Slip Stroke

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see it.
I might not understand what a slip stroke is.

Is it where on the final stroke your backhand
slides along the butt and the cue moves
very little, then you grip the cue again and
stroke forward?
Not sure if I am wording this correctly.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok , what do you mean with slip stroke , I must be missing something. I don't see what he is doing anything out of the ordinary

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see it.
I might not understand what a slip stroke is.

Is it where on the final stroke your backhand
slides along the butt and the cue moves
very little, then you grip the cue again and
stroke forward?
Not sure if I am wording this correctly.

Had to watch a few strokes to catch him doing it but, yes, you describe it right. Watch Cisero Murphy to see a very obvious one in action.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, pretty much, during your practice strokes you back hand is forward then during your final stroke it slips back into position. Josh definitely does it, it may not be very exaggerated which is why you are having trouble seeing it. It has become somewhat of a lost art for some reason, I know Jimmy Moore and Billy Burge ( cornbread red) had it.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had to watch a few strokes to catch him doing it but, yes, you describe it right. Watch Cisero Murphy to see a very obvious one in action.

I see him sliding his hand back pre shot but not on the final stroke.
Time?

Edit: I went to a derby city 9 ball
match. I see him doing it now.
It's a very quick motion, unlike Cisero.

Last edited:

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does it during his final stroke as well. Like Sea Brisket said it is not very obvious, Cisero Murphy or Jimmy Moore would be good players to look up if you wanna see it in action.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see him sliding his hand back pre shot but not on the final stroke.
Time?

Edit: I went to a derby city 9 ball
match. I see him doing it now.
It's a very quick motion, unlike Cisero.

You can look at the shot at 37:15 and just barely see him slide a couple of inches back. I saw a more obvious one when I first looked. On a small crowded table he doesn't have to let his stroke out much at all so most of his strokes are traditional. I'd bet that you'd see it in a video of him playing rotation on a 9'.

Edit: You edited and I didn't notice.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Wow sick runout for josh on his 3rd
Him n shane are breakn n runnin every rack so far great shooting

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video to see the match but the quality was insanely high on both sides. Amazing.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The late Johnny Ervolino has a slip stroke like smooth butter in the sun. You can see a straight pool match against Earl on YouTube. Johnny ran over 300
In his eighties if I recall correctly. Monstrous achievement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing Willie Mosconi slip stroke at one time
Jimmy Moore,Slip Stroke Junior, and afellanamed Jerry trig in Dallas

Triggs stroke was so beautiful that Billy stroud mentioned it to me about 50 years after Jerry was last seen

Nothing is so beautiful as a slip stroke.I tried it and found that my stroke was better,more powerful,drew easier but I didn't want to spend the time practicing in order to get natural

wish i had

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sort of seeing it.

Sometimes I might be doing a slip stroke by mistake. A bit of timing off or lose the grip in a mental lapse when hitting balls on my snooker table. Although not common, happens when I’m doing a table length shot...I usually lighten the grip a bit and throw the cue a bit more.

Anyways. What is he purpose of a slip stroke? More spin? Better pace on the ball?

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sort of seeing it.

Sometimes I might be doing a slip stroke by mistake. A bit of timing off or lose the grip in a mental lapse when hitting balls on my snooker table. Although not common, happens when I’m doing a table length shot...I usually lighten the grip a bit and throw the cue a bit more.

Anyways. What is he purpose of a slip stroke? More spin? Better pace on the ball?

I'm not sure if there is a real purpose. Cornbread red said he developed it naturally when he started playing his best pool. Some say it helps them get a better feel for the shot and allows them to get more draw or follow. I am not sure why that would be the case. None of the top pro players in today's game that I know of have a slip stroke. I just thought it was really neat seeing a player that uses one.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I can't believe that not one poster has mentioned Francisco Bustamante yet.

Find any YouTube video with him playing and it is utterly apparent that he uses a slip stroke.

Maniac

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if there is a real purpose. Cornbread red said he developed it naturally when he started playing his best pool. Some say it helps them get a better feel for the shot and allows them to get more draw or follow. I am not sure why that would be the case. None of the top pro players in today's game that I know of have a slip stroke. I just thought it was really neat seeing a player that uses one.

When I'm feeling very loose and in stroke I have occasionally had a natural tendency to slip stroke. I've never done it intentionally.

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be used to eliminate Death Gripping. Of course the cure could be worse than the disease.

In my experience, slip stroking feels lovely when I time it right, but I'm more consistent with the grip taught by Barry Stark on his YouTube videos. YMMV.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i slip stroked ,the effect was taking the cue back further and following through with authority

it eliminated the wristy quick weak stroke that tended to foul things up

in my case it produced a big flowing stroke

something different than just setting up and then moving my hand bach a few inches

altogether different