How do we all help improve the image of pocket billiards?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've tested the water the last year and heard all the negative "we can't do it because of blah, blah, blah" and I appreciate everyone's honest input.....Now I want to talk to You that believe IT CAN BE DONE and are more "solution oriented"....what deligence can we individually do to achieve our common goal: IMPROVING THE IMAGE AND POPULARITY OF POCKET BILLIARDS.....I believe it would benefit All of us in the Industry to join together for this common goal...Please be "solution oriented" What have you done or what would you be willing to do to help promote pool? I'm really not looking for ideas about what others could do....I want to know what YOU CAN DO or HAVE DONE in the past.

I am including a YouTube video of one of the positive public relations promotions done in the past Now that I'm back involved with Professional Pool full time I want to do More for the Game than before...much more..."THE GAME IS THE TEACHER" thanks in advance C J Wiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5ZV3sSc6g&feature=plcp

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I would take a hard look at the game plan that golf developed quite well with - the inclusion of a significant charity component. Not only can this do wonders image-wise, but also creates a volunteer force to get the word out, sell tickets etc., and provide paid attendance (supporters of the charity) at events, and maybe even attract sponsors who already are supporting those charities. Couple that with perhaps a trick shot exhibition, photo ops, meet and greets, pre-tournament reception etc.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Wow, good question. I think what would be the biggest and fastest help is that American pool needs a sympathetic media partner. Right now the coverage is mainly internet based, and while just about the entire world has a computer or an Ipad or smart phone or some of that type of electronic device I'm willing to be that a very small percentage of the
computer/electronic-owning population seeks out pool / billiards on the internet. Pool needs a good story and a major media outlet to report it.

I've read on this web site the idea of a reality show. I'm not a big fan of reality shows but looking at this objectively, a reality show would at least (probably) put it on prime time.

I think pool also needs a real, true "governing body." The organizations can maintain memberships and remain separate but they need to find a way to unite under one umbrella, not the BCA, not the APA, but maybe some Administration with some oversight authority and possibly a commissioner or someone in authority where the buck stops. The Federation of American Billiards (FBA)? or something like that.

The media partner doesn't need to be ESPN or NBC or anything so huge, but maybe an internet company that is looking to to mainstream into a cable channel, or one of the Euro channels that would like to establish an American presence.

And pool needs an identity, a recognizable face or faces, one that's not a gambler or hard drinker, A role model, one for the girls and guys, maybe it's own (I hate to say this...) maybe it's own Tim Tebow. Currently the most recognizable face is probably Jeanette Lee. A beautiful, strong lady, and seems to present a pleasant personality. But still, outside the billiard world, relatively unknown.

The pool community needs to unite and force it's way into the Olympic stage maybe as a team sport playing several different disciplines then singles in several disciplines, similar to the way gymnastics is presented. Getting a whole country in your corner would have to be the fastest way to improve the image and make a new generation of players run out to purchase their own cue.

The pros need to find a way to come together. A few years ago when there was the Tour (Pro Billiard Tour?) I don't know exactly what happened, but apparently some of the sponsorship fractured and so did the players. CJ, was Cuesports International an alternative organization that competed with the PBT? Much in same way the World Football League or the USFL did. Only in pool all the organizations died. I wish the pros, male and female would find a way to establish a playing organization that would also play under the FBA (or whatever you'd call it.

Lastly, for now, find a way to give Jean Balukus whatever she wants to re-enter the billiard world. I didn't see her much except on old film or You Tube, but from what I've seen and read, she seemed like one of the strongest examples of an excellent role model that pool ever had.

...and that's a start

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Simple. Put it in the schools as a competitive sport, grades 7-12, and promote collegiate national championships. Follow the soccer model. Also, have LEAGUE national championships (like baseball) in multiple categories...APA vs. BCA vs. VNEA etc. with one league emerging as "the" national champion and sell it to TV. Edit to add: also get rid of the liars, cheats, thieves and cons, which are things I personally don't do...for the betterment of the game and other things.

Last edited:

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cjssecrets4u2 said:
Please be "solution oriented"

The game would stand a better chance if the desperadoes (read: Danny Harriman, et al) maintain some level of dignity, rather than publicly whining like a welfare recipient who's benefit check is late. Show some professionalism for gawd's sake. That should help make the "game" more appealing to sponsors.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the men pro players should take a page from the past and the women's pro tour with a proper dress code for all televised events. Stop showing up in jeans, t shirts, and sandals. A professional look would be more appropriate and they would televise more events. I remember as a kid watching Wide World of Sports, Minnesota Fats against Willie Masconi. Both were dressed in button up shirts, slacks and dress shoes. If they can play like that, why can't we? P.S. No more sneakers.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Solution Oriented -

whining like a welfare recipient who's benefit check is late. Show some professionalism for gawd's sake.

