Chia Ching Wu banned by APBU

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
Was reading the article on Pin Yi Ko Winning the Subic-Olongapo Open Pool Championship and came upon this interesting paragraph:

Fu, now ranked No. 1 in Chinese Taipei following the official ban on former double world champion Chia Ching Wu by the Asian Pocket Billiards Union (APBU), dictated the early pace of the match. He led 7-5, but the advantage was wiped out quickly by a spirited charge from his young compatriot.

How can something like this happen? I tried checking out the APBU website but found no information on the ban.

Any of our friends have any additional information on the ban?

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Wednesday 11 March 2009 issue of The Straits Times carried an article by Lin XinYi entitled as above. I am paraphrasing the article:

Apparently, the Taiwan Pool and Billiards Association (CTBA) is taking his desire to become a Singapore citizen seriously. CTBA president Tu Yung-hui told ST that: "We made it very clear in our discussion (last month) that if he is prepared to go to SIngapore, he has to be prepared to give up the privileges he has here."

Wu's decision to join Singapore last month prompted Tu to withdraqw him from an exhibition match in Guangzhou.

According to Tu, the association does not want to waste resources on Wu if his heart lay elsewhere.

It is unlikely that Wu will represent taiwan again, as CTBA has no intetion of calling him up for key tournaments like the World 9-ball Championships.

Wu currently holds an employment pass in Singapore and is here only as a sparring partner. CSS president Ronnie Chua declined to comment when asked about Wu becoming a Singapore citizen.

Wu faces tremendous presure from Taiwanese media and CTBA. Leaving Taiwan would mean him being banned from lucrative domestic tournaments where top players can win between S$22,250 and S$44,500 yearly.

He might also have to return the S$39,000 to the Taiwanese government - the incentive awarded when he won the World 9-ball and 8-ball Championships in 2005.

Tu maintained that Wu still has a future if he decides to hold on to his Taiwan passport: "No matter how slim that chance might be, I will still harbout hopes of welcoming him back."

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
He might also have to return the S$39,000 to the Taiwanese government - the incentive awarded when he won the World 9-ball and 8-ball Championships in 2005.

Would really like to know how they figure they have a legal right to do that. He won that championship 4 years ago playing under the Taiwanese flag, they got what they wanted, a world champion. How do they figure that the money they gave him for a task he completed is to be returned if Wu at any time in his life decides to move elsewhere?

A country attempting to strong arm a player like this, acting like they outright own him and get to call all the shots in his life. I would jump to Singapore in a heartbeat, better then being controlled to the degree he is in Taiwan.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The players should take it upon themselves to protect their rights. Somebody already
lost his life for their cause, it's time to stand up for themselves and band together...

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't understand what the APBU is banning him from? The APBU should not be banning any player from anything for merely going to represent another country. The Taiwan association of which Mr Tu is the head as well I believe should rightfully bar Wu from representing Taiwan if Wu doesn't participate in Taiwanese billiards to maintain his status there. Wu should be allowed to participate in Taiwan billiards as long as he is a Taiwanese and wants to play. If he gives up that right by becoming a Singaporean then it's his decision.

I don't think he should be punished simply for coaching the Singaporeans. I also don't think that Wu should or legally could be made to give back any bonus money UNLESS he signed some of agreement stating that he would always play for Taiwan.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't understand what the APBU is banning him from? The APBU should not be banning any player from anything for merely going to represent another country. The Taiwan association of which Mr Tu is the head as well I believe should rightfully bar Wu from representing Taiwan if Wu doesn't participate in Taiwanese billiards to maintain his status there. Wu should be allowed to participate in Taiwan billiards as long as he is a Taiwanese and wants to play. If he gives up that right by becoming a Singaporean then it's his decision.

I don't think he should be punished simply for coaching the Singaporeans. I also don't think that Wu should or legally could be made to give back any bonus money UNLESS he signed some of agreement stating that he would always play for Taiwan.

Celtic

Silver Member
It is the "Asian Pocket Billiards Union", and Singapore is a part of Asia and a part of that union according to players in their rankings and playing in the ranking events.

