Andy cloth; as good as it _LOOKS_?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been watching a lot of matches using Andy cloth and it appears that when a ball comes to rest it settles in a little. It looks very responsive and the balls appear to move more at the natural angles, although that might be my perception. It kind of seems like the movement is going down grain on a snooker, but comes to rest up grain, if that makes sense.

Simonis quality is great, but to me it seems like 860HR is on the 50 yard line with its speed for its texture. I like worsted as I used to play 3 cushion long ago, but I often think to myself that if the cloth was faster or slower, then... xyz. Lately I feel the cloth should just be faster for its texture and every place should switch to 760, but then I realize there is other cloths out there like Andy!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've been watching a lot of matches using Andy cloth and it appears that when a ball comes to rest it settles in a little. It looks very responsive and the balls appear to move more at the natural angles, although that might be my perception. It kind of seems like the movement is going down grain on a snooker, but comes to rest up grain, if that makes sense.

Simonis quality is great, but to me it seems like 860HR is on the 50 yard line with its speed for its texture. I like worsted as I used to play 3 cushion long ago, but I often think to myself that if the cloth was faster or slower, then... xyz. Lately I feel the cloth should just be faster for its texture and every place should switch to 760, but then I realize there is other cloths out there like Andy!

I play in Europe, and many places have 760 cloth. It's just harder wearing and doesn't lose speed like 860 cloth does. It's good for straight pool througout its lifespan, and will play consistent until it's worn paper thin, if kept clean. I have played on Andy cloth. It's different from 760, but if given a choice I'd rather play on 760.

In general, I do not like 860, as it starts out slidy and then ends up like a rug. It's also extremely sensitive to moisture as are all wool cloths. In my opinion it has the worst of both worlds, not the consistency of 760 and not the playability of wool. 860 HR plays weird to me, and I really can't understand why anyone would like it.

I play Chinese 8 ball on Joy tables, which uses match snooker cloth and also on snooker tables which use the same. This is a shorn wool cloth (nap is mostly shaved off) which in my opinion plays PERFECT. Sadly it's worn out rather quickly, and is extremely expensive to boot, but for pure playability, I think it is superior to anything else, even if it does have a very slight nap effect and is sensitive to moisture as it's all wool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My local room has been switching to ANDY 988. To me its about the same speed as HR. Very nice cloth and the mgr. said they are getting it at a very good price. The mechanic doing the work said he's been installing a lot of it and so far he's had no complaints.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my cloth rolls so fast that slow rolling balls just roll and roll

i am not enjoying the speed
i don't know which simonis i have

how can you tell
my cloth is home table,light play 6 months or so

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

how can you tell
Hard to tell by looking. 760 Simonis is REAL fast. 860HR is faster than 860 but not like 760. Know who did your table last? They should know.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hit the cue ball up and down table real hard. if it goes about 4 to 41/2 times then its about right. on a 9 footer.
all else is bull crap as far as speed.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to tell by looking. 760 Simonis is REAL fast. 860HR is faster than 860 but not like 760. Know who did your table last? They should know.

If the cloth was installed by a real professional under the cushion can tell the story.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 297

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I am interested in using Andy cloth.
It’s time to recloth my Diamond and have used Simonis on my last two tables, and have been happy. Andy cloth has been promoting the game more than any other pool related company in my region. If it plays and lasts good I would make the switch to help support them. It is slightly cheaper but I would not make the change based on the a few dollars saved.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andy cloth is a lot cheaper than Simonis but it doesn't play as well and has to be changed out more frequently. I noticed that the Billiard Tournaments were using Andy cloth but that stopped rather quickly as I now see their back to Simonis.

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

how can you tell

You can shine a black light on the cloth and there will be a code imprinted. Send that code to Simonis and they'll tell you what cloth it is. Had to learn this when I suspected my installer gave me the wrong cloth and I was correct.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
You can shine a black light on the cloth and there will be a code imprinted. Send that code to Simonis and they'll tell you what cloth it is. Had to learn this when I suspected my installer gave me the wrong cloth and I was correct.

Where is this code imprinted?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O.K. so what I'm taking away from this is that basically, if you're the type of person that finds 860 to give you pause or just don't like it, that Andy is most likely better for you. Also, if you're that same person, the Simonis 760 and Hainsworth "Match" cloth are both better options than the Andy (almost definitively).

I too would like to know the actual percentage by which Andy is cheaper at non-promo price.

P.S. That Hainsworth Match cloth is crazy expensive, and the "Match" variant isn't even the most expensive... "PRECISION" is !!

Last edited: