Greatest cue makers

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still, you bought a good playing cue for $30...used it for forty years and sold it for $300. That's a very sweet deal in my book. YMMV

I would have been satisfied if I had gotten forty years of use out of it and never had gotten another penny out of it. I would have gotten W-A-A-A-Y more use out of that $30 than I would have ever anticipated.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. :cool:

Maniac

Yes, of course! Any purchase at reasonable existing market dollars that one can get usage for 30 years or more is absolutely a great VALUE proposition- just not classified as an investment , where you sell it at a later date for much greater present value dollars.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think Murray Tucker cues will hold their value if not appreciate.

He didn't make a great number of cues and he isn't making any now.

They have a following and are hard to come by.

Tucker Cue Works motto: “Harder to get than a Searing

Saw a very nice one today, looked great.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a very big difference between inflationary increase in the price of an item as time passes and price increases due to DEMAND for and PERCEIVED value of an item. So a $30 Viking cue from 1980 you may sell for $300 today - that is inflationary cost increase - because if $300 today can only generally buy what cost $30 in 1980 then the cue you bought for $30 in 1980 did not appreciate in dollar value. When you sell the $30 cue today for $300, you still have only $30 of 1980 buying power in your hands!
Certain custom cue makers over the past 30 years have had actual market prices increase much faster and higher than inflation adjusted rates, and much higher than some of their fellow custom cue makers. How to predict if ANY custom cue that you buy TODAY, will appreciate above normal inflation rates, in true sellable market value ; is impossible to predict, but fun to discuss, as this post suggests!

Very good point.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only been into customs for about 4 years. I know many of you have been for a lot longer. For cue makers like Balabushka, Szamboti, Scruggs, Gina Cues, Rambow, Spain. Did people know these were going to be as big and popular now back then? And if so, how do we know who the next group of people are?

The cue that hits the best. The rest is nothing but fluff.

horse man

Registered
HI it is always hard to know who is the next big thing in cues but ima i think Gina Tonkin Sering Black Bore are the new cue makers on the top of the hill today like so many before them there will be a new groop in 10 or 15 years takes a long time to really be a break out cue maker and every one starts to take notice of there work ima.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Owen.......He’s way more talented than the. 90% of the cue-makers you’d ever consider or heard of.
Yup, Bob ranks in the top 10% of cue-making because of his wood crafting skills, meticulous eye and most
importantly, reliability. He provides incredibly close communications & updates and he delivers on time.

Mr.Owen, if you read this, I have another design in mind but I need your guidance and advice finishing the
final design. This would be a theme cue embodying a Knights Templar design I’ve had in mind for awhile.

Matt B.

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
I love the Meucci cues JR 3, MS 3, the Olympian MS 5 and the Crown Jewel, JR 7.

Not to forget the cue named 21st Century Cue #3

Bob Meucci is for me "The man" :grin:

Last edited:

rrom33

How true !!. I an not a very good player, but I have taught a few that are quite good now. Basics Center Ball !, follow, draw. Geometry, Physics, Diamonds System. Practice. I am another Cue Maker you have never heard about, "Romaine" Custom Made to order One of a kind. I know of another one, who owns Balabushka's equipment. The name was sold to Brunswick, ran into a kid in pool hall that announced he had a Balabushka , sorry kid that's a Brunswick. One of my Cues made the front cover, along with 4 others, of a Texas Cue Mag.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How true !!. I an not a very good player, but I have taught a few that are quite good now. Basics Center Ball !, follow, draw. Geometry, Physics, Diamonds System. Practice. I am another Cue Maker you have never heard about, "Romaine" Custom Made to order One of a kind. I know of another one, who owns Balabushka's equipment. The name was sold to Brunswick, ran into a kid in pool hall that announced he had a Balabushka , sorry kid that's a Brunswick. One of my Cues made the front cover, along with 4 others, of a Texas Cue Mag.

That Buska was made by Adam, not Brunswick....George’s widow gets a fee for everyone sold.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Mid-way through page 5 and we've got a list of around twenty "greatest cue makers". :eek:

Problem is....no way to factually narrow it down. :sorry:

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jerry Rauenzahn should be added to this list...Dean mentioned him in another thread.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Mid-way through page 5 and we've got a list of around twenty "greatest cue makers". :eek:

Problem is....no way to factually narrow it down. :sorry:

Maniac

Yeah, a number of them are as mediocre as it gets.

People have "their" makers and it blinds them

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Meucci is a great custom cue maker, he has revolutionized the pool technology and ways of building cues

chainsaw

Registered
I Don't know why just don't know why/ People A&E (Artistic Engineering) has been making custom cue for years. A long while. They look magnificent and the play balls out.. I guess part of the great unknown. How in the heck are these two guys not on the list . Their cues are truly impeccable. Would appreciate feed back.

midnightmark

Registered
There are many wonderful "Modern Day" cue makers. Here's mine.

DPK, Searing, M.Bender, SOUTHWEST, Black Boar, HERCEK, J. Showman, Manzino, Barenbrugge, HALEY

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Tim Scruggs SP back in the early 80’s I bought it to shoot with because I liked how it hit. I didn’t buy it for any other reason. I would say this go to local pool halls in your area and see if there is somebody new making cues and then check them out.