This seems to me nothing more then a very low and underhanded attempt to force Wu to remain and play for Taiwan or be removed from the APBU and being banned from it's events despite the fact that he will be living in a country that up to this point was considered a part of that Union. It is seriously wrong.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like another good move by one of the billiard world's governing bodies. Let's see, Alcano, Efren, Django, Orcullo, Kiamco, Alex, and Corteza all could not play in last years World Ten Ball Championship. Alex also got banned from a whole slew of other events. Now Wu, arguably the best pool player on Earth is also getting the ax. Maybe the "executives" of these various associations should forget about inviting any players to their events and just play themselves. Their families could come and cheer for them. That way they can keep it a cozy intimate gathering where they make all the rules and win all the money. ;)

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Looks like another good move by one of the billiard world's governing bodies. Let's see, Alcano, Efren, Django, Orcullo, Kiamco, Alex, and Corteza all could not play in last years World Ten Ball Championship. Alex also got banned from a whole slew of other events. Now Wu, arguably the best pool player on Earth is also getting the ax. Maybe the "executives" of these various associations should forget about inviting any players to their events and just play themselves. Their families could come and cheer for them. That way they can keep it a cozy intimate gathering where they make all the rules and win all the money. ;)

The governing bodies seem to forget that their players are the bread and butter of their livelihood. When I was a manager I basically told employees that I don't care what they did so long as the job got done in a timely fashion. I knew that if I made life difficult for them it would in turn make life difficult for me eventually. It amazes me as to how many managers don't seem to get this.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

To be fair the BMPAP players could have played in the World Ten Ball and they elected not to because the promoter would not satisfy their requirements. They were not barred from the event.

We do not know the full story here. I have to say that on behalf of Mr. Tu, the president of the APBU, that he has been a HUGE benefactor to pool in Taiwan and Asia. His income is not derived from his position and he has put a LOT of his own money into events like the World Championships.

Perhaps Wu stated that he wants to abdicate his Taiwanese citizenship and become Singaporean. In that case he should not be allowed to play in events that are Taiwanese only nor be chosen to represent Taiwan in international events. However IF Wu has only signaled his intent to do so but is still active in Taiwan Billiards and maintains a high rank then he should be accorded all privilege that his earned rank entails.

I think that there is probably an error in the reporting. The APBU cannot "ban" Wu from billiards in Taiwan. The Taiwan association can and I think that this is where the confusion lies. Since Singapore is a member of the APBU (I think) then if Wu becomes a Singaporean he would then be eligible to play in all APBU/WPA events by virtue of being appointed by the Singaporean billiard association.

Until we know more we shouldn't crucify Mr. Tu who is truly one of the better people in pool.

Jerry Forsyth

There are several complexities involved here, but there is a simple comparison that you can draw. Wu now finds himself in the same boat as Ronnie Wiseman. Wiseman has a Canadian passport (he is a Canadian citizen) but does not play in Canadian events. He only plays in American events.

So when the BCA gets invitations to send their players to international events, Ronnie cannot get invited. The USA can only send players who have USA passports. (If the US has enough slots they may offer one to the highest-ranked foreign player. Mika Immonen has had a solid lock on that slot for quite a while and is not likely to give it up soon.)

So Ronnie has no way to get invited to foreign competitions unless he gets a promoters slot or other 'wildcard'. Wu is now in the same boat. Once he left his country, he gave up his rankings points and now will not have a way to play in events that will give him ranking points he can use with a passport from Chinese Taipei. His only choice is to either go back to CT or to become a citizen of Singapore and get a passport from there.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several complexities involved here, but there is a simple comparison that you can draw. Wu now finds himself in the same boat as Ronnie Wiseman. Wiseman has a Canadian passport (he is a Canadian citizen) but does not play in Canadian events. He only plays in American events.

So when the BCA gets invitations to send their players to international events, Ronnie cannot get invited. The USA can only send players who have USA passports. (If the US has enough slots they may offer one to the highest-ranked foreign player. Mika Immonen has had a solid lock on that slot for quite a while and is not likely to give it up soon.)

