Is there a way to estimate your APA skill level

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to get involved in the APA here in a few weeks and I was wondering if there was a way for me to estimate what my skill level is. I have read some drills online however in a game like 9 I am a rather defensive player and those drills don't take defense into account.

On other run out drills I tend to fall under a lower skill lever than I know and others say I should be. So what is the most accurate way to predict what your skill level will be in the APA?

Thanks

AF

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you will start out a 4 and depending on the people you play and how well you do will determin where you are at. who cares where you start? just strive to get to the next level. :thumbup:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I am going to get involved in the APA here in a few weeks and I was wondering if there was a way for me to estimate what my skill level is. I have read some drills online however in a game like 9 I am a rather defensive player and those drills don't take defense into account.

On other run out drills I tend to fall under a lower skill lever than I know and others say I should be. So what is the most accurate way to predict what your skill level will be in the APA?

Thanks

AF

You like everyone else will start as 4 in 8 ball or 9 ball. Where you go from there will be determined by how well you play ( Games Won ) and the number of inning at the table it takes to win those games.

Good luck and my prediction is you will have fun!!!:smile:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You like everyone else will start as 4 in 8 ball or 9 ball. Where you go from there will be determined by how well you play ( Games Won ) and the number of inning at the table it takes to win those games.

Good luck and my prediction is you will have fun!!!:smile:

Like I tell any new players that join my team.... Lose your first match. Everyone games the system in the APA and if you are in it to compete at the national level eventually its the only way you can compete.

If your in it just for fun and you cant see yourself ever playing it for anything other than fun... try and win all you can whenever you can.

Luck1st

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA.. The only League where you want to Lose on purpose?????
I will never understand that one. Why not get in a League where you PLAY TO WIN?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Like I tell any new players that join my team.... Lose your first match. Everyone games the system in the APA and if you are in it to compete at the national level eventually its the only way you can compete.

If your in it just for fun and you cant see yourself ever playing it for anything other than fun... try and win all you can whenever you can.

No, everyone DOESN'T "game the system."

And we don't just play for fun, either. I may not win, but I didn't cheat to get there.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never understand that one. Why not get in a League where you PLAY TO WIN?

Welcome to the wonders of the Equalizer system...

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, everyone DOESN'T "game the system."

And we don't just play for fun, either. I may not win, but I didn't cheat to get there.

Alright let me clarify..... Most game the system but there may be some honest people out there.

The reality is that about 2% of people ever make it to Vegas and of that 2% I'm willing to bet at least 75% is ranked at a lower handicap than they should be.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All areas are not equal

When I played in the APA for one season, it was at a new room with an in-house leaque. No traveling, everyone played at that hall. It was a very weak and small league, so most decent players quickly became overrated. 6 teams, so you played the same people over and over. Now here in SW Florida, I feel most of these players would be at least 1.5 to 2 skill levels higher in my old league. The skill levels are not always comparable between leagues. It ain't all sandbagging.

Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I played in the APA for one season, it was at a new room with an in-house leaque. No traveling, everyone played at that hall. It was a very weak and small league, so most decent players quickly became overrated. 6 teams, so you played the same people over and over. Now here in SW Florida, I feel most of these players would be at least 1.5 to 2 skill levels higher in my old league. The skill levels are not always comparable between leagues. It ain't all sandbagging.

Hence the reason I'm saying that in order to be competitive at the national level you need to be one of those rating below your actual skill.

The APA system is broken and doesn't account for many things.

Lets take for example the fact that innings are counted into your SL....

Efren Reyes and Bustamante play a match. They each play 50 safeties on eachother. The game has 100+ innings. According to the APA that would mean that they partially suck.

The APA formula is based off of quality of opponent, innings, and win percentage among a few other 'top secret' stats. But the reality is that there is such a large disparrage between a 4 in Ohio and a 4 in Rhode Island that it lends itself to an unfair advantage for sandbaggers.

Sorry to derail your thread btw...

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
The system is broken because of people like you, who tell tbeir players to lose.

Anything else is merely justifying why you cheat.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The system is broken because of people like you, who tell tbeir players to lose.

Anything else is merely justifying why you cheat.

I see your in denial... The system is broken because the APA has outgrown what it can handle. There is no way to police the system because there is no national standard for handicaps. The handicaps are all set by the local League Operator. This makes for inconsistencies literally across the board.

As such I really see no reason to not sandbag in the league. Personally I want to see some of the money I throw away each week.

Call it cheating if you want but I can absolutely guarantee what I said before.

Only 2% of APA members ever make it to Vegas. Of that 2% AT LEAST 75% of them are sandbagging.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Thanks

AF

Okay, getting back to the OP's question.........

