GC 1 questions

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
So, when I bought my CG1 it was originally a ball return table. However, by the time it came to me someone converted it to drop pockets. It still came with the original ball gullies and return box. Santa brought me some ball return pockets for Christmas, so last night I decided to convert it back. After tear down and reassembly I have a few questions:

1. My blue aprons are a complete PITA to get back into their channels. Are there any tricks to make that easier?

2. Because of the problem with the aprons I had to remove the white skirts to make it easier. Now with the ball gullies installed, the skirts were another nightmare to reattach to the aprons. Any tricks to that?

3. The ball return box is attached to the frame using 4 brackets. The smaller "L" shaped brackets on the back of the box are nowhere near the frame. Did the table originally have extension blocks added to make those work; should I just add some blocks of wood and attache through to the frame?

Any help is most appreciated; thank you in advance.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So, when I bought my CG1 it was originally a ball return table. However, by the time it came to me someone converted it to drop pockets. It still came with the original ball gullies and return box. Santa brought me some ball return pockets for Christmas, so last night I decided to convert it back. After tear down and reassembly I have a few questions:

1. My blue aprons are a complete PITA to get back into their channels. Are there any tricks to make that easier?

2. Because of the problem with the aprons I had to remove the white skirts to make it easier. Now with the ball gullies installed, the skirts were another nightmare to reattach to the aprons. Any tricks to that?

3. The ball return box is attached to the frame using 4 brackets. The smaller "L" shaped brackets on the back of the box are nowhere near the frame. Did the table originally have extension blocks added to make those work; should I just add some blocks of wood and attache through to the frame?

Any help is most appreciated; thank you in advance.

RKC or someone else is gonna have to chime in for most of this. I hope you are not trying to do this on your own. That, IMO is mistake #1. I have only installed ONE table that has the "skirts" that cover the ball return and it was a PIA like you mentioned!

Good luck

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I can look at my GC1 about your ball box questions but not until tomorrow night if you still need an answer. The plastic gulley covers are just a PIA and you gotta deal with it. I had my wife help with the screws, her hands are much smaller and that helps.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I can look at my GC1 about your ball box questions but not until tomorrow night if you still need an answer. The plastic gulley covers are just a PIA and you gotta deal with it. I had my wife help with the screws, her hands are much smaller and that helps.

please, if you don't mind. I had to have my son help me - he's ten.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you still need help with this?

Trent has posted an installation manual on the site: search for posts by him with "free" in the title. If I can find a link I'll post it.

I have a ball-return GCI with skirts. I can take some pics of the ball box or anything else you need - let me know.

BTW, what type of gullies have you? Are they wire-frame, or other?

jv

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Do you still need help with this?

Trent has posted an installation manual on the site: search for posts by him with "free" in the title. If I can find a link I'll post it.

I have a ball-return GCI with skirts. I can take some pics of the ball box or anything else you need - let me know.

BTW, what type of gullies have you? Are they wire-frame, or other?

jv

Thanks, JV, yes I still need some help.

I'll do a search as well, but if you happen to find the link I'd take it. I won't be able to look until after work.

I'd like a picture of how your ball box is attached to your table frame, please.

My gullies are "wire-frame". One set for each side.

Josh

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a couple of pics. Let me know if you need other views. You can see that my small bracket, on the outside, is screwed directly to the frame. I moved them to a new hole, 'cause I didn't like how they were sitting, but I ended up splitting the wood. I plan on removing it, gluing the split, and putting it back the way it was. Also, the table was missing the aluminum trim for the ball box opening, but I've since bought that part from classic billiards.

2020-01-10%2010.22.21.jpg

2020-01-10%2010.21.47.jpg

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Here are a couple of pics. Let me know if you need other views. You can see that my small bracket, on the outside, is screwed directly to the frame. I moved them to a new hole, 'cause I didn't like how they were sitting, but I ended up splitting the wood. I plan on removing it, gluing the split, and putting it back the way it was. Also, the table was missing the aluminum trim for the ball box opening, but I've since bought that part from classic billiards.

2020-01-10%2010.22.21.jpg

2020-01-10%2010.21.47.jpg

Jviss, it seems you are missing the trim for ball return box. If you would like one, I have extras! $10 plus shipping.

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
please, if you don't mind. I had to have my son help me - he's ten.