So Ronnie has no way to get invited to foreign competitions unless he gets a promoters slot or other 'wildcard'. Wu is now in the same boat. Once he left his country, he gave up his rankings points and now will not have a way to play in events that will give him ranking points he can use with a passport from Chinese Taipei. His only choice is to either go back to CT or to become a citizen of Singapore and get a passport from there.

Pool politics at its finest, once again, raises its ugly head.

Jerry, I was corrected on this forum one time, I think by Bob Jewett, that the BCA represents all of North America, to include Canada. So wouldn't Ronnie Wiseman from Canada be represented by the BCA?

Does the BCA only represent America and not all of North America?

I'm not sure it really matters, but I just thought I would like to know, since I read on this forum that the BCA represents all of North America, to include Canada. Does Ronnie have to play in more Canadian events for the BCA to consider him as a Canadian representative, maybe ?

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards: Ex—team mates back world pool champion’s move to Singapore

Monday, April 20, 2009

SINGAPORE: Top Taiwan—born pool ace Wu Chia Ching’s recent decision to take up permanent residence status in Singapore caused an uproar in his homeland, incurring the ire of the Taiwan Pool and Billiards Association.

Nicknamed the "Little Genius" after becoming the youngest nine—ball world pool champion at 15 years and five months in 2005, Wu had expressed unhappiness over Taiwan’s treatment of top sportsmen, complaining about the lack of financial security.

He has a sympathiser in Taiwan’s two—time Asian Games nine—ball gold medallist Yang Ching Sun.

"Singapore respects and makes the effort to nurture its athletes. I think he made the right decision. It is good that Singapore does this," said Yang, 30, at an exhibition match at Raffles City Shopping Centre on Sunday to promote the upcoming 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung.

"If you want to bring the best out of an athlete, there must be some form of safety net for him, or her. If there is some financial difficulty, it is difficult to go out and give everything to perform. You can’t blame the athlete."

The 20—year—old Wu received his blue identity card last month and it is believed Cuesports Singapore had offered him a monthly salary of NT$50,000/nearly US$1,500/S$2,220.

The national sports association will also bear his travelling expenses for overseas competitions.

Taiwanese players don’t receive a monthly salary or have their travel expenses covered.

Wu, the current world No 7, will not be able to compete for Singapore at major competitions like the SEA Games and the Asian Games because under rules set by the Olympic Council of Asia, athletes cannot play for another country until three years after switching citizenship.

Confusion reigns over his eligibility for the upcoming World Championships and other ranking events sanctioned by the World Pool—Billiard Association.

The dates for the world championship have not been confirmed.

Cuesports Singapore say their newest recruit should be allowed to compete, but Taiwan officials argue that the rules prohibit him from doing so because he is only a permanent resident.

Taiwan’s current women’s No. 1 Cherrie Chang, who was also present at Sunday’s event, said: "It’s his decision to play for Singapore and I can only wish him all the best."

Also present at the event were top local players Bernard Tey and Charlene Chai.

Meanwhile, Yang, who is regarded as a future world champion, is looking forward to competing at the World Games, which will be held in his hometown of Kaohsiung from July 16—26.

Regarded as the biggest multi—sport event after the Olympics, the World Games features sports that are not on the Olympic roster.

This year’s Games, the eighth since its inception in 1981 in Santa Clara, California, will feature about 5,000 athletes from nearly 100 countries in 30 sports, including bowling, billiards, sumo wrestling, wushu and dragon boating.

"This Games is extra special for me because it will be in my hometown, which is extra incentive for me to make it a hat—trick of titles for Taiwan in pool," said Yang.

Singapore will take part in bowling, tchoukball, wushu and wakeboarding, where No. 1 female wakeboarder Sasha Christian will take centre stage.

LINK: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20090419/tap-519-billiards-ex-team-mates-back-wor-231650b.html

Jerry Forsyth

JAM,

More complexities. The Canadians have their own federation, the CBSA. Like the BCA, but it is a part of the North American Federation to the WPA. Yes, Canada gets slots for the world competitions and they send players who have Canadian passports. But Ronnie does not play in their events, so he does not get invited.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe it is good to have rules and regulations in the world of sports, and governing bodies to enforce them. BUT, I also think it is the "exception" that proves the rule. In this case, as far as the sport of pool/billiards is concerned young Mr. Wu should definitely be an exceptional case and his circumstance handled appropriately. Instead this appears to be a case of an attempt being made to punish him for taking up residence outside his home country. I have one thing to say about this. BOOOOOOO!!!

