Who do you think won the showdown at the close of TCOM?

Who wins at the end of TCOM?

• Vince

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • Eddie

Votes: 61 51.7%

• Total voters

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I picked Eddie but Wince was no slouch. I think that Eddie had the bigger heart and a never say die attitude. Eddie knows what it means to be a winner!! He knows more than Vince would ever know or feel. I love them both but I favor Eddie due to his story in the Hustler.

I think that in the Hustler he died a little on the inside when Burt took Sarah away from him. It ruined his spirit and love for pool until Vincent came into his life. I think Vince ignited his fight and fire that was just a smolding coal on the verge of going out. That feeling coming back out of Eddie was not only magical but spiritual. Its tough to fade a man of faith especially in himself.

All in all I love that the poll is 50/50 and this is a wonderful thread... Subscribing :)

Last edited:

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
It's tied up. Vince and Eddie should have a tag popin contest at the local thrift shop to determine winner.:D

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow almost 50/50 thats perfect numbers for a sequel , they got that part right sadly they didnt follow up:(

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...This exact story was on Cold Case late last night! LOL Only difference is the guy wasn't named Vincent...and the 'girl' shot him in the back, when he wanted to leave the road, after beating the best (Baltimore Red) out of $40K. She stole his BR after shooting him too! Nice gal...LOL!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

One day, Vincent met a lady who, for whatever reason, took a liking to his disheveled self. The only thing he had were the clothes on his back, didn't even own a pool cue. The two of them united and went on the road. The lady gave up her career to pursue his on the tournament trail but soon found out there was no money to be made in pool. Being a tournament soldier was quite different than the excitement of being a road player.

The two of them disappeared from the pool scene, and then...[still searching for an ending]. :thumbup:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Vincent got beat and never recovered. Fast Eddie ditched the old broad. Vincent lost the girl, who left town with Fast Eddie.

Thereafter, Vincent developed a substance abuse problem. He couldn't get a job because pool was all he knew. He ended up hanging out in Atlantic City, sleeping in flower pots. Eventually, Vincent became a dancing monkey for all to marvel at. When he performed on a field of green, he was everybody's hero, but he could never get ahead, couldn't make no money, and continued to roam the boardwalk, looking for crumbs anyone would throw his way.

One day, Vincent met a lady who, for whatever reason, took a liking to his disheveled self. The only thing he had were the clothes on his back, didn't even own a pool cue. The two of them united and went on the road. The lady gave up her career to pursue his on the tournament trail but soon found out there was no money to be made in pool. Being a tournament soldier was quite different than the excitement of being a road player.

The two of them disappeared from the pool scene, and then...[still searching for an ending]. :thumbup:

Wow, that's what happened to Vincent? That's funny, because I heard something very similar to this also happened to Grady Seasons. Except in Grady's case I understand the lady was particularly fetching and he even did some acting, even had a part in a Scorsese film that won Paul Newman an Oscar. :D

I don't know about Vincent, but I sure hope Grady Seasons does a sequel.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey with all this commenting on TCOM......AND...JAM our favorite insider on the same subject.....I said SUB-JICT....you know memory things.....and electro-shock....but that was just for the experience!

JAM....are we allowed to ask for a story about on set antics during the shoot?

G.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was $18K (which would probably be $100k today)...but who's counting! LOL

Scott Lee

minnesota fats was the grady seasons of the hustler, and eddie tortured him to death!
First to the tune of over 10 grand (before he fell hard into the bottle)...
later he got fats to say "I quit, I can't beat you eddie." .

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vince wins at pool, BUT, while he running out, Eddie takes the 2 girls/caddy/money and high tails it down the road. so in essence, Eddie wins. :D

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's true that in life many things go unresolved. But in the pool world they usually are. Unless, of course, the players can't agree on the weight, the rules, or what rack to use. :lmao:

Except in movies about pool - where everybody agrees about the game,
but no one can guess about the winner.

Dale

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
In the version of the sequel I have worked on, off and on, for the last 2 years Vince won that one... It wasn't the last time they matched up for sure..... I may watch the Hustler and TCOM and see if I can't get thru another 20-30 pages....

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey with all this commenting on TCOM......AND...JAM our favorite insider on the same subject.....I said SUB-JICT....you know memory things.....and electro-shock....but that was just for the experience!

JAM....are we allowed to ask for a story about on set antics during the shoot?

G.

There were some happenings on the set as well as a little professional rivalry, I think. Keith wouldn't let Mike Sigel on his set when he was shooting. Not sure why, but I think Keith wanted to do his shots his way with no interference from Mike.

Sadly, this was Paul Newman's first Oscar for acting in his role of Fast Eddie in TCOM, and he did not make it to the Academy Awards.

Some said that Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonia was not well liked by some fellow cast members, and Keith said she didn't look very pretty without her makeup on. Well, I think that could be said about a lot of ladies. :embarrassed2:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's what happened to Vincent? That's funny, because I heard something very similar to this also happened to Grady Seasons. Except in Grady's case I understand the lady was particularly fetching and even did some acting, even had a part in a Scorsese film that won Paul Newman an Oscar. :D

I don't know about Vincent, but I sure hope Grady Seasons does a sequel.:thumbup:

Grady Seasons is thinking about making a cameo appearance as a neighborhood pool room very soon, but it will be sans the lady. :grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...This exact story was on Cold Case late last night! LOL Only difference is the guy wasn't named Vincent...and the 'girl' shot him in the back, when he wanted to leave the road, after beating the best (Baltimore Red) out of $40K. She stole his BR after shooting him too! Nice gal...LOL!

Scott Lee

Reminds me of a pool room in, I think it was, Morrisville, Tennessee. The owner played every pool champion who came to town if they would give him a huge handicap. He would go off for five figures each time in front of the hometown crowd. I guess he just liked the action. Every road player knew of this guy. He was a good catch if you could get him down.

Eventually, he went bust, and his wife shot him to death a la the song "Frankie and Johnnie."

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Vince wins the 18 dimes, then loses it in poker 10 minutes later...Eddie has to loan him $200 to get home.:rolleyes:

If it followed the book, Eddie would have been playing Grady; (Fats died eating a ham sandwich in his hotel room, so Eddie never got to beat him in the end on his comeback)...Eddie beats Grady for a tournament win, but apart from the personal satisfaction he's still in the same life he was before he restarted his pool career. Living out of a suitcase and washing up in public restrooms.

That's what I love about the Tevis books...pool's pretty important to Eddie, but there isn't a romantic triumph in the end of either book...he's kind of stuck in the same life, without much in terms of prospects, having abandoned all pursuits (carreer, girl friend, later a wife, business/pool room, etc.) to play pool. In both books he gives up everything chasing his obsession, beats the best player in the world in 1962 and then the next generation's best player in the 1980s; both books end up with him in triumph, but asks the questions "now what?" Roll credits...

Sorry, I'm in a dark mood today...

Last edited: