So the Bonus Ball saga continues.....

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the WPBL announcement:
The World Professional Billiard League’s 2013 season will continue to remain on hiatus during the next few weeks. At present, an exact restart date of the Las Vegas based league has yet to be announced.

During the last few weeks, the WPBL has worked tirelessly to rectify the unforeseen circumstances which have interrupted the league’s 2013 season. The management will continue to make the WPBL players a priority in every business decision made. With that said, it was discussed that a possible restart date of August 1, 2013 may have been plausible. However, in order to align the additional finances as well as strengthen the business model, the WPBL will need to remain on hiatus for the time being.

The WPBL players have continued their solidaric show of support during the stoppage of the season, and understand the importance of the league as it relates to the future of their careers as well as the billiards industry as a whole. Chicago Rocket’s Captain Rodney Morris had this to say: “I really love playing the game of Bonus Ball. I am looking forward to starting up again. After my recent US Open win, I’m anxious to continue the momentum.”

As the management works to resume the season, the staff have also continued to work industriously compiling a collection of the league’s “Top 10 Moments from Weeks 1-6” for the fans enjoyment. This 13 minute video can be viewed on the WPBL’s YouTube channel at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3kXHF2UyFE&feature=c4overview&list=UUTPxeIH9z3GqcuyjFgjhfGq

On behalf of the WPBL players, staff and management, we would like to thank the fans and cue sport industry for their overwhelming words of encouragement for our continued success. Finally, it is our intention to keep everyone abreast of any new developments regarding the restart of the WPBL’s 2013 season as soon as that information becomes available.​
It's amazing that BB expects the players to hang around indefinitely. If the players were smart, they should cash in their 1K checks and move on with their lives.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The World Professional Billiard League’s 2013 season will continue to remain on hiatus during the next few weeks. At present, an exact restart date of the Las Vegas based league has yet to be announced.

During the last few weeks, the WPBL has worked tirelessly to rectify the unforeseen circumstances which have interrupted the league’s 2013 season.

If the players were smart, they should cash in their 1K checks and move on with their lives.​

Unforseen circumstances...what fantasy world are they living in?

I will answer meeself: a world where there is no cushion to a budget, or even a sufficient budget to execute the 'plan'.

Reminds me of the restaurant that opened up right near me, it was a deli and they had 2 choices for subs, turkey and ham...with your choice of cheese, american or not.

Guy handed me a menu-it was full of items, like what one would expect from a deli- and he tells me 'as we grow we will start sell all those things'.

YEah...good luck with the 'growth'.

"The sammich is the teacher."​

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I will answer meeself: a world where there is no cushion to a budget, or even a sufficient budget to execute the 'plan'.

Reminds me of the restaurant that opened up right near me, it was a deli and they had 2 choices for subs, turkey and ham...with your choice of cheese, american or not.

Guy handed me a menu-it was full of items, like what one would expect from a deli- and he tells me 'as we grow we will start sell all those things'.

"The sammich is the teacher."

Best menu ever from My Cousin Vinny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTLxgk14JE

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Talk about slow learners.

One of the first major mistakes they made was announcing a concrete start date before they
had all their ducks in a row, back when the stadium was being built.

So after taking a mountain of shit for that, what do they do? Announce a concrete return date
even though (Surprise!) they didn't have all their ducks in a row.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

During the last few weeks, the WPBL has worked tirelessly to rectify the unforeseen circumstances which have interrupted the league’s 2013 season. The management will continue to make the WPBL players a priority in every business decision made. With that said, it was discussed that a possible restart date of August 1, 2013 may have been plausible. However, in order to align the additional finances as well as strengthen the business model, the WPBL will need to remain on hiatus for the time being.

The WPBL players have continued their solidaric show of support during the stoppage of the season, and understand the importance of the league as it relates to the future of their careers as well as the billiards industry as a whole. Chicago Rocket’s Captain Rodney Morris had this to say: “I really love playing the game of Bonus Ball. I am looking forward to starting up again. After my recent US Open win, I’m anxious to continue the momentum.”

