Who preferred the triangle rack at the Swanee?

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Curious of the perspective from both the competitors and the spectators.

For some reason the MBR was not used this year, which is a question in itself.

I attended the tournament Saturday night and watched the stream on Sunday. I liked the hard breaking, reduced pattern racking, and the increase in randomness associated with the triangle rack used this year. Compared to this year, watching Dennis in the final last year was almost like watching him play the 9 Ball ghost.

As a spectator I didn't notice any particular delays from players trying to get a decent rack with the triangle, but this was just my observation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious of the perspective from both the competitors and the spectators.

For some reason the MBR was not used this year, which is a question in itself.

I attended the tournament Saturday night and watched the stream on Sunday. I liked the hard breaking, reduced pattern racking, and the increase in randomness associated with the triangle rack used this year. Compared to this year, watching Dennis in the final last year was almost like watching him play the 9 Ball ghost.

As a spectator I didn't notice any particular delays from players trying to get a decent rack with the triangle, but this was just my observation.

Thoughts?

i didnt see much a a difference after playing with both the magic rack and the triangle. It was still a good tournament, Not counting the 9 in the bottom 2 when its rack your own just makes sense. Dave and MArie did a great job.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I will hazard a guess that the balls had another year of play on them so the MBR could no longer be used... Mark said the balls were borderline a year or 2 ago and they may not have had replacing them in their budget.... Magic Rack does a good job but it was never designed with old ball sets in mind....

Using the triangle and worn balls is where rack mechanics thrive... Just like Joe Tucker showed with gaps if you have larger and smaller balls in the rack the size differences can be used to keep you opponent from making a ball or to help you to make one if it's rack your own.....

Give me good balls and a delta 13 Rack your own... If I can't have that I want a template... That pretty much sums it up...

Chris