Ash?

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search yielded nothing so I'll ask.

Why are snooker cues ash? Having a furniture background tells me that ash is much more difficult to polish than hard maple.

I'm sure there is a good reason.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The UK climate favors ash, not maple.....
There are disadvantages to ash cues, but when players are raised on them, it becomes
the thing you know.
I dislike like the open grain, but I was raised on maple, which hits similar to ash.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The UK climate favors ash, not maple.....
There are disadvantages to ash cues, but when players are raised on them, it becomes
the thing you know.
I dislike like the open grain, but I was raised on maple, which hits similar to ash.

The UK cues are made from American white ash. Ash is somewhat stiffer than maple.

Dale

speedbilliards

speedbilliards
Search yielded nothing so I'll ask.

Why are snooker cues ash? Having a furniture background tells me that ash is much more difficult to polish than hard maple.

I'm sure there is a good reason.

the density of ash is bigger than maple. so maple shaft is thicker, but snooker ball is smaller than pool, maple shaft is not easy to control balls. And the good outside grain is a standard to choose ash shaft cue

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought several ash shafts from Shadowmoss here on az

John Nemic made me a cue with the ash shaft and I play better with it than any cue I have
ever played with

It is stiff but not hard,it provides a constant play and i draw the ball better than I usually did

I prefer stiff and control as i only play one pocket,but when I warm up with 9 ball practice
I think it plays better and i move the ball easily

I am not a real good player and don't use a lot of english or side because i miss

also it is not as slick feeling as maple,but i am rough on cues

overall,i would buy a shaft or two with ash if i were serious about my playing

John Nemic in Dallas has some ash,makes good shafts for other cues quick
and inexpensively

he is everglade on az and 214 577 8759

he is hard to reach sometimes

Shadowmoss has the best ash shaft wood in the world
I dont know if he sells in lots of less than 25,but itf you value your game enough to experiment with $500 for a project that might improve your game,contact these guys

As a side,I think it is better to experiment for yourself rather than take the opinion of others here on AZ or anywhere else.Opinions vary and the more scientific they sound,the worse they have worked for me

no offense

Dean