As the management works to resume the season, the staff have also continued to work industriously compiling a collection of the league’s “Top 10 Moments from Weeks 1-6” for the fans enjoyment. This 13 minute video can be viewed on the WPBL’s YouTube channel at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3kXHF2UyFE&feature=c4overview&list=UUTPxeIH9z3GqcuyjFgjhfGq

On behalf of the WPBL players, staff and management, we would like to thank the fans and cue sport industry for their overwhelming words of encouragement for our continued success. Finally, it is our intention to keep everyone abreast of any new developments regarding the restart of the WPBL’s 2013 season as soon as that information becomes available.​
It's amazing that BB expects the players to hang around indefinitely. If the players were smart, they should cash in their 1K checks and move on with their lives.

It is not hard to see the writing on the wall. At this point they can't even meet the minimum obligation of paying staff. What are the "unforeseen circumstances", a bad business plan, a product they can't sell? They are not even confident enough to put a good spin on the situation. They sound completely unable to figure out what to do to. They have a sinking ship and they are bailing but it is still going down.

What I really hate is the "Carrot and stick" situation the players find themselves in. How long will they be played along. I have a feeling behind the scenes the players know what is really happening but have to remain hopeful. They can't make any kind of negative statements for fear of hurting the project more and create a "Self fulfilling prophesy".

Sorry to say they may never see all the money they are currently owed much less future money as the tent folds. Anyone ever work for a company that was going under? As they post on the front door "Closed for remolding" they are moving the furniture out the back door. I remember once working for a restaurant when I was a kid. We came to work on Friday to find the place locked up. They actually worked us the whole week right up to the time they had to pay before closing. No one ever saw their last paycheck. When it comes to money they always look out for #1.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'd only watched a couple of matches before but I just watched the link to the Top 10 that BB put out & it made me realize all that I had missed. It is good marketing exposure.

I really enjoyed watching the guys shoot & make the shots that the 3 pocket set up makes them shoot.

There has been a lot of negativity & mostly ALL well deserved. But...I really hope that they can somehow get it together & resurrect BB mostly for the players sake, then for the fans, then for the games, & if all that is done properly the owners/investors will probably reap some reward.

Mount Everest is a tall mountain, but someone climbed it. I hope 'they' can climb this one but it appears taller than Mt. Everest.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHoa!! What a surprise!!! Never saw that one coming!!

What about the Phoenix????????????????????

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd only watched a couple of matches before but I just watched the link to the Top 10 that BB put out & it made me realize all that I had missed. It is good marketing exposure.

I really enjoyed watching the guys shoot & make the shots that the 3 pocket set up makes them shoot.

There has been a lot of negativity & mostly ALL well deserved. But...I really hope that they can somehow get it together & resurrect BB mostly for the players sake, then for the fans, then for the games, & if all that is done properly the owners/investors will probably reap some reward.

Mount Everest is a tall mountain, but someone climbed it. I hope 'they' can climb this one but it appears taller than Mt. Everest.

Care to venture an opinion/ theory/ guess regarding the income of blown-us ball? Where does the money come from?

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
No cheese ?

"The sammich is the teacher."

The beloved cheese shop sketch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJhq9eq_eJg

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Disclosure !

Care to venture an opinion/ theory/ guess regarding the income of blown-us ball? Where does the money come from?

not that it's OUR money, but at this point, it's time for Disclosure - at least to the Players & employees - but we as paid/potential customers, too.

this moretoreum of 3.5wks - indefinitely, is a MASSIVE downtime expense @ $50K/wk. if the Players had had an iron-clad contract, and the payroll were in Trust & BONDED, then the Players would have already been gone @ 1st late check @ June.

i think BBall is trying to put them up against a wall.
and sometimes, you just have to cut your losses & go on....

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I for one hope BB is done under current management. Why?

Because all they have done is lie.

~ Numerous missed dates. Many of them they KNEW they would miss yet let players make travel arrangements anyway.

~ "We are funded for two seasons"

~ "The investors expect to take a loss in season one" (Turns out they were right)

~ "10,000 viewers crashed the servers"

~ First they were going to wire the money. Then they were going to pass out checks on Friday. Then Monday. Now the check is in the mail. For only a portion of what is owed.

~ A message was sent to players that BB was suspended indefinitely last week. Yet they wait until two days before the announced start date to do a public release. What if fans who came for Nationals decided to stick around for BB ? Just another example of terrible management and not caring about anyone else. I doubt this is due to malice but is just a result of simple ignorance and incompetence.