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, normally when there is a new reply the thread title turns dark green so you can tell there is a new post to read, that did not happen here for me till today. It looks like you should have what you need, if you dont it looks like we will be trapped by a snow storm most of the weekend so I will check back.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jviss, it seems you are missing the trim for ball return box. If you would like one, I have extras! $10 plus shipping.

TFT

Gee, thanks Trent! I wish I had known to ask you. I bought that part six months ago, for a lot more than $10! But thanks anyway.

jv

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Gee, thanks Trent! I wish I had known to ask you. I bought that part six months ago, for a lot more than $10! But thanks anyway.

jv

I have quite a few parts laying around these days. I hate the idea of parting out tables, but, it makes more sense than buying them from the one an pretty much only source out there. When I first started, the idea of parting out a table never crossed my mind. Now I have parted out Sport Kings, GCs, 2- Anniversary's and 1-Centennial. I saved soooo much money by doing that and I also will buy tables in not so great of shape just for parts. Nothing wrong with having extra slates, castings and other parts for restorations and to sell/ trade.

TFT

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Thank you JV and TFT for all your help so far.

TFT, it appears the ball box info is on pg. 16 of the install guide, but the guide you posted stops at pg. 14.

Here are the pictures of my boll box where you can see the gap with which I'm dealing:

20200110_132335.jpg

20200110_132401.jpg

20200110_132405.jpg

Those are all the original brackets - both inside the box and on the back in their original locations. So the gap has me wondering. Might just have to move them; I just like to know why.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like that box was cut, and the angle brackets were moved to the back. On mine, and in the manual, the angle brackets are on the sides of the drop box.

Here's mine (I'm working on the table today):

2020-01-10%2013.50.45.jpg

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thank you JV and TFT for all your help so far.

TFT, it appears the ball box info is on pg. 16 of the install guide, but the guide you posted stops at pg. 14.

Here are the pictures of my boll box where you can see the gap with which I'm dealing:

Those are all the original brackets - both inside the box and on the back in their original locations. So the gap has me wondering. Might just have to move them; I just like to know why.

I just re checked the file, no other pages. I got it online and do not have a hard copy. It looks like there might have been some blocks of wood there. I would go that route. You got this!

TFT

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like you might be able to screw a scrap of a 2x4 to the bottom of the frame, and then screw the brackets to that.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What gets me is that every one of you GC1, 2 owners fail to see that you can't line the side pocket up with the pocket shelf! Every GC1, 2 I've ever worked on required drilling out the bolt holes to get them on center with the actual rail bolts....or you have NO play in order to line the rails up with the pocket shelfs.

Measure out where the bolt holes are suppose to be and every one of you will find out what I'm talking about...LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Head and foot slates, measure left and right, find center, 28 1/2" from both sides is dead center, and should pass through the center rail bolt hole. Then measure left and right 18" and using a square, draw out both of those center lines, they should pass through the center of those bolt holes as well.

Now comes the problem. For the side rail bolt holes, find the center of the side pocket, 53 1/2" from both ends. Use a square to line up on that line, then measure 6" left and right from that line, the new lines should pass through the centers of the 2 rail bolt holes closest to the side pocket. Now comes the.screw up. From the center line in them first side pocket rail bolt holes, measuring 18" on center, using a square, place a line through the next w bolt holes in both left and right directions....and right there you'll SEE why you can't line the side rails up with the side pocket....LOL

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Head and foot slates, measure left and right, find center, 28 1/2" from both sides is dead center, and should pass through the center rail bolt hole. Then measure left and right 18" and using a square, draw out both of those center lines, they should pass through the center of those bolt holes as well.

Now comes the problem. For the side rail bolt holes, find the center of the side pocket, 53 1/2" from both ends. Use a square to line up on that line, then measure 6" left and right from that line, the new lines should pass through the centers of the 2 rail bolt holes closest to the side pocket. Now comes the.screw up. From the center line in them first side pocket rail bolt holes, measuring 18" on center, using a square, place a line through the next w bolt holes in both left and right directions....and right there you'll SEE why you can't line the side rails up with the side pocket....LOL

I really appreciate the information, Glenn. And, the next time I tear dow for a recloth I'll do exactly as you instructed. However, it has nothing to do with my question regarding the ball box.