AF, If I were you and you wanted to know in advance about where you are gonna eventually fall skill level-wise in an APA league, I would go up to the poolhall/bar on league night and watch a nights worth of matches. Find a player or two that shoots around your speed (preferably ones that have been in the APA for awhile), and ask what his/her skill level is. Say for instance you see a couple of players that shoot about like you do, if one of them is a SL6 and one of them is a SL5, then you know you're probably gonna fall right into that ranking somewhere down the road.

Maniac

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
As long as Efren and Bustamante don't p*ss off the league director, both can stay in the 8-ball league as SL7. Maybe SL9 if they both play APA 9-ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your in denial... The system is broken because the APA has outgrown what it can handle. There is no way to police the system because there is no national standard for handicaps. The handicaps are all set by the local League Operator. This makes for inconsistencies literally across the board.

As such I really see no reason to not sandbag in the league. Personally I want to see some of the money I throw away each week.

Call it cheating if you want but I can absolutely guarantee what I said before.

Only 2% of APA members ever make it to Vegas. Of that 2% AT LEAST 75% of them are sandbagging.

not sure if your 2% figure is correct but lets say it is. that 2% has to earn their way to vegas by beating the best in their area at their level. you just cant buy your way to the big show like you can in the bcapl.

their are people in every league that manipulate rules to their advantage.

people cheat at every thing . paying taxes , cheat on their ole ladies, time cards at work , yea at pool also. you want to fit in with that crowd ? more power to you.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member

This is true (except for the everybody part; there are straight up players everywhere just like the baggers, I like to think that it is mostly straight up and that “most” people are not sandbaggers) and a very sad truth it is it’s just the way the whole pool world works.

Sorry but you live in fantasy land there is no league APA, TAP, BCA or the like (other than perhaps an in house league or highly localized league) that has an absence of sandbaggers; and once you throw in handicaps and 1,000’s of dollars they will arrive in legions.

Now not all leagues are handicapped and if you find a league that isn’t that certainly lessens the problem but your crack at winning more than a few hundred dollars goes down with it. I am not a bagger but that’s all you can do; just don’t be a bagger yourself. There are avenues you can go down when faced with a bagger and the national leagues are getting more regulated and better at identifying and punishing baggers. It WILL get better with time; when you have the threat of disqualification that is certainly a deterrent to bagging and it’s happening more and more.

Ok on to the OP’s question. The chances of you being able to perform anywhere close to your ability are extremely slim, your Cinderella season will probably be an enormous disappointment to you, let alone your debut. The reason is that when we 1st enter the competitive environment our minds make our muscles react very differently than they do normally. Sometimes this is even true of money players; believe it or not.

The reason the tests don’t pan out is that you are more familiar with the games that you play than you are with the tests; so once you gain experience with the tests they will give you a more accurate assessment of our skill level.

I also have a theory about these handicaps and what they represent; the best way to serve this team (or any) is to get better period! Never loose sight of that simple fact. all these numbers and handicaps are smoke and mirrors to keep it interesting; dont falll under their spell; 2 years from now you will be a 5, 10 years from now you will be a 6 or 7, just let the handicaps wash over you like water off a duck; dont even pay attention to them.

So to sum it all up; you can’t test yourself, you won’t play as well as you can for a while and the handicap you have at this time isn’t important at all right now; in fact it’s smoke that is abscrureing your sight of what the battlefield actually looks like. Just play your best pool and don’t try to be better than anyone else other than yourself that is the key to sustained progress over a long period of time.
Good luck

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typical apa ... Lol lose your first match. I don't give a shit what my rating is. My goal is to destroy everyone I play. Period. if that raises me and and I have to play tougher matches then so be it. I play to compete and be pushed to get better not sand bag.

Btw I've only played 6 matches in apa 9 ball. You can come In at a 4 but know players can be brought in higher. I was brought in at a 7 and expect to end up an 8.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Nitpicking, squabbling over petty rules, cheating, bad scoring, sandbagging.

Its almost like memories of an abusive relationship.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
Nitpicking, squabbling over petty rules, cheating, bad scoring, sandbagging.

Its almost like memories of an abusive relationship.

And heaven forbid you pi$$ off the LO. You and any team you play on are screwed for the foreseeable future. The LO holds all the cards and the National Office is happy as long as the cash keeps flowing.

I can't tell you the number of times my players got raised heading into the semi-finals of Regionals, killing any chance of advancing. It can be fun, sorta like the roulette wheel at the carnival. :frown:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Any handicapped league is going to have a problem with sandbaggers. APA is not pro-sandbagging. Its the players who choose to do it.