it would stack up too well with any of the high quality production cues being manufactured, let alone all the fine custom cues available. IMO an Adams cue (even a "Balabushka" model) is worth the two or three hundred they sell for. Any more than that and you're over paying. JMHO of course. :D

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of them. I think it's model #8 or something like that.

It's a nice enough cue, but I had to change the tip. I prefered a different hit.

The cue is not really all that super high quality. It looks really nice.

It's like driving a Ferrari kit car. Eye candy.

It was an inexpensive way to get a nice old-time-looking cue without breaking the bank.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I recently tried two different ones out. Didn't like them. Felt kind of cheap to me, but not horrible. Much better choices out there for quality production cues, and even some plain customs, especially for what the higher end Balabushka models are retailing for. You can get a nice Joss or Schon for about the same money and you'll be infinitely happier. You'll find a couple of folks here that like them, but IMHO (since you're asking), you can spend your money better!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

In recent years I have sold a number of the Adam Bushka replica's and the Adam remade models from their earlier catalogs and while they are not collectible they are great playing cues. They give all the traditional designs most would ever want for a small price tag, which I think is well worth the money.

The cues are constructed using full or short splices which are made from quality woods. The inlays are all real with no laser etchings, and they are built to a very good qaulity standard like a cue designed for a player should be.

In my opinion they are equal or better than other import cues being made today anywhere in Asia and they cost a great deal less than most of the other imports being sold.

In my opinion Adam / Helmstetter cues and their traditional designs are one of the best buys you make for a non-custom ( Production ) players cue due to the cost and the quality of their construction.

Take care

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
-R- Palmer Tribute

I was wondering who got that cue. I'm on his e-mail list so he sent me progress pics as he was going along. I really like this design and he did a great job on the cue..

Jerry did another Buska tribute a short while ago of an original cue one of our members owned - but i don't know who got that.

Chris

Chris, Jerry is almost finished making me a Palmer "Hybrid" Tribute. It has the catalog 2 Model H Wedge on the butt sleeve and the reverse Ebony Forearm (Without the MOP Inlays) like the Model J. Veneer colors are White/Purple/Blue/Black with the standard Palmer Joint rings. Not sure if Jerry sent you preliminary pic's. It is a beauty!!!

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Richard Helmstetter still make any cues himself by hand? His earlier stuff was amazing.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris, Jerry is almost finished making me a Palmer "Hybrid" Tribute. It has the catalog 2 Model H Wedge on the butt sleeve and the reverse Ebony Forearm (Without the MOP Inlays) like the Model J. Veneer colors are White/Purple/Blue/Black with the standard Palmer Joint rings. Not sure if Jerry sent you preliminary pic's. It is a beauty!!!

I don't think I've seen this one but the design is one of my favorite cues. It should look sensational with a reverse. Please let me know when you post pictures.

Chris

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I recently read that Adam's production was now in China, which would add reason to their decline in quality and value.

JV

PoolHawk21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your opinions, insights, and ideas. AZB is definitely the right place to turn for information! In part due to what you all commented as well as other reasons - I decided to drop my quest for an Adams Balabushka and support a local cuemaker. My new Joss production cue is on the way! Thanks again...

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your opinions, insights, and ideas. AZB is definitely the right place to turn for information! In part due to what you all commented as well as other reasons - I decided to drop my quest for an Adams Balabushka and support a local cuemaker. My new Joss production cue is on the way! Thanks again...

I think you'll be happier with the Joss. And, it's ADAM, by the way, not Adams

lumberjack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
adam

If you want a nice player, seek out an old plain jane ADAM, the Rempe's in particular with a brass pin at 5/16-18. You can probably get one for around a hundred bucks.
If you want a fine tribute cue, follow "Wedge's" advice above.