This isn't a positive thread and if you want to talk about those things please do it elsewhere......I'm sure your opinions are beneficial, just not here.....thanks in advance for cooperating to help, not hurt pocket billiards.
CJ Wiley

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have to get a better public image like golf. Dress codes and standards of conduct used in all professional sports must be advanced. Fines and suspensions would be necessary from a governing body elected by the players themselves.

A players organization with a set of playing rules could be implemented internationally and a sponsored tour could result with companies seeing the larger audiences. A pro player should be making hundreds of thousands of shekels, not hundreds.

Best,
Mike

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get Rid of the Ugly Americans

CJ, Sorry but I believe we should not let Americans play.
Look at how the majority of non-americans behave in tournaments.
They behave and dress appropriately, except for Americans.

Now I love, America more than anyone, Semper Fidelis.
But, I'm not proud of how we act.

Yes there are a few good Americans like yourself.

I remember Francisco ran a 7 pack on you many moons ago.
You did not complain, sat up in your chair waiting your turn.
You got up and ran a 7 pack back at him.
I will never forget that, you were awesome.

Take Care and good luck on your endeavor to help this great game, Barney

Cass

Registered
CJ , I know it is tough now for room owners out there (I have been there) . I see promotions from what I call the (top down) like pro tournament promo , Billiard supply advertising , main forum AZB etc which is geared to people already hooked on our sport. All this is great. I feel if room owners are directed to promoting from what I call the( bottom up) which would create interest in there local areas , things may improve.
For instance advertising the sport in some media within 8-10 miles of your room location , Local cable TV , newspapers , Flyers , Radio, in effort to connect with people that may be interested in a different type recreation in a clean safe enjoyable venue. Keeping Pool as the main draw,not $1.00 beers,poker (i dont feel poker & pool are a good mix). Try to generate new business from Men,Women,singles,married,teens,kids with parents,couples.
If enough Billiard Rooms in any state set up adv programs in their 8=10 mile radius of their location it could cover a lot of ground for new customer contacts and promote the sport at the same time locally.
I know it may be challenging for room owners to create a advertising budget to do this but who knows , maybe Brunswick,Diamond or other room suppliers of any kind could coop advertise with qualified rooms.
Just a prelim thought. Thanks

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get rid of the gamblers, drinkers, sharkers, stealers.
Dress well**, conduct yourself in as a gentleman (or ladie).
Play a game more people identify with (14.1; 8-ball?)

As to minor rule changes on a per tournament bases:
A) winner of the rack breaks next rack
B) all ball fouls always
C) one long race to the end
D) no cleaning of the CB mid-rack
E) all breaks are legal*
F) a seated player leaving his seat inappropriately loses a turn

(*) you have to hit the rack legally and drive at least one ball to a rail. There is no need to require 4 balls make it to rails, no requirement for any number of balls to migrate uptable,...

(**) dressing well does not require a suit (as we live in a less formal culture these days), but it does require 'business casual' minimums.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tested the water the last year and heard all the negative "we can't do it because of blah, blah, blah" and I appreciate everyone's honest input.....Now I want to talk to You that believe IT CAN BE DONE and are more "solution oriented"....what deligence can we individually do to achieve our common goal: IMPROVING THE IMAGE AND POPULARITY OF POCKET BILLIARDS.....I believe it would benefit All of us in the Industry to join together for this common goal....Please be "solution oriented" What have you done or what would you be willing to do to help promote pool? I'm really not looking for ideas about what others could do....I want to know what YOU CAN DO or HAVE DONE in the past.

I am including a YouTube video of one of the positive public relations promotions done in the past Now that I'm back involved with Professional Pool full time I want to do More for the Game than before...much more..."THE GAME IS THE TEACHER" thanks in advance C J Wiley

What you are talking about would require a generational change probably not even in our lifetimes. Golf, Tennis and so on took decades to reach where they are. The game would have to become part of the public consciousness almost a subliminal presents that you don't really notice but always seems to be there.

The game would have to employ a public relations firm to get product placement and image improvement. For example, suppose a TV show like the Cosby Show" had a pool table in the house that the family was seen around. Not part of the story line, it is just there. Suppose a place like McDonald's had a pool table, or Motel six.

