Wrapless cues

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do cuemakers charge more for a wrapless cue and if so why?

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I build a wrapless cue I just give it away. There’s no sense in charging when nobody really wants to pay for anything anyway.

Left out the word "more" in my post. The reason I asked is because of something I saw on the main forum where someone indicated a certain cuemaker charged extra for a wrapless cue. I figured it would be the opposite but since I know next to nothing about making a cue I figured this would be the place to ask.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Do cuemakers charge more for a wrapless cue and if so why?

Because most want expensive exotics for handle .
And it requires more finish work to have a wrapless.
Linen wrap over maple is much cheaper and less work.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey perfectly explained the situation and the need for a higher charge for wrapless.

No one ever asks for straight grain maple as wrapless material.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've mentioned it in the past - you can almost make the feature wood for a short splice or inlay wrap cue out of the scraps & cut-offs from a full splice wrapless.

It takes about a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 24" long piece of pretty clear, defect free wood for the butt of a FS wrapless = $$$. & there is some risk machining it. Depending how you like your points, it could be a little shorter or even a little longer. Now, take the pieces (more or less) that are cut out from the points, and they will just about serve to make an inlay cue. Just need another short chunk for the butt sleeve.

+ lots less risk of anything blowing up.

smt

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because most want expensive exotics for handle .
And it requires more finish work to have a wrapless.
Linen wrap over maple is much cheaper and less work.

Thank you, Joey.

I was expecting an answer something like that and you confirmed it.

Aloha