Custom tapping a Revo

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had a cue with a kevlar insert in the shaft (Zylr) and I had a uniloc Revo shaft: would it be possible to drill out the uniloc part of the Revo and remove the Kevlar insert from the Zylr shaft and insert the kevlar insert from the Zylr into the Revo shaft?

Maybe a better question than "would it be possible" is - are there any cue makers out there who feel reasonably confident in trying something like this?

As far as cost and liability, I would provide both shafts with no expectations - fully understanding that both shafts might be destroyed. I would also compensate the cue maker for their time and effort regardless of outcome.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If I had a cue with a kevlar insert in the shaft (Zylr) and I had a uniloc Revo shaft: would it be possible to drill out the uniloc part of the Revo and remove the Kevlar insert from the Zylr shaft and insert the kevlar insert from the Zylr into the Revo shaft?

Maybe a better question than "would it be possible" is - are there any cue makers out there who feel reasonably confident in trying something like this?

As far as cost and liability, I would provide both shafts with no expectations - fully understanding that both shafts might be destroyed. I would also compensate the cue maker for their time and effort regardless of outcome.

I have not completed one yet but have a revo in my shop that I am changing the threads on. After a full inspection I see no reason why (other than voiding any warranty) that one can not drill out and epoxy a phenolic plug in the end and do the necessary task to change the threading.
Kevlar....not sure about. I'm just going to use a piece of black solid linen based phenolic rod to complete the job.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see - so you basically drill it out and then plug it - turning it back into a blank - and then re-tap it to whatever pin size you want?

Maybe that is the way to go rather than messing around with the Kevlar in the existing shaft.

Thanks for the reply

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Wow...didn't realize these shafts have been around that long.
Thought it was one of those new gimmicks that was all the rage :-}

I should probably get out of the shop more often than just the grocery store.
That's what purchasing everything on line has done to me.:cool:

How in the .............did I miss all the fun in that last thread!

I really need to start paying closer attention. :(

Last edited:

td1223

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out Sickles Custom Cues he does these conversions and you can see pictures on his facebook page

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can plug any composite cue shaft with wood or phenolic, and insert any joint you want. The only part is to be careful with how you hold the shaft, so as you do not crack or micro fracture the composite. So don't put any high loads as you cut/drill etc. I make tapered collets that match the taper of the shaft, and support at both ends. You can live tool or bore/tap or you can make a threaded insert and put that in. Any high strength epoxy that is not brittle will hold the wood or phenolic plug in the shaft. With wood, I like to use as close a grain wood I can find. There is nothing too mystical about composites .
Neil

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
revo

I can easily make a revo quick relase fit a 5/16,18 or 14,if anyone is interested.i don't get on hear often,but pm me and I will get back as soon as I see the message.ill do them for $25 plus shipping both ways,depending on the cues,in some cases they will still work on both the quick releases and the 5/16 cues.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can easily make a revo quick relase fit a 5/16,18 or 14,if anyone is interested.i don't get on hear often,but pm me and I will get back as soon as I see the message.ill do them for $25 plus shipping both ways,depending on the cues,in some cases they will still work on both the quick releases and the 5/16 cues.

forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=467507
Why pm. C'mon in the water's fine!

Last edited:

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like this will not be as difficult to arrange as I originally thought it might.

The most challenging part now is finding a Revo shaft for a reasonable price. There is one on Amazon right now for $900! :eek:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've done several, as long as your carefull with clamping preassure, have a dedicated tapered Delrin or Teflon collet and dont generate too much heat when drilling and boring out, it shouldbe fine.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m going to be doing a Revo joint change to 5/16-14. Opinions on using a brass insert vs live tapping into the phenolic. What do you think?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m going to be doing a Revo joint change to 5/16-14. Opinions on using a brass insert vs live tapping into the phenolic. What do you think?

That`s a personal prefrence thing I guess. Joss threads into phenolic and has done so for years, I have never actually seen a Joss shaft with stripped threads.
I prefer the 7/16-20 brass inserts myself and think that if I where to use another method, I would go with Garolite. It`s hard on drills and taps, but the threads come out looking great.

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member

what thread is the Zylr? No biggie if not one of the"crazy" threads