The pool table would have to become so common place you don't even notice them and everybody plays the game. Pool tables found in break rooms at businesses, factories, schools and so on. For real long term change I think this would have to be part of it. There is more to it then, "How can we get some schnook to dump money into a tournament for short term gain". Real change takes time, decades.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I see everyone skimmed over the part about "not looking for ideas what others can do, what can you [personally] do"...

I give a little instruction to beginners who seem to have an interest in learning, and I try to foster interest in little ways. I like to show people "practical trick shots" ...someone will ask about e.g. the magic rack and I show you can make a called shot on command with a tight rack. Or I'll drill in a jump shot. Or a 3 rail kick. I try to get them hooked, basically.

I try to support pool rooms and don't mind spending a few bucks even when there's no special. I ask people to treat equipment with respect and try to act with decency. I encourage the room owners to focus on equipment and try to encourage the serious players to come in, not just cater to the bangers and bar crowd.

To be honest, none of it is really specifically to help grow pool, I just like to see the game played properly by people who are enthusiastic about it.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
CJ,

I can throw some money and a bunch of classic tables and together you and I can open a chain of pool rooms and make a sh!t load of money selling liquor and beer. I have some really cool old tables. And I have (4) 10 foot Centennials. We could have a series of 10 foot events.

I've tested the water the last year and heard all the negative "we can't do it because of blah, blah, blah" and I appreciate everyone's honest input.....Now I want to talk to You that believe IT CAN BE DONE and are more "solution oriented"....what deligence can we individually do to achieve our common goal: IMPROVING THE IMAGE AND POPULARITY OF POCKET BILLIARDS.....I believe it would benefit All of us in the Industry to join together for this common goal....Please be "solution oriented" What have you done or what would you be willing to do to help promote pool? I'm really not looking for ideas about what others could do....I want to know what YOU CAN DO or HAVE DONE in the past.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I see everyone skimmed over the part about "not looking for ideas what others can do, what can you [personally] do"...

I give a little instruction to beginners who seem to have an interest in learning, and I try to foster interest in little ways. I like to show people "practical trick shots" ...someone will ask about e.g. the magic rack and I show you can make a called shot on command with a tight rack. Or I'll drill in a jump shot. Or a 3 rail kick. I try to get them hooked, basically.

I try to support pool rooms and don't mind spending a few bucks even when there's no special. I ask people to treat equipment with respect and try to act with decency. I encourage the room owners to focus on equipment and try to encourage the serious players to come in, not just cater to the bangers and bar crowd.
To be honest, none of it is really specifically to help grow pool, I just like to see the game played properly by people who are enthusiastic about it.

Yea, I guessed I missed it, or misunderstood. Individually? Almost nothing. I do my part every time I approach the table, I show sportsmanship, I don't drink at the table, I show respect for my opponent, the equipment and the facility, I play within the rules even when no one is looking, I can't imagine anyone asking me for help or advice but if asked I'll reply with what I can, and I'll always show respect for the ones that have been there before me, the ones that pioneered the game and made it what is and they kind of hold a place of reverence for me. But that's just me, alone I can do jack $h!t and it only might improve the image of the table I'm playing at (though some may disagree) for the time I'm playing. We would need to do this together and we'd all need to be committed. To get every pool player on the same page though regardless of affiliation or level of skill, I just don't see it happening. If it's going to start somewhere though, it might as well be here and now.

CJ, I'm a person of very modest means, I have a spouse and child and I work a M - F job that I really like. I play OK, no where near pro but a decent APA player. I have limited influence but I love and respect the game and I try to support it however I can. You're the pro, I, and I think we, all need your wisdom and guidance, what can I do? How can I help?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I didn't see that either with my response. He writes his post in such a odd way they become almost cryptic.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Follow the lead of other sports before us: have charity tournaments. Nothing has done more for the image of motorcycles than the Honda Ride for Pediatric Brain Tumor Research. Every sport has charity events, except pool.

So raise money for a local good cause (children's hospital, youth center, etc). The local good cause can point you in the direction of potential sponsors.

Most of all, invite the media to cover the semi-final and finals match. Pool offers some GREAT sports photography and film (remember they're not going to show the entire match; they're there to get a few visuals of things like the winning shot or other important shot). The reporter will want to do a 2 minute interview with the winner (or winning team captain) and with the honcho of the local good cause. Assign someone the responsibility of taking/answering all questions from the media...and make sure that person is always available and reliable.

You'll find that a funny thing happens: while the community feels better about the sport, the players feel even better about themselves and their sport. It kind of builds on itself.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Code of Conduct for Professional Players

CJ, Sorry but I believe we should not let Americans play.
Look at how the majority of non-americans behave in tournaments.
They behave and dress appropriately, except for Americans.

