Okay, how so you count rings?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Probably get flamed for this, but I really have no idea how to count rings on a shaft.
Has there ever been a good how to on this site, hopefully with photos?

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
Not sure what you are looking for. To age the tree it came from you need a cross-section of the trunk.

If you are looking for wood density, you can weight the shaft, compared to shafts with
the same joint hardware and length. Or look for a tighter grain.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Count the number of grain lines you can see. If you see ten grain lines at a point that is .5". Then you have a shaft with 20 growth rings per inch.

Larry

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Not sure what you are looking for. To age the tree it came from you need a cross-section of the trunk.

If you are looking for wood density, you can weight the shaft, compared to shafts with
the same joint hardware and length. Or look for a tighter grain.

That explains my difficulty. I'm able to count rings on a stump, but on a cue's shaft when there is no end on view? Still confused.

K code? What's a grain line?

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Well, I do it this way:

I start with "1" for the first ring, then for each additional ring I add another "1", so it goes like this 1,2,3...and so forth.

Hope this helps. :p

Buster Jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuemakers will count the rings on the pre-doweled blank. Usually a 1" x 1" x 30" squares.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Cuemakers will count the rings on the pre-doweled blank. Usually a 1" x 1" x 30" squares.

Thanks. So getting a ring count on a finished shaft is just an educated guess?

JC

Coos Cues
Thanks. So getting a ring count on a finished shaft is just an educated guess?

You can often see it on the joint end. Measure across inside the collar and extrapolate to one inch.

DSC3467.jpg

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably get flamed for this, but I really have no idea how to count rings on a shaft.
Has there ever been a good how to on this site, hopefully with photos?

I imagine you have been dealing with Jim for many many years, as one table mechanic at my house a few years ago said, "Jim is the most honest man in the business."

Ask Jim and he will explain it to you, I have wanted to take the time to make video on the subject, maybe it's time.

The best pic was from JC and its a very good illustration, follow those lines to the ferrule, if you can.

IF you can't see the lines, it's well over 30 grains and to tight to count, don't blame yourself, Thank yourself, you chose wisely.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Many thanks guys. As near as I can determine, Keith Josey uses good shaft wood.

Wish I'd known of you both when I bought the cue. I like to shop locally. But, not really a collector here. Just wanted a nice playing cue. Think I got what I wanted.

And yes...Jim, owner of the cue ball in Salem, is a man to be respected for his honesty. Like me, a bit of a crusty old bastid, but he's really a nice guy. The fact he's been in biz as long as he has speaks well for him.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Only the ones that will make it in the final turn.
Often, I run into shaft stock that have a high concentration of rings which I refer to as the bad guys. They don't run end to end and must be cut off b/c they are just pushing the good guys. The good guys are the ones who run end to end .