Why isn't spalted maple used more in cues?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it because of the extra work involved in getting the wood to spalt, or is the wood not easy to work with after it becomes spalted? I saw a spalted cue recently and it looked pretty.

Thanks,
Al-St Louis

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
Spalted Maple is Rotten Wood

alstl said:
Is it because of the extra work involved in getting the wood to spalt, or is the wood not easy to work with after it becomes spalted? I saw a spalted cue recently and it looked pretty.

Thanks,
Al-St Louis

The reason Spalted wood is not used my most reputable cuemakers is that Spalted is just another word for "Rotten" wood. The wood comes from dead logs that has been eaten by enzymes and the spalt is just the enzyme's excrement they leave behind. In my opinion is is NOT ever suitable for cues or much of anything else for that matter.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnot Wadsworth said:
The reason Spalted wood is not used my most reputable cuemakers is that Spalted is just another word for "Rotten" wood. The wood comes from dead logs that has been eaten by enzymes and the spalt is just the enzyme's excrement they leave behind. In my opinion is is NOT ever suitable for cues or much of anything else for that matter.

If used at all it defiantly needs to be stabilized.

96supersport

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I've seen done

When I've seen it used by a reputable cuemaker, it has been resin impregnated and becomes very stable. This seems like the safe way to go because it is very soft and brittle as it is harvested.

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
96supersport said:
When I've seen it used by a reputable cuemaker, it has been resin impregnated and becomes very stable. This seems like the safe way to go because it is very soft and brittle as it is harvested.

I've used it for butt sleeves & inlays with no trouble...JER

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
As I understand it, the spalting comes from a bacteria, which causes the wood to begin to rot. The trick is to catch the wood before it's cellulose fibers begin to go soft....not always an easy thing to do.

I also found out the the birdseye effect that is so highly sought after, is actually caused by a worm/worms that live between the bark and the tree itself. It eats the wood in a circular or swirl pattern, and then the living tree grows into these swirls, filling them, and thus causing the birdseyes. He's got a maple burl clock he made, that is wall-to-wall birdseye...it's really amazing!

He has yet to find out just what it is that causes the fiddleback, tiger-stripe, or more commonly referred to, curly effect.

My husband used to work with maple and maple burls in the Oregon forests, and did research to find out what causes the different 'anomolies' in it.

Lisa

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
He has yet to find out just what it is that causes the fiddleback, tiger-stripe, or more commonly referred to, curly effect

The striping is supposedly caused by the tree bending/swaying from the strong winds.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
He has yet to find out just what it is that causes the fiddleback, tiger-stripe, or more commonly referred to, curly effect

The striping is supposedly caused by the tree bending/swaying from the strong winds.

Seriously?! That's pretty freakin' cool!!:cool:

Lisa

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
Spalted Wood

As long as we are talk'n bout spalted wood, I have a question. Sorry I can't post a pic as my puter crashed bout a month ago. I have an unwrapped Q with a spalted handle. The portion tween the butt sleeve and tiger/fiddle maple forearm. It gets a lot of attention wherever I go. :cool: I have even had pros ask about it, saying how beautiful it is. Some tell me it is spalted maple and others tell me it is spalted olive wood. :confused: Does olive wood become spalted? It is a fairly light/medium shade of brown with a hint of what I would consider olive color and it has a ton of beautiful swirling black markings. It has a very solid hit and I recently got a custom made Tiger X shaft with Sniper tip. Ebony butt sleeve and very long ebony points, both with ivory inlays. Sorry, no pics. Any thoughts or comments bout the spalting?:confused:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Subsonic2u said:
As long as we are talk'n bout spalted wood, I have a question. Sorry I can't post a pic as my puter crashed bout a month ago. I have an unwrapped Q with a spalted handle. The portion tween the butt sleeve and tiger/fiddle maple forearm. It gets a lot of attention wherever I go. :cool: I have even had pros ask about it, saying how beautiful it is. Some tell me it is spalted maple and others tell me it is spalted olive wood. :confused: Does olive wood become spalted? It is a fairly light/medium shade of brown with a hint of what I would consider olive color and it has a ton of beautiful swirling black markings. It has a very solid hit and I recently got a custom made Tiger X shaft with Sniper tip. Ebony butt sleeve and very long ebony points, both with ivory inlays. Sorry, no pics. Any thoughts or comments bout the spalting?:confused:
7645jfdhjfgdh.jpg

Prolly a cored olivewood.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
That is just the coolest looking wood!! Definitely one of the woods in my next cue! When ever that is....LOL!

