Stupid pool question of the day

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean...You should probably stick to commenting about things you know about. You have no knowledge of good instructions (even though the top instructor in the country lives in your backyard.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

pooey on the indian,it's the arrow
pay no heed to such nonsense
How else could you expect top improve?
Pactice?ugh,lessons? advice?Never workHaven't you always heard"you get what you pay for"

PROOF<EVIDENCE READ ON BROTHER READ ON

i once had a high dollar game and my trusty cue let me down

there were unkind kibitsers who said i dogged my brains out

i sold that cue that played so bad under pressure adjusted the game and won with my new cue
clear evidence that an expensive cues helps under pressure

then there was the time a fella took one of my beautiful expensive cues to the
up beat pool room.,he pulled this $5000 cue out of a fully tooled Rusty Melton case

This one particularly attractive young lady was so enamored with the cue/case combo that she struck up a conversation with the fella who had the beautiful cue

HOLY MATRIMONY and then

one thing led to another and they are now expecting their third male child. i have already been told to get Rusty to tool special cases and i have a beautiful Larry vigus cue ordered for Junior

never believe what you hear about expensive cues,how else would Barry have put Jimmy,Kristenand Little barry through school?

Give yourself a chance to succeed by buying an expensive cue today.!!!

Don't be stingy,don't be tight
buy expensive
and shoot outof sight

by anonymous

Pangit

Banned
44465-thumb.jpg

Hot ones question, who "invented" the most singularly important piece of pool playing kit that every "player" must have? Think about it.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Dean

Dean...You should probably stick to commenting about things you know about. You have no knowledge of good instructions (even though the top instructor in the country lives in your backyard.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour[/QUOT

I guess he set you straight Deano.
Jack
I

Pangit

Banned
For a wannabe good pool player, how is my money best spent? Three options.

1. Buying all the latest pool playing gadgets. :nono:

2. Hire an "Instructor" to teach you how to play pool. :scratchhead:

3. "Practice" with better players than you are. :thumbup:

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I think that wrap preference is a big deal -- many love wrapless, some will only do leather, others like Irish linen (whether smooth/double-pressed or more grippy).

In my opinion, the balance point and overall weight distribution of the cue might be one of the least talked about, but most important factors in how we favor certain cues.

Never used to wear a glove, as I would wash my hands and use the talc cone if needed. But there were a few times where it was so humid, my hands wouldn't stop sweating, so had to resort to a glove. Lately, I've been throwing a glove whenever I start to feel it -- but you can see why some wear gloves all of the time...consistent feel.

For under $300 you can get a custom Schmelke, or several G-core shaft McDermotts and traditional maple, Lucasi has a great selection, as well as the Players/Pure X cues.

Pangit

Banned
Trivia Question, and it's a tough one. NO Cheats!

Which popular pool "instructor" did Efren Reyes "hire" to "teach" him how to play pool?

1. Scott Lee
2. Randy G.
3. CJ Wiley

That touch of that inside stuff really works, unless you like to use outside spin and run the cue ball around the table. I can vouch for that. :thumbup:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Do expensive cues and fancy shafts, gloves, and all that other stuff make you play better at the end of the day?

In retrospect, I should have tried to steal a good house cue somewhere, invest my money in good tips, talcum powder...and just roll with it.

A big question.

A guy I know bought a carbon fiber shaft and is playing the best pool of his life.

Its less squirt properties and its consistent play helped his game.

So in part yes some of the low deflection technology reduces the amount of allowances you have to make enough that some people connect with the game better.

I went LD over a year ago and I'm still amazed at the allowances I need to make on some shots with the LD. Had I been using the regular maple 13mm Ivory ferrule
shaft the allowance might have been twice what I was making.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trivia Question, and it's a tough one. NO Cheats!

Which popular pool "instructor" did Efren Reyes "hire" to "teach" him how to play pool?

1. Scott Lee
2. Randy G.
3. CJ Wiley

That touch of that inside stuff really works, unless you like to use outside spin and run the cue ball around the table. I can vouch for that. :thumbup:
4. Freddie'The Beard'. ;)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do expensive cues and fancy shafts, gloves, and all that other stuff make you play better at the end of the day?

In retrospect, I should have tried to steal a good house cue somewhere, invest my money in good tips, talcum powder...and just roll with it.

Reality about whether certain things help you play better pool.....

Expensive cue: no, except for a placebo effect

Fancy shaft: yes, helps with consistency

Glove: yes, helps keep a consistently smooth stroke regardless of humidty or sweat.

None of this stuff "makes" you play better, but it does provide you with some consistent elements, which can lead to playing more consistently.

Practice makes you play better.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Expensive cues:
You may be more confident with a pretty sword (that cuts like any other), you may like the convenience of quick release, you may like being able to add a butt extension, you may like being able to adjust the weight bolts...but no, it won’t help your aim or patterns.

Fancy shafts:
I don’t believe a shaft will impart action on the cueball to any meaningful degree that your arm wasn’t already capable of delivering. CF might be nice for consistency, ding protection, and warp proofing. Low deflection takes getting used to but could improve your ball pocketing percentages on specific sidespin shots by a marginal increase (my opinion).

Gloves:
If you’re ever in a humid environment and you hands and cue feel sticky, the glove will improve your stroke by helping you get out of your head and not thinking about the awkward way the cue is rubbing across your finger fat.

Practice:
Of course this is 100,000x more important than anything else. I assume that’s your point of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This first response to the OP is as good (or better) than anything else that followed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
pooey on the indian,it's the arrow
pay no heed to such nonsense
How else could you expect top improve?
Pactice?ugh,lessons? advice?Never workHaven't you always heard"you get what you pay for"

PROOF<EVIDENCE READ ON BROTHER READ ON

i once had a high dollar game and my trusty cue let me down

there were unkind kibitsers who said i dogged my brains out

i sold that cue that played so bad under pressure adjusted the game and won with my new cue
clear evidence that an expensive cues helps under pressure

then there was the time a fella took one of my beautiful expensive cues to the
up beat pool room.,he pulled this $5000 cue out of a fully tooled Rusty Melton case

This one particularly attractive young lady was so enamored with the cue/case combo that she struck up a conversation with the fella who had the beautiful cue

HOLY MATRIMONY and then

one thing led to another and they are now expecting their third male child. i have already been told to get Rusty to tool special cases and i have a beautiful Larry vigus cue ordered for Junior

never believe what you hear about expensive cues,how else would Barry have put Jimmy,Kristenand Little barry through school?

Give yourself a chance to succeed by buying an expensive cue today.!!!

Don't be stingy,don't be tight
buy expensive
and shoot outof sight

by anonymous

Spoken by a man who has more arrows in his quiver than anyone else, totally unfair! :D

I will only add:
Buy more cues until you get it right,
Toss the other ones clear out of sight.
When you find a cue you really like,
Offer to raise the bet and give it a hike!
If it fails you throw it away,
You'll find a better one the very next day.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spoken by a man who has more arrows in his quiver than anyone else, totally unfair! :D

I will only add:
Buy more cues until you get it right,
Toss the other ones clear out of sight.
When you find a cue you really like,
Offer to raise the bet and give it a hike!
If it fails you throw it away,
You'll find a better one the very next day.
That was pretty good.

Buzzard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In retrospect, I should have tried to steal a good house cue somewhere, invest my money in good tips, talcum powder...and just roll with it. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I remember back when a regular could put a house cue that he liked behind the desk. It was always smooth as a custom from sanding. Wonder if that still happens?