I'm sure this will be confused as me being "against the players" as it always seems to be but it is not. I am against people jerking players around and stiffing them. Its wrong. It also hurts everyone in the industry when things get this screwed up. Makes everyone look bad.

Unless BB is taken over by a responsible management group it needs to die.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

If you are asking about the income, the only place it can come from other than a deal like television for the NFL, is paying customers.

How does new business get paying customers? It markets itself in someway. That is what that Top 10 link was, a form of marketing.

Like John Barton suggested, IF, & that is a huge word, someone or group with deep pockets is willing to take a gamble on the concept & 'invest' knowing full well that they could lose their investment & the investment is sufficient enough to market & advertise in order to get paying customers, they might see a return on their investment in 2 or 3 years. If it succeeds then the investment can maybe grow into something really big if all of the pieces fall into place.

Imagine the teams travelling to each city to play in an auditorium or small basket ball arena, or civic center. Imagine each team being owned individually.

Do you think the NFL started out with domed stadiums with huge parking lots & expensive concessions & a television contract? Do you think the PGA always had million dollar 1st. prize money & there always was a Golf Channel?

I know this is more than a bit far fetched. But...with right person or people...who knows?

Now when John was saying what he was saying I said it would not make good business sense to simply invest money into a failing operation. There would need to be some Major changes & they would probably need to be at the core level. But IF, & there is that huge word again, some deep pockets with the know how wants to take a gamble...who knows.

I'm just hopeful for all involved that it does not wind up being a total loss, but that is more than certainly possible. Especially since the business, owners, management, is probably getting ready to lose their only real asset, the players.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I for one hope BB is done under current management. Why?

Because all they have done is lie.

~ Numerous missed dates. Many of them they KNEW they would miss yet let players make travel arrangements anyway.

~ "We are funded for two seasons"

~ "The investors expect to take a loss in season one" (Turns out they were right)

~ "10,000 viewers crashed the servers"

~ First they were going to wire the money. Then they were going to pass out checks on Friday. Then Monday. Now the check is in the mail. For only a portion of what is owed.

~ A message was sent to players that BB was suspended indefinitely last week. Yet they wait until two days before the announced start date to do a public release. What if fans who came for Nationals decided to stick around for BB ? Just another example of terrible management and not caring about anyone else. I doubt this is due to malice but is just a result of simple ignorance and incompetence.

I'm sure this will be confused as me being "against the players" as it always seems to be but it is not. I am against people jerking players around and stiffing them. Its wrong. It also hurts everyone in the industry when things get this screwed up. Makes everyone look bad.

Unless BB is taken over by a responsible management group it needs to die.

You missed the national Canada TV contract. :)

If there were investors, I wonder if Larry and his crew will be sued for negligence for what they did or did not do with the invested money. Will the $300K cameras be sold to pay all debts?

I wonder if the ABP, when this is over, will sue on behalf of the players for wages owed. (if you think that Larry and his crew will be living homeless on the streets after this, you are really in the dark).

One player told me that by the time BB starts back up - if that ever happens - , he will have to be taught all the rules again because he has almost already forgotten them all.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
JCIN,amen! Wake up players.No matter how much you try,you can't ride a dead horse!

An Indian on foot was once tracking a guy riding a horse. The horse dropped on the guy so he left him. The Indian walked up on the horse, got him up, rode him for 10 more mile til the horse dropped again & died. The Indian ate the horse(part of the horse) for diner that night & caught up with the man he was tracking before noon the next day.

The Indian might say, a horse ain't dead until you can eat it. Or... the Opera is not over til the Fat Lady sings. Or... as Yogi often said, "It ain't over til it's over.'

But... if I were a BB player I would be looking for my next meal ticket.

Regards & Best Wishes,
Rick

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I was seriously considering a trip to Vegas in good part to see Bonus Ball. But due to all the warning signs, I decided not to go. Had I come to the great no show, would my reimbursement check be in the mail too? :mad:

But, all us fans are insignificant. This is beyond insulting to all involved or interested. Just wait until a scorned player or employee FULLY opens up and discloses the depth of deceit & incompetence.

I've tried to remain positive for BB, and I know startups always have hiccups, but at least they could of handed out tubes of KY by now.

Anyone smell a lawsuit in the future?