Are the Ko brothers Ambi-ocular?

Boyumusty

Registered
In photos with Ko Ping-chung and Ko Pin-yi I see that they don't have their cue under any specific eye, mostly directly under the chin. Is this "Ambi-ocular"?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In photos with Ko Ping-chung and Ko Pin-yi I see that they don't have their cue under any specific eye, mostly directly under the chin. Is this "Ambi-ocular"?
I think ambiocular does mean no dominant eye, but preferring your cue centered under your eyes doesn't necessarily mean that. Could be weak dominance or just personal preference.

pj
chgo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Could mean anything. I'm not sure how to diagnose if you're ambiocular, but to find your dominate eye focus on something 15 feet away with both eyes, then by closing 1 eye at a time, find the eye that doesn't make the object jump to the side (that's your dominate eye).

Focusing is obviously more important. I'm trying to find some sort of optical aid that I know I need, but ever test measures that I'm just fine. It seems like under certain light conditions things are noticeably blurrier, but I can't replicate that light to prove it in office, so I'm not sure what to do.

However I know something is up with me, as just about any bar box pool table light causes this blurry effect (3500k to 4000k), or at least I'm perceiving it that way. I know when the light is coming off of 10 feet ceilings (commercial ~5k environments), I never notice this and have no problem focusing on my shots. With research in attempt to help explain my condition, I've discovered that warm light is not good for focusing (as seen with auto-focusing cameras), and red light causes weird fractal artifacts (as seen in a green houses), so at this point I'm left to assume that anything but ~4500k to 5500k is not fair conditions for most games/sports requiring vision (which I guess makes since as all events target ~5k it seems).

NOTE: I only brought up the whole light temperature thing because when I shoot on a bar box, I have to adjust my posture to focus better, which could be what Ko is doing (for which ever reason, although it's probably just for comfort).

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players can get caught up in the visual aspect of shooting. Tilting your head for instance might give you better depth perception. I think if you've spent enough time over a cue, looking at everything flat, is easier to remember.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dominant eye is little overrated matter... Put the cue where ever it works.

I’ve always shot left or right. My thought is we have adapted to vision since we first opened our eyes and we just naturally adapt without the need to overthink it. It’s the same as throwing a ball to first base or shooting a puck with a stick. Split second action

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always shot left or right. My thought is we have adapted to vision since we first opened our eyes and we just naturally adapt without the need to overthink it. It’s the same as throwing a ball to first base or shooting a puck with a stick. Split second action

As a righty with a dominant left eye it's not as natural as you might think for everyone. Placing the cue under my left eye makes a clear difference for me but even after knowing that for some time the positioning feels unnatural and I still remind myself to do it.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My impression is that the majority of pool players have their cues in the center rather than under one eye. And definitely most snooker players.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is aiming in pool? Isn't it really placing the centers of two round balls directly in line with the center of the pocket? if so, there is a lot of ocular perception happening that can "trick" one into seeing the true aiming point incorrectly.

Being able to have your dominant eye "involved" in the OBJECT BALL contact point decision is what one should strive for in aiming. The dominant eye will aid in reducing contact point mis- perception. This does not have to rely on having the cue stick directly under the dominant eye. "Seeing " the correct contact point on the object ball is where the dominant eye comes into play. "Striking" the cue ball in the proper place has nothing to do with a dominant eye

The Key then, is to be sure that BOTH EYES are fully engaged at the point of cue release- your mind will handle the rest- All shooters just need to be sure that both eyes are engaged fully in final focus - it does not matter where the cue stick is held - if both eyes are fully engaged- your mind will SEE the contact point as your eyes project the image.

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty sure i did not have a dominant eye when playing pool in 70's/80's.
When i got back in 8 -10 yrs ago, it was at same time as retina surgery.
After that, it took me a long time (years) to realize part of what made me shoot so bad, was seeing the contact point at a place it actually (visually) was misplaced from.

Like trying to grab a fish in the water. It's not that most of us couldn't do it, but most of us have not practiced enough to correct for the visual mirage of where the fish actually is. we grab in the wrong place.

Now that scar tissue is growing over the retina, and a second layer over the new cataract lens, left eye gets blurrier by the week. Doc said in Jan at annual check up that i have 20/20 corrected vision, just can't see anything. :thumbup:

Anyway, my pool game was getting better.
Being forced to rely on a single good input eye?
Don't know since the plague hit.

smt

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While learning how to shoot opposite handed, and knowing how dominant eye aiming works, I’ve found that when shooting with my dominant hand, I prefer aiming with my left eye to cut balls to the right, and my right eye to cut balls to the left; all while centering my chin directly above the cue. I feel like it allows me to see more of whichever side of the ball im trying to hit. Maybe I’m foolish, but I’m ambidextrous with everything else