Lisa

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnot Wadsworth said:

Lots of spalted woods are used in very high end basses and is very sought after. I'm sure if the wood was rotten in any way that it would effect tonal qualities and not be used in an instrument. For a cue I would think it's fine.

skjold_ec4_spbw_top.jpg

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
As I understand it, the spalting comes from a bacteria, which causes the wood to begin to rot. The trick is to catch the wood before it's cellulose fibers begin to go soft....not always an easy thing to do.

I also found out the the birdseye effect that is so highly sought after, is actually caused by a worm/worms that live between the bark and the tree itself. It eats the wood in a circular or swirl pattern, and then the living tree grows into these swirls, filling them, and thus causing the birdseyes. He's got a maple burl clock he made, that is wall-to-wall birdseye...it's really amazing!

He has yet to find out just what it is that causes the fiddleback, tiger-stripe, or more commonly referred to, curly effect.

My husband used to work with maple and maple burls in the Oregon forests, and did research to find out what causes the different 'anomolies' in it.

Lisa

Birdseyes, in the Maple, are caused by a disease not worms...JER

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
The Pic

That is truly beautiful color with a highly figured grain. However that is not spalted, just highly figured grain. It sure is purty tho. Shame I no longer have the pics. I will try to take a couple and get my daughter to download and send them to me.

I'm very familiar with spalted maple as I have had a wood burning stove for around 40 years. One poster, early in this post said it right. It is indeed rotting wood. If u get it early, prior to it becoming soft and pithy, it is hard and stable. If u get it too late, it is nothing but a soft, spongy bunch of rotten wood. The designs, as it is not the wood's grain, are simply stunning. It is most often found in maple burls. Perhaps this is spalted maple and the Q maker (Gracie Cortes) simply applied a stain, as spalted maple is almost white in color. I do know, however, that my Q is extremely attractive and really sticks out. I have had people come from several tables away to c it close up and ask questions. And for those doubters,:rolleyes: it does have a great solid hit. Nothing mushy or wimpy about it. It does have a weight bolt and weighs in at 18.5 ounces. The 4 ebony points on a highly figured tiger maple forearm are a full 10 inches long and hand made, extremely sharp tips.

daytonajoe

Deceased
Around november of last year Worminator of this board
http://www.new2youqs.com/
had a beautifull Kikel Spalted maple cue that I wanted but was short of funds at the time that he sold on Ebay. If I ever see a cue like tat again I will be grabbing it !!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BrooklynJay said:
Lots of spalted woods are used in very high end basses and is very sought after. I'm sure if the wood was rotten in any way that it would effect tonal qualities and not be used in an instrument. For a cue I would think it's fine.

skjold_ec4_spbw_top.jpg
A solid body guitar like that is probably heavily sealed with something like an epoxy. Are you saying you don't believe what you are being told as to how the spalting occurs?

Subsonic2u

No wonder I can't shoot
Silver Member
My past posts on spalting

First let me say that the pic of the quitar is a stunning beauty. :cool: Wow

Macguy: I just re read my posts, and I never once came close to saying that I did not believe what I was being told as to the cause of spalting. In fact, I don't even c how u arrived at that opinion. :confused: All I know is that it is indeed wood that is in the process of rotting. I live in PA and most of the wood I burn is maple. I c spalted maple probably almost daily during the wood burning season. In the early stages it is still heavy and solid with beautiful markings. In the late stages it becomes soft, light and spongy, hardly worth burning. Now after u read this, if u still want to say I don't believe what I'm being told, then say what u want. I was on AZ late last nite and saw several of your posts, and each one was negative, agressive, and designed to start an argument. Especially the ones about Grady. If you're on the rag, just read and don't make posts until your period is over. AZ does not need counter productive posts designed to create arguments. :mad: Perhaps that's how u get your enjoys, but we don't need your problems.