Now I love, America more than anyone, Semper Fidelis.
But, I'm not proud of how we act.

Yes there are a few good Americans like yourself.

I remember Francisco ran a 7 pack on you many moons ago.
You did not complain, sat up in your chair waiting your turn.
You got up and ran a 7 pack back at him.
I will never forget that, you were awesome.

Take Care and good luck on your endeavor to help this great game, Barney

Thanks Barney, you have some very valid points....However, I truly think the American players (I will use) can be managed. When I was running the Professional CueSports Association ALL the players were required to wear suit and tie and had a Code of Ethics/Conduct written into the guidelines...the consequences were simple - Conduct Yourself Accordingly, Dress Accordingly, or "your fired" (this was many years before "the donald" LoL).:thumbup:

I don't have any desire to follow in the footsteps of what's been tried in the past with Professional Pool Tours....I tried that once and didn't like the outcome because quite honestly there was staffing issues....The staff was TOO BIG and suffocated the profitability of the venture.....I have experience running multi-million dollar businesses and have had hundreds of employees though the years....the one thing you MUST be conscious of when running businesses of this magnitude is LABOR COST...you can never hire more people then you can pay because if you can't pay ALL your employees they will not show up on Monday morning....pool tournaments try to use 32, 64, or even 128 players when they can only pay 15-20% of them MORE then they spend.....no wonder this has never worked, not only do players not get paid for their work, but the "negative energy" created from the "disgruntled employees" makes the atmosphere almost unbearable....this effects the FANS, who indirectly are our Job Creators.

I will assure you of one thing...I will never hire more Players than I can pay a decent salary, with bonuses for great performance....This means starting out with a manageable "staff" that measure up to a high level of standards...and with a bright future, these Pros will want to follow our policies, procedures AND our Code of Conduct...I'm certain of that ;)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
10' Tables - The future of the Professionals?

CJ,

I can throw some money and a bunch of classic tables and together you and I can open a chain of pool rooms and make a sh!t load of money selling liquor and beer. I have some really cool old tables. And I have (4) 10 foot Centennials. We could have a series of 10 foot events.

I LIKE the way you think....the 10' Centennials are my favorite, and as you know had one in CJ's Billiard Palace for many years....I do think the direction of the pros MAY be the 10' tables....I'm a firm believer in giving us a platform to SHOWCASE our skills.....I used to give up 7/5 on the money and beat the ghost playing 10 BALL on the 5/10....I had SO many people tell me how much they loved to see Top Pros play on that table AND the locals loved it too...I'm open to a chain of pool rooms, I'm in the process of doing one here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex right now....feel free to private message me if anyone wants to get involved in the pool room biz.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a Formula to make Pool Strong - THE GAME IS THE TEACHER

Yea, I guessed I missed it, or misunderstood. Individually? Almost nothing. I do my part every time I approach the table, I show sportsmanship, I don't drink at the table, I show respect for my opponent, the equipment and the facility, I play within the rules even when no one is looking, I can't imagine anyone asking me for help or advice but if asked I'll reply with what I can, and I'll always show respect for the ones that have been there before me, the ones that pioneered the game and made it what is and they kind of hold a place of reverence for me. But that's just me, alone I can do jack $h!t and it only might improve the image of the table I'm playing at (though some may disagree) for the time I'm playing. We would need to do this together and we'd all need to be committed. To get every pool player on the same page though regardless of affiliation or level of skill, I just don't see it happening. If it's going to start somewhere though, it might as well be here and now.

CJ, I'm a person of very modest means, I have a spouse and child and I work a M - F job that I really like. I play OK, no where near pro but a decent APA player. I have limited influence but I love and respect the game and I try to support it however I can. You're the pro, I, and I think we, all need your wisdom and guidance, what can I do? How can I help?

You can do a lot these days.....we have an ability to reach a lot of people and do what's unprecedented in Pocket Billiards.....make a stand for the GAME....you are the GAME's agent, you can represent it and tell everyone what it's done for you and how much you enjoy it....how it's always been there when you needed entertainment or were bored....how it helped make you life long friends and how it helped your hand/eye coordination and how elderly people can still get this type of exercise and mental stimulation from playing it....You do what you feel you can and let me work out rest....I appreciate you getting involved so that we can ALL, once and FOR ALL make pool the "Master Game" that everyone can appreciate and find enjoyment playing - THE GAME IS THE TEACHER