How many professional golfers from all over the world now make their residence in the United States? Are they still allowed to play for Europe in the Ryder Cup? YES! How many professional hockey players live here and play in the NHL for American teams? Are they still allowed to play for their home countries (primarily Canada and Russia) in the Olympics? YES! How many European basketball players live here and play in the NBA? Are they still allowed to play for their home countries in the Olympics? YES! Same situation applies to football/soccer. Same thing applies to tennis, with many top players living in the United States and still competing for their home countries in the Davis Cup. In most major women's pro sports the same situation occurs over and over again.

Have I made my point? I hope so. The sport of pool needs to get their collective heads out of the dark ages and realize that these great players are doing their best to make a living at a low paying sport. That is why they MUST move around to find any lucrative scenario where this is possible. Take a look at how many top European players reside in the USA right now. Does Matchroom ban them from the Mosconi Cup? I think not. Because they understand what is going on here and have made a decision to field the best possible teams for this illustrious competition.

I say let Mr. Wu live where he wants and do not put him in a situation where he is "forced" to give up his CT citizenship.

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a different point of view.

I wonder what would happen if the develop countries tries to take a short cut of gaining recognition in the sports by simply buying out other countries talent whom they have taken time and money and effort to nurture. Instead of trying to develop their own?

What would happen in that develop country when their players there feels that they can be replace at any day with foreign imports?

I think it would be detrimental to the development of the game of pool.

Also taking up citizenship and taking up residence is totally different things. I can understand that being young, if given the lure of money and opportunity it is really hard to turn down.

Maybe representative for any tournament for any country should just be made up of people who are actually from that country! Else soon you will start see Chinese athletes representing a dozen other country all over the world in all different sports under different flags. Isn't that a corruption to the spirit of sportsmanship? That has already been happening in the Olympics.

charly

Registered
WOw! such shortsightedness. Thank God i am not a professional billiard player. Means to say that I will never be able to negotiate a good deal for myself because if I do, I will be banned. YAK! Billiards will never get to be at par with Golf, Tennis and other sports. Another death knell for Billiards!

Best solution, let's forget about APBU, WPA. Their just a hindrance to the sport of billiards.

Celtic

Silver Member
I have a different point of view.

I wonder what would happen if the develop countries tries to take a short cut of gaining recognition in the sports by simply buying out other countries talent whom they have taken time and money and effort to nurture. Instead of trying to develop their own?

What would happen in that develop country when their players there feels that they can be replace at any day with foreign imports?

I think it would be detrimental to the development of the game of pool.

It sounds like alot of major sports where players are paid huge amounts of money.

Basically if this happend the players would end up benefitting from the competition and offers from other countries for the stars of this sport. Countries would have to give incentives to the players for them to stay and play for that flag, with monthly stipends, health care, covering their travel and costs for events, ect... Which is in effect exactly what Singapore does, and what Taiwan does NOT do.

What you are putting out there as some kind of bad thing is in actuality exactly what this sport needs to move forward, the players need support and security just like any other professional sports star needs. Otherwise the bulk of the people with talent in this game will go do something else because the risks and lack of securuty in being a professional pool player are far to steep. A person like John Schmidt should have the support of a governing body of pool in America, they should send him a monthly salary to play under their banner and play for the USA and they should send him to events all across the world to attempt to win titles for America, while marketing him to the people of the USA as one of their own players. John Schmidt to the people of the USA should be akin to the Red Wings to the people of Detroit. If you start to actually get the players to be recognized as playing for specific geographical locations and have countries supporting those players that do that this sport will see a remarkable increase in public interest and a dramatic increase in the participation of this sport at both the amature and pro ranks alike.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Why does Raya need to insert the Wu ban line? WHY OH WHY???

Your guess is as good as mine and it ain't any good.